Canned meat by StefanS

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Canned meat by StefanS

Post by StefanS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:23

One of meats prepared in my home is canned meat in glass jars. (I'm not using metal tin cans simply because do not have roller to close them). In Europe ( specifically in Poland ) it is one of basic method to preserve food. There are many recipes, different ways and a many, many different product on store shelf. Compare to products here in USA it is like nothing to choose from (Luncheon Meat or SPAM cans mostly visible). Many Europeans (Polish) preparing these jars in home. Juicy, pleasant, tasty meat prepared in right way can stay for months without refrigerator, freezer. Ready be eaten at any time, any way.
Many members here talking, making, preparing most of fermented meats, salamis, prosciutos, culatelos forgetting about our roots. About other ways to preserving food. Younger generation completely do not know what is canning. So i would like to show some of pictures of my jars. I do make them on almost regular - every 3-4 months.
Three different products. Pork meat in natural juice, grounded pork, grounded pork(70%) + grounded beef (30%)
Front row - 3 jars, 3 different minces inside
I'm using AA canner - 70 min in 120*C temp.
Ready jars
Inside block of meat - pork in natural juice (smaller pieces) and Mixed pork with beef (here is minimal amount of jelly because potato starch was used)
wkw
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wkw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:50

StefanS
Can you please post some of your canned meat recipes. I have a lot of moose meat and I would like to can some. Could you post a recipe that you think would be good for making canned game meat.

Thanks
Ken
Vancouver Island
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:20

Hi Ken. I have never before use moose meat, but infos telling that meat is very similar to beef meat ( darker reddish, more connecting tissue) So - I do not know how much in rush are you with that meat, but if you have frozen it we all together can work on develop some recipe for it. So today is Polish recipe for Beef in natural juice -
Kl 1 - 40%
Kl 2 - 30%
Kl 3 -20%
Pork skin - 10 %
Salt - 1.8 % ( there is no Cure just salt)
Black pepper - 0.2 %
Red ground pepper - 0.1 %
Marjoram - 0.05 %
Onion flakes - 0.25%

Meat kl 1 - grind by biggest plate you have, kl 2 grind by 10 mm plate. kl 3 and boiled skin - twice by 3 mm plate. Pork skin before grinding needs be boiled for around 30 min, dried and cooled to 4-6 *C.
They are mixed together with spices to nice consistency and mince is sticky to hand.
Fill jars compacting as possible, leaving around 1/2" space on top of jar. Rim of jar should be very clean before placing a cover plate (Mason jars). Then follow a manual for canner. 60 min. at 121*C is good enough for small wide mount jars. As always there are some msall tricks for make jars not leaking thru processes, but we can work on them step by step.
Also keep in mind that is only recipe that comes to my mind - there also many of them with mix of pork and beef - IMO mix is much better than straight moose meat. So if you aren't in rush - as I wrote above - lets make something working together - means members of this site...
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jun 12, 2017 23:07

Looks good. I like canned meats they are handy to have.
wkw
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wkw » Tue Jun 13, 2017 18:45

StefanS wrote:Hi Ken. I have never before use moose meat, but infos telling that meat is very similar to beef meat ( darker reddish, more connecting tissue) So - I do not know how much in rush are you with that meat, but if you have frozen it we all together can work on develop some recipe for it. So today is Polish recipe for Beef in natural juice -
Kl 1 - 40%
Kl 2 - 30%
Kl 3 -20%
Pork skin - 10 %
Salt - 1.8 % ( there is no Cure just salt)
Black pepper - 0.2 %
Red ground pepper - 0.1 %
Marjoram - 0.05 %
Onion flakes - 0.25%

Meat kl 1 - grind by biggest plate you have, kl 2 grind by 10 mm plate. kl 3 and boiled skin - twice by 3 mm plate. Pork skin before grinding needs be boiled for around 30 min, dried and cooled to 4-6 *C.
They are mixed together with spices to nice consistency and mince is sticky to hand.
Fill jars compacting as possible, leaving around 1/2" space on top of jar. Rim of jar should be very clean before placing a cover plate (Mason jars). Then follow a manual for canner. 60 min. at 121*C is good enough for small wide mount jars. As always there are some msall tricks for make jars not leaking thru processes, but we can work on them step by step.
Also keep in mind that is only recipe that comes to my mind - there also many of them with mix of pork and beef - IMO mix is much better than straight moose meat. So if you aren't in rush - as I wrote above - lets make something working together - means members of this site...
Hi StefanS
I am in no rush to can the moose. It is presently safe and frozen in the deep freezer. I would love to witness the genesis of a great recipe for this wonderful meat.
Thanks
Ken
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 18:21

