Heavenly Souse

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:42

Butterbean, we're on to something. Free range, grass fed, USDA organic, fair trade, certified sustainable, cruelty free, locally grown, responsibly harvested manatee is all I'm eatin these days! For the children.

CW, what I gather is that if I just put cure in my sausages, I can I add whatever fresh ingredients I want to and the risk is all but zero.

Suppose I want to put fresh sage from my garden in my breakfast patties. If don't case them, and don't can them, and don't smoke them or create any of the other danger conditions for botulism, I'm not going to have any problems? I've just got meat loaf, it seems.

Or if I do case them, but keep them cold right up till when I cook them, have I deprived the botulism the environment it needs to kill me?

Jeff
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 28, 2013 03:15

I've always wondered what a manatee would taste like. I bet it would be good but I imagine it'd be hard to eat in shackles. :mrgreen:
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Feb 28, 2013 07:03

Like chicken!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:15

Jeff,
You are wrong, the taste is between cured platypus and pelican breast. Not bad at all!!!!!!!!!!
Ooops, what have I written!! Now I can expect at least 3 busloads of greenies on my doorstep demonstrating about my eating habits.
Regards,
Jan.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Cure

Post by Rick » Tue Sep 23, 2014 19:34

Butterbean, you wrote "What I did, was boil a head down in salty water with the appropriate amount of cure 1".

How did you determine how much cure that was? As I'm picking up a pig head from the slaughter house this Saturday to cook down for some meat and the gelatin and was wondering if I needed to add cure and how much?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Sep 23, 2014 23:45

You don't have to use the cure but it will make the meat a prettier color. I treated the water like a brine - 3 oz Cure 1 per gallon of water.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 02:40

I also add cure to my head cheese and not to cure it but for the colour. All I add is a tablespoon or tablespoon and a half, per three of four litres and and that is enough to do the trick. After reading this thread again it makes me want to make a nice head cheese. :lol: Wiil have to start assembling the ingredients. I already have a bunch of beef tongues to start with.