[USA] Braunschweiger - Liver Sausage

Butterbean

[USA] Braunschweiger - Liver Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:58

Since I have recently been slaughtering some hogs I ended up with a lot of offal meats that needed a home. Thankfully, Debi at Deejay's Smoke Pit shared this recipe with me and I found it delicious and is a perfect sausage for those who don't like too strong a liver taste. I can't really describe the taste other than its very good and everyone whose tasted it has loved it as long as I didn't share the ingredients with them.

The assorted offal meats - 10 lbs. Rough breakdown (2 hearts, 3 kidneys, lights, meat 70/30) 40% Liver 60%

The spices for 10 lbs.

Meat was ground once through 1/4 plate then spices mixed and ground 2 more times.

Mince was then stuffed and sealed and dropped into a waterbath at 180F. Temp of water in pot will drop to 160F with addition of sausages. Maintain this temp till the internal temp reaches 152F in the meat.

Sausages are then pulled and dropped in an ice water bath to cool. Once cooled, sausages are then hung to dry then placed in the smoker at 125F with heavy smoke and left until the desired color is reached. About 3 hours. I pulled mine at 2.5 hours.

End product looked like this.

Am told these sausage will not keep very well and need to be consumed fairly quickly which shouldn't be a problem. I finished these on Sunday only have 1.5 sticks left cause it was enjoyed so much by people. I did stick one in the freezer and I'm going to see how it fairs but I suspect it will get a little gritty.

Here is the exact recipe I was given. I modified it myself by adding 1/2 TBS of black pepper. This is definitely an offal sausage I will make again.

Braunschweiger Liver sausage

For 10 lbs sausage-
2 cups non fat dry milk
5 Tb salt
2 Tb onion powder
2 Tb powdered dextrose
2 tsp insta cure No. 1
1 Tb ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp ground marjoram
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
10 lbs organ meats

grind all meats through a 1/4" plate several times. Mix all ingredients. Stuff into casings.

place Braunschweiger into cooker with water pre heated to 180F. Water temp will drop to 160 - 165. Continue cooking until internal temp reaches 152. After cooking place sausage into container filled with ice and water and cool as rapidly as possible for 1 -2 hours.

Remove from water hang on sticks. You may shower Braunschweiger with hot water for 30 seconds to remove surface grease. Hang at room temp for 1 hour or until dry. Remove to 115-120 F pre heated smoker. Apply heavy smoke at this temp for approx 3 hours or until desired color is obtained. After smoking shower with cool water for about 5 minutes. Let dry and remove to fridge overnight.
Last edited by Butterbean on Sat May 19, 2012 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Tue Mar 27, 2012 17:09

I am a huge fan of Braunschweiger- what kind of casings did you use? These look amazing.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 27, 2012 17:10

BB, You listed hearts, kidneys, "lights", meat, and liver. What are lights? lungs? Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:52

Ross, those are the piggy's headlights! You know... so he can see where he's going in the dark. I don't know where his dimmer switch is though.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:55

I always figgered that they just followed their nose.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:57

Butterbean, your recipe is magnifique'! Great photos and clear directions. Most professional. Thanks for sharing. I've got a hunch more than just a few folks will be making this great sausage. Nicely done pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 19:16

ssorllih wrote:BB, You listed hearts, kidneys, "lights", meat, and liver. What are lights? lungs? Thanks.
Yep. Comes from Middle English lihtes or lightes, referring to the lungs as the light organs. The word lung comes from the Old German lunge or lungen, literally meaning "the light organs". More than you ever wanted to know about lights.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 28, 2012 02:25

Lynn, this was the first time I ever made these but each year try to try something different with the "odd" pieces of meat and like you, I really like this recipe so I'll definitely be making it again. I used a collagen casing - I think it was 100 mm but I'm not good with mm's. About 3 inches. Got them from Butcher Packer.

ssorllih, what vagreys said but in my case it also includes a few odd pieces that I don't exactly know what they are :oops:

Oh, one very important thing that I omitted and I tried to edit post but the time limit had expired so I will add it here, since this is a more of a paste don't make the mistake like I did by immediately sticking the temperature probe into the sausage before its had ample time to cook and harden some else the mince will ooze out of the hole when it cooks and make a mess. But I'm sure ya'll knew better just as I did but I did it anyway just as I've done before. Maybe one day I'll remember not to do it. :oops:
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Wed Mar 28, 2012 13:49

Nope....I would have stuck that thermometer right into the sausage - probably smack dab in the middle of it's length!!! Thanks for the reminder, Butterbean.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:44

Don't have a recipe but a commercial plant in our town puts in diced Jalapenos in their liver sausage. Very, very good.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Thu Mar 29, 2012 19:10

Looks Offal good will have to try that sometime.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat May 05, 2012 13:37

The liver sausages I have made in the past was from 100% liver heart tongue and is usually a bit dry. The recipes I have been reading from HPoQM&S by the MArianski's call for fat...as much as 30%.

Would you use fat next time Butterbean or is the sausage moist enough?

Dave
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:25

Looks like a great recipe and product, thank you for sharing with us! I can offer this hint, I know it's hard to get a long sausage in a round pan when cooking it which results in having to go with short sausages. Do a Google search for"fish poaching pans". They are long and narrow and work great for poaching a long sausage. You may be restricted to one sausage at a time, but mine works great for me. Search for the longest one you can find.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 16:32

Good idea. I have also been looking at oval shaped turkey roasters. You can get used enamelware ones on eBay pretty cheap. Have been making lunchmeats lately, and poaching the chubs in a round pot has not been very practical.
altonsuny

Post by altonsuny » Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:19

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up. :)
testking practice test and exam questions testking practice test and exam questions
640-816 practice questions 640-816 practice questions