Canned Venison

Butterbean

Canned Venison

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 01:37

Was processing venison today and thought it would be nice to have some pre-cooked venison on hand that I could add to noodles, rice, eggs or whatever. Never done this before but I was hungry so I let my taste buds direct the seasonings and it came out pretty good.

First of all, dice up venison in small cubes about an inch or so square. I did some measuring and found I needed 0.85 lbs or 13.6 ounce or 386 grams of cubed meat to fill a pint jar. This will come in handy when you are preparing your jars.

Recipe

0.25% Cure 1
1.0% Non-Iodized Salt
0.2% Black Pepper
0.2% Garlic Powder
0.2% Onion Powder

Process

Mix the salts and spices together and mix well with the cubed venison and let rest in refrigerator while you are preparing your jars. It might be better to let it rest overnight but I didn`t.

Once jars are sterilized, add 1/2 tsp of beef bouillon paste to each sterilized pint jar then stuff venison in the jars as tightly as possible and remove as many air pockets as possible and leave one inch of head space. No need to add any liquids because it will generate its on liquid during processing and this liquid is a wonderful for gravy or cooking.

Clean jar rims well and place warm tops on them and process in pressure cooker at 10 psi for 75 minutes. 90 minutes if you are using quarts.

After processing the meat just fell apart and had a nice mild flavor and will definitely be a handy thing to have on hand.

Note the nice red color the cure gave to the venison. Its much like corned beef only not as salty.

This is what the jars look like after processing. You can see the gravy created. This broth has an excellent taste and could be used in a lot of things.

I had to give it a try so I took four potatoes and diced them up and pan fried them then added the broth and steamed them till they were about done then added this to a casserole dish and added some cheese, pint of venison, sour cream and some cilantro and baked it at 425F for 25 minutes. Pretty good and cheap dish.

Hope someone finds this as good as I did. One thing I really like about it is you end up with two things. The meat and the broth. The broth is something else and would make a great base for a gravy or a rue or it could be used to season vegetables. Its just very versatile which is what I like. And cheap. :lol:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 03:14

I did up some in a very similar fashion, and some as corned moose. I have a tin canner that I process them in. Just fried up some with onions, potatoes, Speck, and some homemade sauerkraut. Very tasty!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 14:17

I've always wanted a tin canner. What do the cans run?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 15:31

The one pound cans are about a buck a piece and the 1/2 pound are about 50 cents. I buy some pull top lids for ones I want to take out hunting so I can warm it up on the fire easy. The place I order from is in British Columbia called Wells can.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:38

Great idea to can meat rather than just throwing it into the freezer. Would be great when dry camping. I also have been looking aroung for a used tin canner, and one of these days will find one.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 20:28

Red put the word out through friends and maybe on some local buy and sell there on the island. Tin canning was very popular with folks on the island for canning salmon. I know several that used to tin can but now only use jars. If I'm talking to the inlaws I'll throw it out there. one of them might want to part with theirs. I bought mine at the Radio Shack in Port Mcneil over 25 years ago. Only just started using it a couple years ago.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 20:55

Thanks for that. I have been looking at ads and actually missed one last summer. Someone has an antique here at a give away price, but I would like one with the flywheel.

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-a ... s_25593264
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 22, 2016 15:06

This is the one I have. Works excellent for what I've done so far. Most fish canners up Island were using this model with Large Salmon cans which are 1 pound.

http://www.wellscan.ca/can-sealer-Ives-way.html