[USA] Braunschweiger - Liver Sausage

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:30

I often see enameled roasters in the Goodwill Stores here.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Mon May 06, 2013 17:04

Butterbeans recipe is a KEEPER! I made it and will again. Can't eat too much though
because my family won't eat liver anything. So, the next time I make some I'll pass out most of it.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 14:37

Butterbean, could I request a clarification on the meat products in the recipe? You gave the following.

The assorted offal meats - 10 lbs. Rough breakdown (2 hearts, 3 kidneys, lights, meat 70/30) 40% Liver 60%

I understand the 2 hearts, 3 kidneys, (1) set of lungs. What has me confused is the meat 70/30 and 40% liver 60%.

If I were to guess, I'd say you're talking about 4# offal cuts, and 6# liver?? If the offal cuts are shy of the 4# needed, you'd add a 70/30 meat to make-up the difference?? How about pork butt which is 80/20 meat to fat ratio?

Thanks for the clarification.
Rick
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 14, 2013 14:58

That would work fine. All I was doing was trying to get 40% "meat" to add to the liver to dilute the liver down.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 27, 2014 19:24

Had a calf break its ankle yesterday while it was messing around in a hay ring so I had to put it down. I butchered the calf and took the lights and made some more braunschweiger. Used this recipe only I added 1 tsp of red pepper and used the liver, heart, kidneys and lungs from the calf. Didn't add any extra meat. Didn't emulsify just ground twice with the course plate. Poached only.

Result was some of the best braunschweiger I've ever tasted. Don't know if the addition of the red pepper put it over the top or if it was the use of veal rather than pork. At any rate it was outstanding from the texture to the flavor. Well pleased to say least.

Amended recipe

For 10 lbs sausage-
2 cups non fat dry milk
5 Tbs salt
2 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs powdered sugar
2 tsp insta cure No. 1
1 Tb ground white pepper
1 tsp of red pepper powder
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp ground marjoram
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
10 lbs organ meats - veal
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 27, 2014 20:02

My mouth is watering Butterbean!

I just made a loaf of Rye bread and liverwurst on (buttered)rye with onion and mustard is probably my favorite sandwich. :shock:

Is that a fibrous or plastic casing?

Sorry about the calf.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 27, 2014 20:47

Good stuff isn't it?

Its just 124 mm bologna casing.

Cattle just seem to look for ways to get hurt or killed. I was glad I was able to put the calf to good use though. It ended up going to a family with four foster children. I have plenty of meat and offered it to a foster parent thinking he might take the problem off my hands and I'd have the day to relax. I saw right quick he was in over his head when he started talking about cutting all the meat off the bone and making hamburger so I did just what I had intended not to do and butchered, processed, packaged and froze the meat for him to take home. He said he didn't eat liver or heart hence the braunschweiger. He now loves liver. He thought it was incredible. We now have a convert.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 29, 2014 07:38

Butterbean, that stuff looks great! Anything made from veal always tastes more delicate and mild. I'm not that crazy about beef liver but would eat veal liver with onions seven times a week!

And kudos to you for donating the meat to a needy family. What a generous gesture, and so fitting at this time of the year!
Bob K

Recipe Conversion

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 17, 2016 14:33

Meats 100%

Salt 2%
Cure #1 .25 %
NFDM 5.3%
Onion Powder .27 %
Powdered Sugar .27%
White Pepper .15%
Red Pepper .04%
Ground Cloves .02%
Ground Allspice .02%
Rubbed Sage .02%
Marjoram .02%
Nutmeg .02%
Ginger .02%

Making this this week so here is a % conversion

Buddy killed 6 pigs yesterday....more offal than I could ever use
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jul 18, 2016 15:01

Its amazing how far the offal can go isn't it?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jul 18, 2016 18:00

Yea it is . I brought a cooler full of "stuff" home last night. Cutting and freezing today. Too darn hot to make sausage.

Have you ever heard of Pork stock? There were lots of meaty bones from the folks that wanted boneless cuts. I've only made beef and chicken stock.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jul 18, 2016 18:28

Yes. I can pork stock and keep it on the ready. Its great to use in cooking and especially shines when you use this rather than water when making rice. FWIW, I've found its best to cool the stock and skim any excess fat from the top before canning to insure a good seal.

One of the most delicious pork stocks I've tasted comes from the stock you have left over when making boudin. It turns out as a highly seasoned stock that is really incredible.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jul 21, 2016 14:41

Yeah it's great. I especially like the stock that a pig's head makes, and if you have a trotter to toss in it will improve any stock by adding plenty of collagen. Pork stock sometimes smells kind of bad when it gets going but don't let that put you off. Also, it requires more skimming early on. Don't let it boil hard before you skim or it will get cloudy. It's a great base for any soup, but my favorite application is chili.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33

Thank you both!
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2016 09:45

Back home - in New Zealand - one of the favourite foods for the Maori is 'boil-up', or "puha' ( Used to be Puha and Pakeha ( Pakeha the name for White person!).

Take fairly meaty pork bones, such as back bone, rinse off in cold water, then slowly bring to the slight simmer as if for stock but without all the veg.
Cook out for a few hours, then add some peeled potatoes ( ones that will hold and not mush), chunks of cabbage ( as in about 3 inches square), and ( optional, but really makes the dish)plenty of watercress.Salt & pepper to taste.
Cook out for a further hour or so ( explains why i was saying about potatoes holding together) and serve in soup bowls.
Sounds strange, but usually accompanied with tomato sauce ( your equivalent is tomato ketchup), and Maori bread.
Easiest equivalent to maori bread is damper / billy bread /- flour, baking powder, milk, butter, salt, sugar, mixed to a scone dough consistency, and baked.
Very tasty, suck the bones. meat should just fall off.
Really worth while giving a try. one of myu favourites. Good way to do trotters.....