Head Cheese

Butterbean

Head Cheese

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 14, 2019 19:39

Been processing a pig - all except the wobbly bits anyway and ended up making some head cheese using Mr. Marianski's recipe where you cure the head in a strong brine for seven days. This recipe didn't call for any citrus or vinegar like most head cheeses I've made in the past. Not saying this is any better than the others but this one seems to bring out the flavor of the pork which I liked a lot. I also made another version of it by tweaking it and adding some chopped parsley and korean pepper. This was good but it did take the focus away from the ham-like flavor in the original version. Personally I would have been pleased enough leaving well enough alone
Brined head for seven days
Topped the head with water in a pot then added celery, garlic, onion and carrots to this. This is outside the recipe but I had plans on saving the stock for canning.
Using a simmering boil I boiled head for several hours,. I also added two pigs feet to be sure I'd have plenty of collagen for the final bind.
Ground the meat as directed then mixed with seasonings and added to bread mold.
Original recipe
Tweaked recipe with Korean pepper and parsley
Reduced remaining liquid by about half then strained and cooled. Skimmed excess fat then canned the broth for later use.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Head Cheese

Post by Rick » Sat Dec 14, 2019 20:14

That sure looks good!
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Dec 14, 2019 20:44

Butterbean, I'm interested in your broth. When you're simmering your head,hocks, trotters, etc. do you add any spices to the water like a couple of bay leafs, etc. ?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:01

Rick wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 20:44
Butterbean, I'm interested in your broth. When you're simmering your head,hocks, trotters, etc. do you add any spices to the water like a couple of bay leafs, etc. ?
I do add stuff but I don't have a recipe and just go with what I think will add something to it. In this case I just added some old carrots and some old celery, garlic and onion. No salt. The head is in a strong brine so it salted the water well and I simply reduced the stock till it tasted right.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 15:31

Butterbean that looks delicious. I like the look of the parsley but it's good info that you added, i.e., "the original recipe was a tad better..."

anyway my question; I have been making stock (now called bone broth by the powers that be) since I left the nest in the mid-80s. I have always frozen it, I see you "can" (jar) it. How do you go about this? I assume you are going with a pressure canner since there is not enough acid. If this works and you have been satisfied with doing it, It just might save me some freezer space. I make broth with absolutely everything and hunting means I'm always running out of space
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 20, 2019 16:21

Scogar-
Broth always seem better if its canned vs frozen. And easier to use! You do need a pressure canner and the times and method can be found here: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/stock_broth.html

Any canning time/methods questions go here : https://nchfp.uga.edu/
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 20, 2019 16:23

Butterbean that looks really good!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 20, 2019 19:05

Great looking head cheese! would love a couple od slices with a piece of good rye bread! As to the vinegar, the Germans add it to their chead cheeses, the Poles don't. But then they usually serve it with vinegar or lemon juice on the side. :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 21, 2019 01:04

I picked some lemons the other day and tried it with the headcheese and it really pares well. This is a good thing as it gives me another use for lemons which are coming out our ears at the moment.

Just finished pickling some pigs feet so the next dish will have a foot flanked with souse which will definitely be a meal fit for royalty!

BTW - as for the pickled pigs feet I used Marianski's recipe where you soak the feet in a strong salt brine with cure for two weeks then simmer for four hours, cool and submerge in vinegar with some spices. These are by far the best pigs feet I've ever pickled. The long brine time seems to be the key and I highly recommend this recipe for those who like opulent meals such as this.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Dec 21, 2019 06:30

Wow that looks fantastic! Head cheese is one of my favorite things to make (and eat). Really nice job.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 21, 2019 08:05

Cabonaia wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 06:30
Wow that looks fantastic! Head cheese is one of my favorite things to make (and eat). Really nice job.
Do you ever save the stock?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Dec 22, 2019 01:52

Yes, I've use the stock every time I've boiled a pig head. There's nothing like it. Well, half a head is the way I do it. A full head would create a lot of stock - but it seems like you are always cooking for a crowd. I've frozen the stock at times, but never canned it. Great idea.