Salceson - Polish Headcheese

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Made some salceson

Post by jjnurk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16

I had a hankering as well and was thinking of making some next week!

Is there a taste difference is you use a beef bung vs synthetic?
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 06:04

jjnurk wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16
Is there a taste difference is you use a beef bung vs synthetic?
I

I think so. My dad always made salceson in pigs' stomachs, and there I am positive that the flavour was ratcheted up a couple of notches. With a beef bung (kątnica) maybe not so much, but there is some difference. But importantly, it looks better and the visual effect is an important determining factor in deciding whether something tasted goo or not. :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 24, 2021 06:35

When there is nothing else to do on a Saturday......

Image Image

Image Image
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 24, 2021 15:18

That looks delicious.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Sun Jan 24, 2021 15:25

Definitely looks great. I have always been a bit skeeved by meat gelatin...cold (vs melted into soup or stew). And this looks like just the perfect amount to everything together but not a bit more.

I am going to Meat Jelly Anonymous to work through the 12 step program to become an aficionado. So far I'm good with Melton Mowbray style pork pies. With some mustard, I'm sure Salceson (or at least Red's) would be easy to move me in the right direction
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun Jan 24, 2021 15:33

Looks great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:19

Image Image

What do you do when the weather is rainy and you are stuck indoors? You make salceson! This is a "salceson wyborowy", made only the leaner pieces of meat from a pork head, pork hocks, and a beef tongue. Broth used in the final product was defatted and clarified. Meats were cured in an 8% brine for 5 days. Gently poached for nearly 3 hours, partially cooled, taken off the boned and cut into 2-4cm cubes. Skins were defatted, chilled and ground through a 4.5mm plate. Seasoned with pepper, caraway, all spice, and fresh chopped garlic. Approximately 200ml of broth was added to the meat and mixed well with the spices. Stuffed into a beef bung and poached in the remaining broth for 90 minutes at 80C. Chilled with cold water, pressed and rested overnight in the fridge. With a piece of good rye bread, something sharp and you are in heaven!

P.S. I changed the name of this thread to facilitate easier searches.

Image Image
jens49
User
User

Re: Salceson - Polish Headcheese

Post by jens49 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 18:53

Respect!
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Oct 14, 2021 19:05

Very nice. In my attempts at head cheese I have used commercial gelatin, flavored with stock. The flavor was never quite right. Is there a way to make a decent head cheese without a whole head? Maybe just hocks, tongue and skin, which are things I can more readily buy?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 15, 2021 15:35

jens49 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 18:53
Respect!
Thank you, Jens!
Lorenzoid wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 19:05
Very nice. In my attempts at head cheese I have used commercial gelatin, flavored with stock. The flavor was never quite right. Is there a way to make a decent head cheese without a whole head? Maybe just hocks, tongue and skin, which are things I can more readily buy?
I think the head, especially the dark red cheek meat does add extra flavour to the end product. However, you can made a very good salceson without the head. You can certainly make it with the cuts you mention and can add pork feet as well, for flavour and natural gelatin. I cook the meats in a broth with the addition of whole peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley and the holy trinity (celery, onions and carrots). I take out a portion of the broth after cooking, strain it, defat it and reduce it. I then add this broth along with salt (if necessary), ground caraway, pepper, all spice and garlic to the cooked and cubed meats. And I now also add a sall amount of gelatin to make sure I have a firm product which will not crumble even if sliced thinly.I then poach the salceson for 90 minutes in the remaining broth. That way I get as much flavour as possible.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Fri Oct 15, 2021 18:48

redzed wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 15:35
I think the head, especially the dark red cheek meat does add extra flavour to the end product. However, you can made a very good salceson without the head. You can certainly make it with the cuts you mention and can add pork feet as well, for flavour and natural gelatin. I cook the meats in a broth with the addition of whole peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley and the holy trinity (celery, onions and carrots). I take out a portion of the broth after cooking, strain it, defat it and reduce it. I then add this broth along with salt (if necessary), ground caraway, pepper, all spice and garlic to the cooked and cubed meats. And I now also add a small amount of gelatin to make sure I have a firm product which will not crumble even if sliced thinly.I then poach the salceson for 90 minutes in the remaining broth. That way I get as much flavour as possible.
Thanks! And I apologize for not having read the thread from the beginning, which would have answered my question and then some! So many ways to make this product and other head cheeses. I witnessed a whole head being boiled and have been intrigued ever since. The head cheese I have made was basically the aspic version in a terrine pan. Salceson is a different thing, but looks very appealing. I'll give it a try.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 14:31

redzed wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:19
Image Image

What do you do when the weather is rainy and you are stuck indoors? You make salceson! This is a "salceson wyborowy", made only the leaner pieces of meat from a pork head, pork hocks, and a beef tongue. Broth used in the final product was defatted and clarified. Meats were cured in an 8% brine for 5 days. Gently poached for nearly 3 hours, partially cooled, taken off the boned and cut into 2-4cm cubes. Skins were defatted, chilled and ground through a 4.5mm plate. Seasoned with pepper, caraway, all spice, and fresh chopped garlic. Approximately 200ml of broth was added to the meat and mixed well with the spices. Stuffed into a beef bung and poached in the remaining broth for 90 minutes at 80C. Chilled with cold water, pressed and rested overnight in the fridge. With a piece of good rye bread, something sharp and you are in heaven!

P.S. I changed the name of this thread to facilitate easier searches.

Image Image
Chris I'm assuming that 200ml broth is per kg of meat? I got a box of frozen foot on whole hocks and a head the other day from a small plant my friend works at now. I split the head and cut up the hocks and feet on my band saw and put them in brine last night. Will be making head cheese and hot dogs this weekend. My 7 gallon Cabela's meat mixer gear box crapped the bed on the weekend. Parts are not available anymore. Going to see if My old Pops machinist can braze up where the teeth broke off and had cut in new teeth. Otherwise I have a 7 gallon cereal bowl!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 20, 2021 16:53

My Cabela's 7 gallon mixer is still running, but it's my second one. I'm really careful with it and don't put more than 15lbs into it. It's truly a piece of junk and Cabela's should be ashamed of selling it. The cast iron gears were brittle and made out of the cheapest quality metal out there. They obviously don't take quality control seriously when contracting the Chinese to make their products. Good luck with the repair.

Yes, I add 200ml (20%) of broth to each kg. meat. If you would be making headcheese in a pan, you could add a lot more. I also added gelatin to make sure that the salceson would be firm. Don't skimp on the seasonings and you could also add some vinegar to the broth, which is what the Germans do. Hope all goes well because making the stuff is labour intensive and messy.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 19:15

Thanks Chris. I will be putting it into 90mm waterproof casings and poaching.
I have a fair bit of hocks, feet and a head so gelatin should be good! Going to put a fair bit of fresh garlic and Fresh ground black pepper.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Oct 21, 2021 20:07

I have my ingredients collected and ready to cure. I have never used skins before in any sausage. Do skins go in the nitrite cure (I'll be wet brining 3-5 days) along with the other meats?