CB Question

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

CB Question

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 29, 2021 16:04

It's been quite some time since I've been around here, when Chuckwagon left in somewhat of a huff I followed him to support his new blog endeavor. I'm going to smoke up 15 pounds of pork loins in some Canadian bacon and am wondering if there's a different cure other than CW's. I've used his recipe in the past without issue tho these days that seems to have quite a bit of Cure#1. Any help would be appreciated, hope y'all are doing well and staying safe. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: CB Question

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:22

With the lack of response I reckon I'll just cut the nitrite about 20% and proceed with CW's recipe. Thanks, I guess. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:27

Can you post a link to the recipe you are using or the amount of Cure #1 in the recipe? Sometimes when Cure #1 is added to a brine it appears to be a high amount, but once you do the calculations, the ppm is within regulations.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 30, 2021 18:52

redzed wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:27
Can you post a link to the recipe you are using or the amount of Cure #1 in the recipe? Sometimes when Cure #1 is added to a brine it appears to be a high amount, but once you do the calculations, the ppm is within regulations.
Hi Chris, hope you are well and staying safe. In the old recipe CW was using 4&1/2 Tbsp to six quarts of ice water, in this thread the calcs are the same

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4906

10 lbs. pork loins
3 tblspns. Cure #1
4 qts. icewater
3/4 cup powdered dextrose
1/2 cup salt

I have the old recipe printed out somewhere and will go ahead and use it again if you say it's a safe recipe. Just wondering if there are any new guidelines for using less Cure#1. Thanks in advance for your help, hope your are still enjoying your Pro 100! RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 30, 2021 21:34

After some research I find that CW's Canadian bacon brine is well within allowable limits at 2.64oz per gallon of water, the max is 3.84. Thanks for the reply Chris, stay safe! RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 31, 2021 00:56

Actually as much as 4.8 oz per gallon is considered safe and the the given amount in many recipes. So the 3 tablespoons in CW's recipes are on the low side, only about 1.75 oz. Marianski in his example uses 4.2 oz per gallon. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/hams I know that 4.2 oz per gallon may sound as a lot of nitrite, and if you calculate the ppm of the nitrite in the brine it is a lot. But the amount is based on the pick up rate by the meat which, as Marianski explains can be around 4% and still well under the 200ppm that is permitted. I cure my hams and loins in an 8% brine. To each litre of water I add 72g of salt and 8g of cure #1. This is the same as if I was using a European curing salt. 8g of Cure #1 is about half a tablespoon.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 01, 2021 16:03

Thanks Chris. The way I understand is that a level tablespoon of pink curing salt weights .88 grams. You are say the weight would be .58 grams? I'll check this all out with my gold scale later, thank you Chris! RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 01, 2021 16:49

Last time I weighed a tablespoon of #1 cure it was 16.5 grams