Kaszanka - Polish Blood Sausage

redzed

Kaszanka - Polish Blood Sausage

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 06:59

Once in a while I am overcome with a desire for something that I haven't eaten in a while and for some reason I have been wanting a bit of kaszanka (also known as Kiszka Kaszana). My dad used to make it at home now and then and it usually resulted in a traffic jam on our street with his Polish and Ukrainian friends coming to pick up a few links. Kaszanka is poached so you could eat it cold, but it also tastes great fried or baked. But now my favourite way to eat it is off the grill.

So yesterday was kaszanka day! I sourced some frozen blood, added hock meat, pork skins, pork hearts and 5% liver. Kaszanka can be made with barley or buckwheat and while I would have preferred barley, I used buckwheat because in our domestic situation it had to be without gluten. The ingredients and methodology applied closely resemble the recipe for Kaszanka Wyborowa from the 1959 Polish Government compendium. Stan Marianski translated it and you can view it here: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... s/kaszanka

I think it needed more pepper but I'm quite happy with the results. Actually I've been eating it all day and will have more tomorrow! Obviously I needed that fix quite badly!

For those of you that are not squeamish, I highly recommend it! Pork blood has a nice bright red colour so can just pretend you are adding wine. Or you could omit the blood entirely and you can enjoy a Kaszanka Biała (White Kaszanka).

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05

Hi red,

Its one of my favorite sausage too.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 18:21

Joe, too bad you are not in the neighbourhood, I'd love to share some of this delicacy with you! :grin: Inasmuch as my friends can't get enough of my sausages, only a couple expressed an interest in this kiszka. I guess I hang out with the wrong crowd. :sad:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Aug 07, 2015 23:11

hmm why you are so far Chris? It looks like exactly from my teen ages, and taste must be same (I've seen ingredients on Polish site). One of my favorite on grill - one link of Kaszanka cut in 1/2" thick slices, fill up space between cuts with 1/4 thick full ring of onion, over wrap with aluminum foil, slowly grill on top shelf until hot and soft in touching. mniammmmm
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 08, 2015 08:00

Stefan I was also inspired to make the kaszanka after reading Paweljack's experiments with making it on the Polish forum. My father who is 91 still makes a lot of sausage, probably about 200 pounds a month. But he has not made kaszanka for a while now because it's a messy job and he hates cleaning up. So I had to make my own.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Aug 09, 2015 16:35

Chris - what I see on pictures - your "Kaszanka" was worth a every second of cleaning up mess made during preparing. Again - it looks so perfect, so exactly like my Mom's product.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 20:51

Chris - thanks for your inspiration. My mouth is watering so I have started to looking for ingredients. And it is problem here with: pork blood, pork liver, pork heart. Biggest problem is with pork blood. I have found "slashing" farm but they not collecting a blood because they under FDA inspection. Local Chinese markets not provide it eider. Not giving up yet....
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 13, 2015 18:02

Stefan, the frozen blood I bought was brought into the store for their Filipino customers. So try a store that caters to Filipinos (Pinoys). And be careful not to put more than 50g/kg of liver or else it will be too dominant.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 16:08

Chris - will do not more than 50g/kg of liver. If will have a more that needed, my wife will make a "pasztet". In my part of World couldn't find any Filipino store http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/templates/li ... /icon7.gif, but I've found a slaughterhouse on farm, and they will sell a fresh blood, liver, heart - just one hour drive. So when time will come - will post what I did in "kaszanka" department http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/templates/li ... /icon6.gif
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 17:03

Wow!!!!!! really great kaszanka good job bravo!!!!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Oct 05, 2016 00:13

Yesterday in Massachusetts was Kaszanka day. Finally I got 3 LB pig blood(frozen))(Vietnamese market) and decided that will make it. I have used recipe posted by Arkadiusz on polish website WD.
Total meat - 6kg including:
Jowls - 1 kg
pig heart - 0.75kg
pork butt - 1.75 kg
pork belly trims 1kg
meat from bones 0.5kg
hocks - 1 kg
Additionally - boiled and grinded pork skin - 075 kg
Blood - 1.5kg
Pig liver - 0.75 kg
Barley - 1.5 kg before poaching
Buckwheat - 1.5 kg
meats and bones - slowly boiled for around 3 hours. Cooled dawn separated and prepared for grinding - plate 6 mm. Skin, liver, blood(boiled in high barrier casing) grinded by plate 3 mm.
For groats I used 6 liters of stock - (buckwheat need less time to be poached).
Spices:
17g/kg salt
Black pepper - 2g/kg
All spice - 0.5g/kg
Marjoram 1.5g/kg
Onion dry flakes - 2g/kg
Beef rounds 42 mm
Product poached in 80*C water for 60 min.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 05, 2016 13:10

