Another 2 recipes wanted - Blood Sausage & Liver sausage

BlueMonkey
User
User

Another 2 recipes wanted - Blood Sausage & Liver sausage

Post by BlueMonkey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 14:16

Hi All.

I have been lucky enough to source an organic pig farmer who provides me meat the last friday of every month, and all parts of the pig I require ( lungs / blood / snouts / liver etc).

This Friday will be my next delivery. Already in the freezer I have several heads/jowls/ lungs/hearts/livers etc, and i have more arriving, and a side of pork, along with 4lt blood ( which he freezes for me).

I am looking for a good Blood Sausage recipe, and i am considering "Blood Sausage Supreme (Kiszka kaszana wyborowa)" from the meatsandsausages Site.

Looking at substituting a bit of lung for the meat, and perhaps adding a little heart ( or is this not a good idea)?

Would this be a good recipe to start with, or does any-one have another favourite?

Same with Liver Sausage. I am looking for a good recipe that others have enjoyed. I cannot emulsify though, except in a thermomix ( blender), so again, suggestions please.

Thanks all again in advance.

Tony
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Oct 25, 2016 14:49

Tony-
Go to the offal Products section for many more recipes, The liver sausage Recipe I use is below.
For more use of offal try Butterbeans: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... 06&start=0

There are several Blood sausage recipes also in the Offal section. Cant say I ever made any myself :smile:

If you can't emulsify just grind through a 1/8" plate or twice through a 1/4" plate. It's a little grainier than emulsified but not much.

Don't be afraid to try different meat/offal combos...a recipe is a starting point!

Souse or Headcheese is another great option with "parts"

Braunschweiger
Liver (Pork) 35%
Pork 35 %
Fat 30%

Salt .020 .........................................................................................
Cure #1 .0025..................................................................................
NFDM .053......................................................................................
Onion Powder .0027.......................................................................
Powdered Sugar .0027....................................................................
White Pepper .0015.........................................................................
Red Pepper .0004.............................................................................
Ground Cloves .0002........................................................................
Ground Allspice .0002........................................................................
Rubbed Sage .0002.............................................................................
Marjoram .0002...................................................................................
Nutmeg .0002.......................................................................................
Ginger .0002..........................................................................................
Ames Phos .005.....................................................................................
Ice Water .050........................................................................................

Poach at 160-165 until internal temp of 152
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 15:21

Thanks Bob.

NFDM? Ames phos.? Sorry. full names please.

Yes, I make head cheese and set in beef bungs, but want sausages. The Braunschweiger looks interesting. I may look at that, and lightly smoke. What is the shelf -life?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Oct 25, 2016 16:29

NFDM = Non fat dry milk powder
AmesPhos = Phosphate to retain moisture http://www.theingredientstore.com/gener ... s/2010.htm It is an optional ingredient, but does make it more "spreadable"

I smoke mine also before poaching. Shelf life I am not sure, I vac-seal and freeze what won't be used within a week or so.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Oct 26, 2016 00:03

BlueMonkey, I learned the hard way that you shouldn't stick your temperature probe into the sausage till its had some time to cook and firm up some. Let it poach and firm up before you probe it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 26, 2016 05:33

Hi BlueMonkey, adding lungs to a Polish style blood sausage is quite common and popular. I translated a recipe for you from the Polish forum and posted it on the thread about Kaszanka. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... d3e4#35329 You will note there that I made what I thought was an excellent version of the Kiszka Kaszana Wyborowa and Stefan also posted his excellent recipe in that thread. And just for you I translated a recipe for blood sausage with pork lungs from the Polish Wedliny Domowe forum.

As far as liver sausages, you have endless possibilities in all the member recipes here and the whole slew of versions in the updated and expanded compendium by Stanley and Adam Marianski http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

You are lucky in being able to source all those goodies to make blood and liver sausages. Please let us know how you make out and post pics of your products.
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 07:33

Once again I am indebted to you gentlemen.

Thank you.

Yes, I will endeavour to take some pics of what I decide to make next.

Currently my curing chamber consists of
1xCoppa
1x Bresaola
1x Culatello
1x Fiocco
2 xSchinkenspeck (made from loin - currently cold smoking at night - chamber during the day as temps are on the rise here)
Polish Cold Smoked Salami (5 kg)
Hungarian Salami (12 - only about 20cm long for ease of giving away whole)
Side Bacon (cut in half to hang in smoker without trailing too close to the smoke inlet)
Lamb prosciutto (full leg on the bone)

This does not include my finished and vac-packed products.....
So getting quite busy in there, and need to plan the turn-around times carefully however I admit I freeze the pork prior to making most items as I tend to only cold smoke and dry, therefore it is my safety nod toward trichinosis, so it is not as though everything turns up on the day and I am running frantic!
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 13:15

Thanks all,
finally got around to making my Blood Sausage Supreme (Kiszka kaszana wyborowa), admittedly making a few changes, with the addition of heart and lung, and adjusting the meat proportions accordingly.
I cooked everything, then weighed, and added spices etc to the final meat weight, not to green weight. In total 3 pigs heads, 2 large hearts. I kept the liver to the recipe 5% so it would not be too strong.
So it was 60% total meat ( poached at about 185F (85C) until tender - liver remained raw.
Picked off the bone, then chilled overnight. Membrane off the lungs etc.
In the morning Buckwheat was put into hot stock, cooked for 35 minutes, then put aside covered for an hour. (Used 1.6lt per kg, and cooked absorpsion method like with rice)
Meanwhile all the meat / heart / lung /skin were dropped into the remaining stock which had been heated, then removed after a few minutes. All meat through a10mm plate. Skin and ( raw) soaked liver through a 3mm plate.
Mixed blood through the groats, then introduced into the meat which had been mixed previously with the remaining ingredients.
Stuffed into 38 - 42 hog casings, and poached at 85C until internal was 70C ( though got distracted, and I think they hit about 73.....) then showered with cold water.
Verdict?
Hmm, Having only eaten Black pudding I do not know how to compare it to a usual polish Blood Sausage.
It was extremely light, not heavy like a black pudding. You couldn`t slice it and then fry, only grill in its entirety.
Not rich, easily consume several in a sitting, possibly with a bacon ( not sweet).
I will make again definitely, but I would add more salt.
Below is the recipe I used.
I will try to get some photos uploaded.

Ingredient % of Meat Total Weight with blood and Groat(gr) 5850
pork head meat, jowls, snouts 1820
pork Lungs 550
pork liver 5% 300
pork skins 570
Pork Heart 5% 300
blood 20% 1170
buckwheat groats 20% 1170
Salt 1.7% 99.45
Onion 5.00% 292.5
Black Pepper 0.20% 11.7
Allspice 0.05% 2.925
Cloves 0.02% 1.17
Marjoram 0.15% 8.775
Nutmeg 0.02% 1.17
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 13:33

Raw, before poaching

Grilled, after poaching
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 07, 2016 14:26

Those look nice.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 07, 2016 15:53

Congrats Tony! For a first go at a fairly complicated and labour intensive product you did great! I know you put a lot work and did a lot of research to make the kaszanka. I sure would like a couple right now to throw on my grill.Image Did you have someone helping you with the clean up?