Kaszanka - Polish Blood Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 21:08

My dad always made it with buckwheat. I have eaten kaszanka with pearl barley and it seems to have a milder, almost sweeter taste. Because Mrs. Redzed has to have a gluten free diet, I make mine only with buckwheat. :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 23:10

After looking at this thread I realized it has been a while since I indulged in this delicacy, so I had no choice but to make some. Unfortunately I didn't have any head meat or jowls which always add to the flavour. Instead, for the meat portion I used a large pork hock and fatty trimmings from ribs. The rest of the recipe is essentially the same as the one at the start of this thread. Just so that I would get the right amount salt into the product, I added 2% salt at the very end when the cooked meats, liver, blood and the buckwheat were seasoned, mixed and ready for stuffing. This time I used beef middles and they worked out well.

And my craving was satisfied yesterday as I had a serving of kaszanka at every meal. :lol:

Perfect temperature control using a portable induction heater and sous vide circulator.

Kaszanka after poaching

Looking good!

Fried kaszanka for breakfast

Baked kaszanka for lunch

Broiled kaszanka for dinner
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Kaszanka - Polish Blood Sausage

Post by jjnurk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 15:35

Has anyone made kaszanka using beef blood vs pork? Pork blood is really difficult to get here but there is an abundace of beef blood. If so, is there a big difference in flavour?
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 28, 2019 16:28

I have never made it with beef blood, but this is not to say that you can't. My dad, the Polish trained butcher said that they always used pork blood at the place where he learned the craft. So in Polish style blood sausages, pork blood has been preferred. But Marianski tells us that any blood can the used. Using beef blood you will have a much darker product and probably a different and stronger flavour.
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... od-sausage
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 28, 2019 17:57

I contacted "Arkadiusz" in Poland who is the resident expert when it comes to "wędliny podrobowe" on the Polish WD site, and he said that you can certainly use beef blood.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Mar 28, 2019 19:47

Looks terrific. I may have to give this a go after I get some pigs raised.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 13:40

Thx for info. When I talked with the local Poles on this subject, they're just used to pork blood and really haven't heard of anyone using beef, including my Mom, who used to make quite a bit of it back in the day. She figured the flavour might be quite overpowering. Gonna give it a whirl anyways. :D .
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 29, 2019 15:06

Just make sure you krep it from coagulating. The blood should be continually mixed while being collected, you can add salt and strain through a cheese cloth bfore using. I buy my pork blood frozen at store tha caters to Phillipinos. There are three such stores in Regina. Did you check them out?
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 17:44

Yea I did, none of them have it. They figure in about 3 weeks, lots of beef blood though. I was also going to try to make some liverwurst but there are no middles around here either. Maybe next week. I guess weekend off :lol: .
JjNUrK
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 18:30

Few days ago was "kaszanka day" in Mass.
Recipe almost as same as before. One addition was pig head meat. Total kaszanka - 18 kg.
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0066.JPG
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 14, 2020 17:35

Looks delish! You made me hungry this morning. What is your favorite way of eating it?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 18:46

Skinless, sliced (5-8 mm thick), cold, sprinkled with vinegar.... without any bread. Second way - pan fried with onion and cucumber in brine and sprinkled with vinegar ....(also without any bread). Also - on grill - sliced (12-15 mm (1/2-5/8 ")), filled with rings of onion between slices, over- wrapped with allu-foil then slowly grilled .... :) :)
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 23:34

Sounds like you re positive on how you like to eat it. Are the cucumbers in brine the sun pickles where a slice of bread is placed on top of the brine to add to the ferment?
YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by YooperDog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 14:36

Making me hungry reviewing this thread. It has been about a year since my last bite of Kaszanka. Closest place that would have all these ingredients about 300 miles away, I will have to wait until this virus lockdown before I make the trip.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Sun Jan 31, 2021 17:50

Hey kaszanka experts! I finally was able to get some frozen pork blood and hopefully I'll be able to make some in the upcoming weekend. I don;t want to screw it up the first time and was wondering what is the best way to prepare the blood. From what I've read and heard, it seems to vary from (1) boiling it (2) adding salt (3) adding vinegar or a combo of each, mixing it and straining it. I was thinking just adding a little salt, mixing, straining and then adding to the mince. Thoughts?
JjNUrK