Mielonka Tyrolska - Polish Luncheon Meat

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 05, 2021 09:20

In almost every food store in Poland, whether it be a country market, a roadside convenience store or supermarket you find a product called “Mielonka”. It is a luncheon meat which may come in a can, a waterproof plastic casing, or a large block formed in a meat press. Actually it's no different than the products we see in our local grocery mart behind the deli counter or hanging in the meat section, already sliced and packaged. Of course it also resembles Spam, Klik and other canned luncheon meats. Home made Mielonka is not only better but easy to make. You can create it just about out of any meat or combination of pork, beef, chicken or turkey. Add whatever spices or aromatics you like, and be creative to your heart's content. The only equipment that you need is a grinder. While there are many varieties of this Polish luncheon meat , one of the more popular ones is Mielonka Tyrolska. It's a staple on the Polish breakfast table and great in a sandwich. I made this mielonka two ways: one in 75mm plastic waterproof casings from Stuffers Supply, and the other a cylindrical 1kg meat press.

Image Image

Recipe for 1kg.
1kg pork, 25-30% fat, (pork butt or lean pork with 30% pork belly)
15g non-iodized salt
2g Cure #1
2g white pepper
2g herbal pepper (Coriander 26.6%, Caraway 8.8%, White mustard 17.6%, Black mustard 17.6%, Black Onion Seeds 6.6%, Dried horseradish 17.6%, Cayenne pepper 4.3% Marjoram 0.9%.)
0.6g nutmeg
0.6g all spice
5g garlic paste
20g potato starch, sifted
100ml ice water

1. Cube meat, add the salts, mix well pack tightly into a plastic container cover and cure in fridge for 48 hours.
2. 2. Before grinding, mix in the peppers, nutmeg and all spice and grind through the 6mm or 8mm plate. If you are making a large amount grind the lean meat with a 12mm plate and the fatty meat with the 6mm.
3. Mix the garlic with the water and gradually add to the meat with the potato starch, mixing well until a ball of farce sticks to your hand.
4. Stuff into waterproof casings, 75mm or larger or tightly pack the farce into a meat press, leaving 4cm. from the top.
5. Poach at a temp of 80C until an internal temp of 68C. A sous vide circulator work well. If using a meat press, the water should be 2.5cm above the meat line. The poach time will be approximately 10 minutes for every 10mm of diameter of the casing.
6. Chill in cold water for 15-20 minutes and transfer into the fridge for 8-10 hours.
Smacznego!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Mielonka Tyrolska - Polish Luncheon Meat

Post by DanMcG » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:55

Looks great Chris. I need to get off my butt and make some lunchmeat, but I'll have to create my own herbal pepper with what I have available.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Feb 05, 2021 18:33

That really looks good! We routinely make a similar product that is almost always fried for breakfast, Its also fermented....Taylor Ham. Hard to have an egg sandwich without it! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6212&hilit=taylor&start=30
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 05, 2021 18:38

Going to put this on my to do list. Thanks.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Mar 15, 2021 13:48

Red I’m unfamiliar with white and black mustard as well as black onion. Before I order these spices in I’d like to see if this is a recipe Is one I’d like to keep around. What do you recommend as reasonable substitutes and amounts?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 15, 2021 14:44

Albert that's such a small part of that spice mix I wouldn't hesitate to substitute. White and yellow mustard seed is the same thing so you probably have that, the black is just a stronger variety.
As with any recipe the spices and amounts are a general guideline, no need to split hairs.

He He my 2 cents. Chris may have another opinion
Doc John

Post by Doc John » Tue Mar 16, 2021 19:37

Looks very good. Haven't made luncheon meats yet, but I think I'll go after this one very soon. Can it be lightly smoke, like in Alder or Beech, and then completed or is it traditionally seasoned only?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 20, 2021 09:04

Hello Doc John and welcome to the forum.

Mielonka is normally not smoked, it is made like a cured sausage but it's canned (like spam), cooked in a meat press or stuffed into waterproof casing and poached. If you smoke it it will be another type of product.