Canning with Tin Cans

mkosho

Post by mkosho » Thu Nov 03, 2016 17:55

Hi, I'm a neewby here and hope I'm posting this in the right place, what I would like to know is what is the lifting pressure applied between the tin can and the cap by the can lifter just before forming the two stage :shock: rolled seals. I would appreciate an answer to this question, thanks in advance
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Nov 04, 2016 01:54

BigGuy would have been the one to answer this but I haven't seen him in a couple years. I use glass or pressed lids on metal cans.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 03:27

My canning machine goes from stage 1 to 2 as you keep turning the handle. I have no idea how much pressure is actually applied though?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 04, 2016 17:35

Hi mkmosho and welcome to the forum!

All of our canning is done in jars so I can't offer any advice from my experience. Stanley Marianski authored a book on home canning and does cover canning sealers to some extent. If you haven't checked out his book yet, it might be worth your while. Take a look here for a sample of some of the pages from the book:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=rKa-Bg ... rs&f=false
DaveOmak

Post by DaveOmak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 05:00

Are you asking about the "spring pressure" applied to the base that holds the bottom part of the can ??
If so, my tin can seamer recommends compressing a specific measurement... like a 1/4" or something... It's been awhile since I have used it... Spacers are inserted until a certain gap has been achieved.... There should be a description in your manual on how to make that adjustment...
If you need a manual, they can usually be found on-line....

Dave