Swedish Ham

TheMeatUpYYC

Swedish Ham

Post by TheMeatUpYYC » Wed Nov 23, 2022 15:48

The Deli I work at caters to Scandinavian countries mainly but I am not of that lineage. One of the products on offer but rarely taken up is a “Swedish Ham”. Essentially an unsmoked ham. BUT specifically “Swedish” style. Any recipes I have seen all refer to cooking the ham, not manufacturing it.

does anyone have experience with manufacturing the ham itself?

Typically I remove the hock and knuckle leaving the skin attached, tunnel bone it, brine it. Then weigh for size and trim meat to suit. Then I stitch the skin back in place to ensure a full cover and net it formed for a round ball shape which is apparently very important for a Swedish ham.

I’ve seen images of them bone in, netted and otherwise. Just looking for what others may be doing. If anyone else is doing it?
redzed

Re: Swedish Ham

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 24, 2022 02:48

Do you then poach the ham?
TheMeatUpYYC

Post by TheMeatUpYYC » Fri Nov 25, 2022 01:23

We do not. I believe it is poached then coated in mustard and herbs then baked in the home.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 25, 2022 04:23

So it's basically a boneless cured, not smoked ham. What makes it "Swedish" is the way it's cooked and served. Just one of the many many ways to prepare a ham. I prefer smoked ham which is then poached to temp, sliced and eaten cold or baked with a honey glaze and served hot. Occasionally I also prepare it cured only in a ham press. The Swedish cooked version looks interesting, as it's baked in a sweet and spicy crust.
Links
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Links » Mon Dec 05, 2022 22:05

Swedish ham is essentially what the British call gammon (brined fresh ham). What makes it Swedish is they spread an egg yolk and mustard all over and add bread crumbs and spices. They bake it and make an au jus for bread dipping. Finding an unsmoked, unsweetened, uncooked, brined ham where I live in Virginia is almost impossible.