Need Mangalitza liver ideas

Doug
User
User

Need Mangalitza liver ideas

Post by Doug » Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:12

HELLO ALL,

I just got from a 425 lb pig offals; heart , kidneys, tongue and a huge liver.
I am a newbie and need recipes on what to do with them. I saw the liver sausage recipe but there is insufficient info for me to make it; time - temp etc.
Cured liver?? Anything liver, anything offal.
Thanks Doug
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:44

You can find a whole bunch of wonderful recipes here...including several for liver.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/all

Good luck...liver sausages are one of my favorites. I've used these recipes and experimented with adding all your organ meats rather than just liver. I've found the key is to use enough fat or you will be way too dry.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Feb 09, 2013 02:33

Dave Zac wrote:Good luck...liver sausages are one of my favorites. I've used these recipes and experimented with adding all your organ meats rather than just liver. I've found the key is to use enough fat or you will be way too dry.
From Dave's link I recommend the Economy Liver Sausage , it's very easy to prepare and uses most of the offal. Also very tasty!
Ron
Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Sun Feb 10, 2013 21:53

Hello Bubba

No Cure??

Thanks -- Doug
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Feb 10, 2013 22:53

Hi Doug,

I did not use a cure when I made the sausage, because of the temperatures that they a heated to. (I don't know who the Author of the recipe is)

Then I read back to other recipes for Liver Sausage to compare, have a look at this Liver Sausage with Onions recipe, it also does not call for a cure.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 10, 2013 23:11

I read recently several liver sausage recipes and the use of cure was mentioned as optional and suggested it if you desired the more pink/red color tone that it imparts.
Ross- tightwad home cook