Photo Gallery Of Meat Or Sausage-Related "Other Product

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:27

Keymaster wrote:Hi John,
Making my own cheese is on my top ten list of things to do. My wife loves Brie cheese with them stale water crackers :wink: I like it too but cut the mold off. Maybe they need to get us a cheese thread on this here forum. Would love to see some pictures and small tutorial on your Brie.

Aaron

Here ya go bud
More info than you know what to do with

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:51

Thank you Devo, I must master Dry cured meats before I join anymore forums or atleast make a decent product. I have saved the site for future reference.
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 18:24

I smoke cheese quite often, most recently it was Sam's Club cheapo mild cheddar. I did it before Christmas.
We broke it out for our 25th anniversary party Saturday (along with pulled pork, smoked brisket, cured and smoke pork loin, tater salad, and cole slaw). 5 pounds of cheese, 60 people, I didn't even get a slice :cry: Must have been good.

Have you smoked the extra sharp Tillamook? I love it unsmoked, but have not tried smoking a batch yet.

73 de W1SBY
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 18:58

Hi W1SBY,
I have not smoked the Tillamook sharp Cheddar yet. I like the milder cheeses but the wife likes sharper so next time I suppose I should do a block for her. She already has names on the packages to who she is giving my cheese to in her family.
I made about 5 pounds of Smoked Salmon one time, Same thing, wifes family came over and I did not get a bite. Its all good, they told me how delicious it was :mrgreen:

Aaron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 22:57

I can see that some of us think along similar lines. I used to make cheese many years ago
but work pressures took care of continuing it.
Now, when I am nearly over the hill I am interested again as my daughter has taken a cheese making course with wonderful results.
We definitely need a cheese section on this forum however small.
Regards,
Jan.
ExhaustedSpark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ExhaustedSpark » Wed Feb 22, 2012 02:40

Oviously your method is working as that is some fine looking cheese.
Not to try to fix something that is not broken but maybe you mite try just leaving the door open and not worring about the ice.
Use a towel or pillow case for the door. :roll: :mrgreen:
How long did you smoke the cheese and i know that pellets have a stronger smoke then sawdust or plain wood pcs. How does the biscuts stand??
ExhaustedSpark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ExhaustedSpark » Wed Feb 22, 2012 02:42

oops i missed the 3.5 hrs.
:oops:
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 14:15

Thanks Exausted Spark. Good idea on the towel for a door. The bisquettes produce a medium to heavy smoke, "Medium Well".
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Chicken pot pie

Post by DLFL » Tue Mar 13, 2012 00:32

Hardee's has been running their chicken pot pie commercial for a couple weeks. I really like chicken pot pie and had a short work day so made one for supper.

Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:09

Very nice work! Do you ever use chicken fat in the pastry?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:16

That is a beautiful specimen!!! :grin: I, too, really like chicken pot pies. Made my first a couple week ago using the recipe off of Cook's Illustrated website. I was ok, ate 'em all. I need a better recipe. I learned you can take everything you used to make that bad boy and divide it between 6 twelve-ounce baking dishes for individual pot pies. Cook 'em all at once and don't bother freezing any of them because they aren't around long enough. :mrgreen:
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:37

I have not used chicken fat in the dough before. I do put some butter in it though. My wife ate 1/4 of the pie and she is usually a light eater.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:52

Hey DLFL, Looks great! Chicken pot pie is on my favorite list. My scout troop makes them on campouts occasionally. They are baked in cast iron dutch ovens over charcaol. The boys love making them and eating them too. We use biscuit mix for a crust. How did you make your crust? Looks yummy!...Nice job!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 13, 2012 02:21

Dick if you freeze the flour and refrigerate the chicken fat and work quickly so the fat doesn't melt before you add the water it makes a very tender crust. Chicken fat will start to melt in flour off the pantry shelf.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jan 13, 2016 03:35

Just finished making some smoked mortadella and a friend told me about Muffaletta sandwiches. Never heard of it but it sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a try.

Recipe is simple enough. What I used was about a 50/50 mix of black and green olives chopped with a bunch of parsley, teaspoon of capers, 1/2 cup of olive oil, TBS of wine vinegar and lemon juice. Rest was just lettuce and provolone cheese with the mortadella.

Anyhow, this is what it looked like and I'll definitely be making these again.