Emulsifying

jens49
User
User

Emulsifying

Post by jens49 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 15:43

Have a question about the emulsifying stage in Jeffs Liverwurst. And other emusified products.
Most authors explain that it is necessary to keep the temperature low (under 15 C) when emulsifying.
My question is: should I raise the temperature in my Kitchen mixer by letting it Work long enough to reach said temp. or is it ok to finish at about 5C? About 5 minutes.
My question araises because I felt that the fat was not totally incorperated into the mix.
Great taste - not so great texture. Also the color of the finished product darkened quite quickly when exposed to air.
Wonder if an amount of vit. C would help. If so what would that amount be?
TIA
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 07:08

Hi Jens - Are you referring to my recipe, "Jeff's Fatty Liverwurst"? I am new at emulsifying and that liverwurst was my first go at using a food processor to do so. I kept the temperature low but did not keep emulsifying until reaching the maximum allowable temperature of 59F. Once the meat slurry was very smooth with no distinction between meat, liver, and fat, and bubbles started to appear if I stopped spinning the blade, I stopped emulsifying. I think the meat temp was still about 40F at that point. Re. the color, I used cure #1 and I think that is what kept it nice looking in the color department. I did not cook the liver first as many recipes recommend. Instead I ground the meat, fat and liver through a fine plate twice, then emulsified after re-chilling the meat, so it started out very cold in the food processor.

The second time I made this recipe it didn't turn out as well. I think that's because when I poached it I heated the water first, then put the sausage in. Should have started it in cool water and brought it up to 165-70 very slowly. I lost a lot of the fat, but the emulsion did not completely break and the end product was still good, just not as spreadable as the first batch. So a word to the wise about the poaching part.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
jens49
User
User

Post by jens49 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 16:20

Hi Jeff
It was your xtra spreadable liverwurst recipe I was referring to. Great taste, my grandson keeps asking for more. Although it didnt turn out quite AS spreadable as I Would have liked.
I was just thinking why everyone talks about 14 - 15 C. We both could easily keep a very Low temp. So why not keep it as cold as possible?
I also used #1 cure, Nice color When opened but it darkened really Quickly, like in Half an hour.
Have thought of trying with calf liver. I Will be back if I do.
Thanks
Jens DK
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 05:40

I can't figure out why yours turned darker after cutting into it, when mine didn't darken a bit. Did you used raw or cooked liver? Maybe that made a difference, I don't know. Maybe other forum members might know.

I agree - why not keep the emulsion good and cold.

I'll be interested to hear about your calves liver(wurst). I've thought of doing the same.

Jeff