Braunschweiger and onion

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Braunschweiger and onion

Post by Rick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 15:54

Need a tip from those of you who have recently made some Braunschweiger. I see Rytek's recipe calls for 5 T. of granulated onion per 10#. Another recipe I have calls for 2-3 small onions diced, although I believe this is for 25#.

What has been your experience when it comes to adding onion? Granulated or the real McCoy, and how many, and what size?

I've never used the real McCoy in my sausage making, as it's always easier to measure 5 T which is the same every time. There can be some misunderstanding when it comes to onions and their size. Is a small like a cooking onion? Is a large like a big sweet onion? I'm hesitant on using fresh onion as I don't want to end up with an onion sausage instead of Braunschweiger that should have a predominate liver taste and a hint of onion. Not the other way around!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 24, 2014 18:44

I'm with you. What is a small onion anyway? Granted adding real onion might make it showier but it might also mess with the bind or the cut. If I wanted some showy stuff I'd be more tempted to use some scallions just for show but rely on the powder for the flavor. JMO

edit: on second thought I don't know if green and liver would go well together
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 20:41

I'm with ya on that Butterbean. As much as we all like fresh vegetables and such, it's just too hard to determine the correct amount to add without overpowering the end product. I like the scallion idea just for show too.

Rick
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 24, 2014 22:32

I make quite a bit of chicken liver spread and the onion I use is usually fresh and sautéed in fat. An onion smaller than a billiard ball seems about right for a two pound batch about 50-50 meat and liver.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 23:12

Ah yes Ross, I know you've got that schmaltz thing going don't you? I'd love to make your chicken liver spread some time. Have you posted your recipe by chance? If it's a secret family recipe, I can understand!
Funny, the wife after being forced to eat liver once a week growing up won't touch the stuff, but pâté is something she digs right into. Man-o-man, that chicken liver pâté sounds better than the braunschweiger I'm contemplating on making here in the near future!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 25, 2014 02:22

seems like I have written that pate` recipe before but here it is again. I cook a couple of pounds of chicken drums in just barely enough water to cover them. When the meat will slip from the bones I pull those out and dump 2 pounds of chicken liver into the same cooking liquid and simmer until the livers are firm and not bloody inside. The boneless meat and the livers go into the food processor and get milled with a chopped onion sautéed in chicken fat including the fat. Add enough of the cooking liquid to make a paste that will stand on a spoon and not tear or break add salt, pepper and marjoram to taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 04:06

Many thanks Ross for sharing the recipe, it's on my list!