Rytek's Liverwurst with Tripe

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Rytek's Liverwurst with Tripe

Post by Rick » Fri Nov 14, 2014 23:58

I see Rytek's recipe for Liverwurst calls for pork liver, snouts and beef tripe. Once in a while I've stumbled on his recipes and found that he calls for some really strange cuts of meat, like the beef tripe!
I do have a source for the tripe, but was wondering if there is some other beef cut that can be substituted for the tripe?

What do you suppose he was thinking when he used tripe? Did he maybe get a good buy that week on tripe and decided to use it in the recipe? Next I'll be reading about a recipe that requires bull's balls! LOL Oh, I can get those too!

Has anyone made this recipe with the cuts called for? Was there something special about using beef tripe that set this sausage apart from others that might dictate the necessity for using the beef tripe?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 15, 2014 03:40

Tripe has a totally unique taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Nov 15, 2014 17:12

Thanks Ross for the reply. So would you say that the beef tripe is what sets Liverwurst apart from the other liver sausages, like Braunschweiger, which is also a type of Liverwurst?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Nov 15, 2014 18:41

Rick-
Mariankiski calls a similar recipe to Rytecs "Economy Liver Sausage http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... ge-economy

So Ole Rytec was probably using up what he had...or he could have been trying for a unique taste.
He also uses snouts in his Braunschweiger recipes and most recipes call for bellies or jowls. if you want more of a softer, spreadable sausage go with the fattier cuts.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 05:29

Hey Rick - Butterbean posted a good braunschweiger recipe using offal:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... f9bd3#8837

No tripe in it, but maybe that's a good thing! Organ meats work very well in liverwurst and braunschweiger (which is just smoked liverwurst so far as I know). In addition to liver, I've used pork heart, lungs, tongue, kidney, and spleen all in one sausage and gotten good results. Once you head down the path of a livery tasting sausage, those other organ meats fit right in. I don't think I'd use beef tripe though, since I'm not so crazy about its flavor.

Added some lung to a mortadella recently. It was good flavor-wise, but it didn't do much for the texture.

Cheers,
Jeff
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sun Nov 16, 2014 18:04

Thanks Bob and Jeff for your input. The reason for my questions are that a niece who raises her families pork each year, always requests the heart, liver, head, hocks, etc. for Uncle Rick. So now I've got a small box of pork offal.
Since I just finished up my headcheese, I'm looking for something to make with these various cuts. I had thought of the liverwurst, but wasn't so keen on the tripe. Then again, a nice Braunschweiger (stink-o meat as it's known in our house) sounds good too.