So lets start to do our recipe.
First - your expectations- what kind of containers for caning you going to use- glass Mason jars or metal cans.
Ready meat should be : in juice/jelly? sous? or minced without any jelly (like luncheon meat) or something similar to ex. beef stew:
bigger pieces of meat (cubes 1"-2") or small thru grinder,
Mixed with pork, or just moose meat, or example moose 30%/beef 30%/pork 40%.
There are also some recipes to make a whole steaks in jars in natural juice.
My suggestion as I stated in previous post is that I will concentrate on beef recipes because there nothing what i know about moose meat. Also keep in mind that taste it is a personal preference,
Any comments, suggestions welcome from other members of WD.
wkw
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wkw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 18:41

StefanS wrote:So lets start to do our recipe.
First - your expectations- what kind of containers for caning you going to use- glass Mason jars or metal cans.
Ready meat should be : in juice/jelly? sous? or minced without any jelly (like luncheon meat) or something similar to ex. beef stew:
bigger pieces of meat (cubes 1"-2") or small thru grinder,
Mixed with pork, or just moose meat, or example moose 30%/beef 30%/pork 40%.
There are also some recipes to make a whole steaks in jars in natural juice.
My suggestion as I stated in previous post is that I will concentrate on beef recipes because there nothing what i know about moose meat. Also keep in mind that taste it is a personal preference,
Any comments, suggestions welcome from other members of WD.
I will be canning in mason jars.

I would like to have a couple of different finished products. I would like some to be like luncheon meat and some to be similar to beef stew. I think I would like the luncheon meat style to be a mixture of moose and pork. The 'beef stew'" like product I would like as just moose. If you have a suggestion for a product tht you think would be very good I would be interested as well.

My moose meat is frozen as steaks (t-bone), roasts (hindquarter cuts) and an awful lot of ground moose (straight moose with no pork or beef fat).

I look forward to all recipes and comments!!!!

Thanks
Ken
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 01:14

So - here what I did -
Beef Ragout (Moose Ragout).
meat kl II and III - 1.00 kg
water - 0.45 l
salt - 23 g
Cure #1 - 2 g
Black pepper - 2 g
Red pepper (sweet) - 4 g
Caraway seed - 0.5 g
Coriander - 0.5 g
Nutmeg - 0.5 g
Sugar - 2 g
Dried chopped onion - 20 g
Tomato paste - 80 g
Wheat flour - 58 g
Potato starch - 25 g
Preparing process ---
meat cubed in 1" size - because i do not have moose meat so i used beef (before cutting) -
Preparing sauce ---
200 ml - heated in sauce pan to 96-98 *C
150 ml (cold) - mixing with flour
100 ml mixed with starch
Mixed wheat flour with water pouring to hot water i reheat to boiling point then add starch/water mixture and boil it for 5 min stirring. After that remove from heat and let cool down to room temp.
Meat preparation ---
Cubed meat i mixed with 18 g salt and 2 g cure #1- let it stays for over night in refrigerator. Next day i have mixed meat with other ingredients
Then mix with sauce
Jars are filled
Canned in 121*C - 45 min ( plus time of heating and cooling)
Today one jar has been opened, heated and tasted - very, very good - can be served with pasta, rice, potato - on picture - with barley
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31

Looks good!
StefanS wrote:Canned in 121*C - 45 min ( plus time of heating and cooling)
45 or 75?

I think 75 minutes is the minimum time recommended for pints @10lb
Not sure if its less time for the 1/2 pints
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html
wkw
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wkw » Thu Jun 22, 2017 19:19

