[CAN] Big Guy's "Splam" in a can

Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

[CAN] Big Guy's "Splam" in a can

Post by Big Guy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:47

I thought I'd try to make some Splam. It turned out real good, taste right on, just a few voids in the meat. Definatly a do again.

Semi frozen pork butt chunks ready to grind

First grind

spices thrown ready to mix

Second grind

ready for a fridge nap to meld the spices

stuffing the cans

sealing the lids on

into the pressure canner

we're rockin now

on the plate

the recipe

Big Guy's "Splam"

8 lbs. pork
2 Tbs. salt
1 Tbs. white pepper
1 Tbs. Dextrose
2 tsp. coriander
2 tsp. mace
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cure #1
1 cup milk powder
1 cup ice water.

Grind meat through a medium plate, add spices and water, mix well, re-grind. Let meat rest overnight to blend the flavours and let the cure work. Stuff into cans, seal the lids and process at 10 psi for 90 minutes.
Last edited by Big Guy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 01:52

Verrrrry Interesting Big Guy. I'm glad your plans finally worked out on this recipe. It looks like you are still in Ontario waiting for the harvest before you head out to Florida. Say, I'm a little curious about the "gel" that formed around the pellicle from the cooling of the meat stock. Any problem? Taste ok? The meat texture looks amazing. How did it taste? Am I asking too many questions?Does September have 30 days in it? :lol: Does Splam taste much like the Hormel product Spam?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Sep 02, 2011 03:49

When we cook pressed ham we also get that same gelatin rim on the meat. It is always delicious. I even get it in canned meat in jars.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 04:13

The taste is very similar to the Hormel product. I rushed the last shot, the meat could have cooled more and the voids would have had gelatin in them and the outside edge a little firmer. I'm here until after deer season mid Nov. before I migrate. I've got a few moose and caribou roasts to use up before I start to re-fill the game larder. more pepperettes and beer wurst
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:37

Big Guy
Nice job! So when can we see the little beanie weenies being stuffed in a can :mrgreen:
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Sep 05, 2011 22:15

While the "war department" had her pressure cooker flashed up doing what women do, I made a batch with some straight pork, some pork & elk, and some pork & moose. It looks really good, however, I probably won't be able to try it until tomorrow. She demands "first dibs" on anything that she cans. I expect that she will be making some "Splam" sandwiches for her lunch at school tomorrow. Little does she know that I will be opening a jar of elk & pork while she is not at home. Let you know how it is!!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 06, 2011 02:16

Buck, You can always get your own pressure cooker/canner. ;) Do you suppose that spam would do up well in wide mouth tapered pints? I have done meatloaf that way.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 03:46

If you do it in wide mouth jars it should work, it will look ugly in the jar but it should taste fine.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 06, 2011 04:29

Looks aren't very nourishing. I have canned cabbage rolls and sausages and meatloaf. And they all come out rather over done for my taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 08:18

Hmmmm....
I made a ten-pound batch and stuffed it into a single, full length 5" synthetic casing. I baked it at 170 F. for 8 hours until the IMT was about 145 degrees. It came out perfectly. I sliced thick "disks" for Splam sandwiches. Man, this stuff is pretty good. Great recipe Big Guy. I guess I'm goofy but once in a while I even buy the Hormel product - love the flavor! :???:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:20

what no pics ? Lets see what you did!
Col. Big Guy
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Tue Sep 06, 2011 14:28

The "Splam" was packed into wide mouth pint jars, and done at 10lbs. for 65 minutes. The flavour is excellent, however, the fat rendered out of the meat, leaving it somewhat drier than I would like. I think that next venture with it will be done up in casings as the "Wagonmaster" & resident mule skinner did!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 00:30

Hi,
I like to make this Splam as well but got a bit overwhelmed with all this canning equipment.
CW, your post about putting the mixture in 5" synthetic casings solved my problem.
Both BIG GUY and CW, THANK YOU.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
huckelberry
User
User

splam

Post by huckelberry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45

Hey B.G. I happen to be one of those who like SPAM and your recipe is interesting to me, but I'm even more curious about the canning systen and how it compares to working with the glass jars.
Why you chose it and weare could I find out more about it.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 15:37

The canning machine was handed down along with my grinder from my grandfather. I have no Idea where you would get a replacement. You would have to google home canning machines. It works the same as glass jars but they store easier and don't break if you drop one.
Sorry for the late reply but I was away on a moose hunt, in about 4 weeks I head south for the winter. Retirement is a tough row to hoe. LOL
Col. Big Guy