What kind of fish is this?

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

What kind of fish is this?

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 06:38

In the Rocky Mountains we catch all kinds of trout. I thought maybe I'd surprise my wife with an "exotic" fish for dinner, so I went to my local Chinese Market. There it was... a beauty with an eye the size of a basketball! His body had lots of tough scales but I could easily remove them with my fillet knife right? Along his spine, there was a raised system of spikes.... yes spikes... and they were razor sharp. Holy crap... I've never seen a fish like this! Razor spikes along the backbone. And it might just be my imagination, but I'd swear that damned fish was smilin' at me!
Well, I gutted the thing and pulled out the entrails. He was still smiling at me! I scaled the fish and he just kept smiling at me! Then I turned him over to clean out the blood groove... that's when everything went wrong. One of those spikes along his backbone just pierced the skin of my index finger on my left hand. It started to swell immediately. Pretty soon it looked like a leg instead of a finger and it felt like someone had smacked me with a hammer! Oh, poor me! What kind of fish defends himself after he is dead? Anyway, I ate that sucker just to get even with him. In about a week, the swelling went down but the finger is still sore to this day. I'd like to get even with that pesty pices! Has anyone out there got any suggestions?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
beardedwonder5

Post by beardedwonder5 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 17:55

The are two fishes in European waters which have poisonou (but non-fatal) spines, both spines sticking upwards, and sticking sideways, Lesser weaver and greater weaver. There could be related Pacific fishes. Suggest you Google greater weaver and take it from these.

Sorry about your back problems. Guess you won't be breaking any bears to the saddle for a while.