Beef liver

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Beef liver

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 15:59

Does anybody have experience using beef liver in fresh or cooked sausage, or lunch meats? I am talking about beef liver, not calve's liver. I have a good deal of beef liver on hand and my family does not like it's strong taste. I don't want to just feed it to the chickens, and I'll never eat it all myself.

I've read in Marianski's literature that it can be added up to 25%. I would just like to know if anybody has any personal experience with it, and what their advice is.

Thanks!
Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 16:35

Hi Jeff,

There are a couple of recipes on the Polish site that include beef liver. One, called Kiszka wątrobiana obornicka or Cowshed Liver Sausage, calls for 25% beef liver, 50% beef head and foot meat, brain, and lungs, and 25% of fatty pork (Class 4) trimmings. If you are interested, I can translate it for you tonight. But in reading the recipes, it appears that beef liver is acceptable in a liver sausage product. I would give it a shot in your favourite recipe, using 25% beef liver, and 75% fatty pork.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Sep 05, 2014 19:21

Is there a ban on eating cow brain and nerve tissue in Europe, due to the presence of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy ("Mad Cow Disease")? There are still restrictions in place regarding blood donors who lived for more than 3 months in the UK, and more than five years in various countries including Poland. (See http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-b ... sting#arc5 if questions.)

In light of that, substituting fatty pork sounds like a good alternative. Thanks, RedZed
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 20:06

Hi Redzed - thanks for the advice. I think that is what I'll do (25% beef liver) - no need to translate that recipe you mentioned. Thanks for offering!

Jeff