StefanS wrote:So - here what I did -
Beef Ragout (Moose Ragout).
meat kl II and III - 1.00 kg
water - 0.45 l
salt - 23 g
Cure #1 - 2 g
Black pepper - 2 g
Red pepper (sweet) - 4 g
Caraway seed - 0.5 g
Coriander - 0.5 g
Nutmeg - 0.5 g
Sugar - 2 g
Dried chopped onion - 20 g
Tomato paste - 80 g
Wheat flour - 58 g
Potato starch - 25 g
Preparing process ---
meat cubed in 1" size - because i do not have moose meat so i used beef (before cutting) -
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... umbgby.jpg]Image[/URL]
Preparing sauce ---
200 ml - heated in sauce pan to 96-98 *C
150 ml (cold) - mixing with flour
100 ml mixed with starch
Mixed wheat flour with water pouring to hot water i reheat to boiling point then add starch/water mixture and boil it for 5 min stirring. After that remove from heat and let cool down to room temp.
Meat preparation ---
Cubed meat i mixed with 18 g salt and 2 g cure #1- let it stays for over night in refrigerator. Next day i have mixed meat with other ingredients
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... vb7pos.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... adjrme.jpg]Image[/URL]
Then mix with sauce
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... p6bhcy.jpg]Image[/URL]
Jars are filled
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... hblcto.jpg]Image[/URL]
Canned in 121*C - 45 min ( plus time of heating and cooling)
Today one jar has been opened, heated and tasted - very, very good - can be served with pasta, rice, potato - on picture - with barley
[url=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/ ... 5ciyr5.jpg]Image[/URL]
That looks wonderful. One recipe for me to try. Keep them coming!!!!!!!
Question: is sweet red pepper = paprika?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 00:22

Bob K wrote:Looks good!
StefanS wrote:Canned in 121*C - 45 min ( plus time of heating and cooling)
45 or 75?

I think 75 minutes is the minimum time recommended for pints @10lb ( not required )
Not sure if its less time for the 1/2 pints
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html
I have made just 45 min at 15 Lb for these reasons:
1. whole canning process (my fault that I do not describe it properly ) - 15 min. at 98-100 *C with open cover to see depressurize of jars (one level of jars submerged in water completely )
2. 45 minutes at 15 Lb Then shout off heat
3. Letting canner cool down under blanket cover for overnight ( safety precautions taken )
4. amount of tomato paste in recipe
5. jars held in refrigerator all time ( not store shelf)
6. they will be used in experimentally 4-5 months.
Question: is sweet red pepper = paprika?
Yes
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26

Thank you for the details of your canning process!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 20:54

During processing of Beef Ragout I have made another meat in jars -
Ground Pork/ Beef in jars.
I have got a recipe for mix of pork and beef but because Ken requested something with moose meat then I got - Image
-so it is - 50% pork butt, 25% beef, 25%bison meat.
Pork butt ground by plate 6 mm, beef round aye - 3 mm plate, bison - unknown(probably 3 or 4.5 mm plate)
125 g/kg of meat -pork skin (boiled for 30 min, cooled down and grounded twice by 3 mm plate)
sea salt 14 g/kg of meat , cure #1- 1.5 g/kg
black pepper - 1.5 g/kg
allspice - 0.5 g/kg
paprika 3 g/kg
cayenne pepper 0.5 g/kg
sugar 1 g/kg
basil 0.5 g/kg
nutmeg 0.5 g/kg
granular garlic 0.5 g/kg
Meat and spices mixed together -
Jars filled ( 1/2" space left under top of jar)
Canning process was a little different for these jars ( they were canned before Beef Ragout).
There were 16 jars in two levels in canner, water - 3" high on bottom of canner, cover was in place from beginning of heating process. Weighted valve was in place after around 10 min of boiling of water. then 70 min. at 10 Lb.
Because i have installed an tire air valve in my canner then I can cool it down in cold water
keeping up air pressure inside canner without worrying of juice leaking. Also 100% of jars vac closed.
As today they looks like - Image
Finally - canned mix looks like this -
I'm jelly lover in these meats - but jelly in canned meat can be also not that visible by adding up to 5 % of meat weight - potato starch.
Inside meat looks like - Image
IMO - too much paprika and hot peeper - fat is almost orange, meat is tight because of beef, taste is good. I'm using it for sandwiches.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 25, 2017 21:26

Wow Stefan, your canned meats are an inspiration! Thanks for re-introducing us to an almost forgotten area of charcuterie. People at one time did a lot more canning before refrigerators and freezers took over. And yet home canned food is healthy, has a unique flavour that is difficult to duplicate, and best of all, we know exactlly what we are eating. Your ragout looks especially appealing. We recently made a huge pot of Hungarian goulash and froze it in meal portions. Next time I think we'll try canning it. Besides, I need the freezer space for my sausage meat. :lol:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jun 26, 2017 15:34

redzed wrote:We recently made a huge pot of Hungarian goulash and froze it in meal portions. Next time I think we'll try canning it.
Caution!! Once you start canning your sauces, stews etc, you will wonder why you ever froze it.