Stefan the Kaszanka looks great! Image You made me hungry and now I have to look at getting some blood and make a batch. Luckily I found a small abattoir where they will save blood for you if you call them a few days ahead and will also freeze it. It is a 65km drive from my house, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :grin:

But will have to put it off since mushroom season has finally arrived and it's time to hit the forest!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 26, 2016 05:08

Below is a recipe for another version of Kaszanka Wyborowa (Choice Blood sausage). It was posted on the Polish Wedliny Domowe forum and authored by one of their very active members Pis67. I translated it after our member BlueMonkey posted a request for a blood sausage with pork lungs. I have never tried blood sausages with lungs, but as an aside I have eaten pierogies stuffed with a lung mixture and they were delightful!

I think this recipe is a worthwhile addition to the the collection on our forum! :lol:

Choice Blood Sausage (Kaszanka Wyborowa)

Author, Pis67 http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/topic/534 ... -wyborowa/

Meats (5kg total)
Pork Lungs - left and right) 1kg
Side pork or belly from groin area - 2kg
Skin -1kg
Fat trimmings with skin on, from ham or shoulder -1kg
The composition of the meats can be changed, however it is important to use skin and lungs and that the meat not be lean. I sometimes add heart and knuckle.
Blood -1L
White buckwheat or barley -1.6kg

Spices (amounts per kg of all components)
Salt - see notes below.
Raw onion - 100g
Pepper -2g
Allspice -.5g / kg
Cloves- .2 g / kg
Marjoram -1.5g / kg
Nutmeg -.2 g / kg

Instructions
I throughly rinse and soak the lungs in cold water. The meats are poached at 90C until semi-soft in a minimum amount of water, then remove, and separate the meats and skins, and chill the broth. Usually I prepare and cook the meats in the evening and make the sausage the following day. I skim the fat from the jellied broth and weigh out 3.5kg of it (2.2kg per 1 kg of groats), and heat it in a large pot.
I weigh skins and meat, and then throw them into the hot broth for a few moments, remove and grind them while they are hot, using the 4mm plate. The remaining meats I grind with the 8mm plate.

Salt is then added at rate of 17g per kg of the total of all components, therefore:
Meat and skins after cooking weigh 3.5kg
Broth 3.5kg
Groats 1.6kg
Blood 1.0kg
Onion.5kg
So the amount of salt is 10.1 kg x 17g = 170g

The groats are added to the broth and cooked over low heat for 30 minutes, and then kept warm under a blanket for an hour.
Next I combine the groats and with the onion, skins and spices, the amounts of which I calculate by multiplying 10 times the amount per kilogram (for example, pepper 10x2g = 20g). I then mix this quickly, but thoroughly and leave covered for another 10 minutes.

I add the meat and blood mix and stuff into small hog casings 28-32mm. The sausage links are tied with string so that they would not unravel during the poaching. The kaszanka is poached at a temp. of 80-82 degrees for 30-40 minutes and then hung on sticks in a cool room. The next day I cold smoke it for 30-40 minutes.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 21:06

Hey Red and Stefan, due to high demand from my Polish Mom, in-laws and friends, I've been volunteered to make some kaszanka. Everything look relatively simple, just one question...... what type of barley is used pearl, pot, hulled, etc? Does it really matter at the end or just what's in the pantry?
JjNUrK
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Sep 22, 2018 19:10

jjnurk wrote:what type of barley is used pearl, pot, hulled, etc? Does it really matter at the end or just what's in the pantry?
I have used pearl barley.
IMO best taste is when i mixed half of weight of pearl barley and half of white buckwheat (just different time to poach groats - i do that separately).