Sauerkraut (Home Made)

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Sauerkraut (Home Made)

Post by Scogar » Tue Nov 16, 2021 20:21

Stefan, 122 lbs. Anytime I have attempted a 5 gal crock I have struggled with kahm yeast or worse. Do you use the completely anaerobic systems with the water seal or are you working with open container and weighted plate?

Would love to eliminate the issues I have but have thus far avoided the water seal, simply since for generations the open crock worked and $%$#$ it should still work for me. I realize anaerobic works well, its just that it is not necessary for many people...but I am getting frustrated

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:51

Scogar wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 01:52
Wow 60 lbs on a Hobart, I know people questioned whether this made sense in lieu of a Krauthobel but 60 lbs takes it to a level sufficient to prove the point. I have done maybe a head for slaw.
I found using the Hobart a lot more efficient and less messy than the slicer. I stopped a few times while using the Hobart to allow it to coll off. It runs like a dream but might be even older than this Polish cowboy!
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 18:42

Thanks Chris, should have asked you as well...open bucket or anaerobic? If open, how long do you ferment and at what temp? In looking back through this post I suspect Stefan's mixing/poking would help prevent or at least break up the formation of yeasts and would also minimize mold. I know that poking grape skins in fermenting must for wine has that effect. I suspect the same may occur here.

Even though this is a sausage site I know you guys know your kraut.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Nov 20, 2021 21:58

So lets say - anaerobic (lack of oxygen) is good for fermentation, Same purpose is weighting down (juice over shredded cabbage means no oxygen inside). Yeasts, molds will grow on organic matter with oxygen present with right temperatures.. What i do - after primary fermentation in warm room (15-20*C / 60-70F) ( no visible new foam on surface of juice) Im moving barrel/container to colder room (like garage - in Mass). Again some poking and after I see that juice disappear sacked back by shredded cabbage, im giving a few days to finish fermentation. Sauerkraut is ready to transfer to jars or vac- pack. Refrigerator is needed in Georgia (in Mass - im keeping it in non heated garage in dark place). Poking purpose is releasing gases trapped in shredded cabbage - if not - concentration of them can lift cabbage to surface and decoy can occur (and mold).
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 20, 2021 23:22

Scogar wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 18:42
Thanks Chris, should have asked you as well...open bucket or anaerobic? If open, how long do you ferment and at what temp? In looking back through this post I suspect Stefan's mixing/poking would help prevent or at least break up the formation of yeasts and would also minimize mold. I know that poking grape skins in fermenting must for wine has that effect. I suspect the same may occur here.

Even though this is a sausage site I know you guys know your kraut.
We ferment at room temp, 18-20C. To release the CO2 gasses during the fermentation, I perforate the tightly packed cabbage with a sterilized dowel, sticking it into the bottom of the fermentation container several times. I do that three or four time during fermentation. We ferment in a large container with a cover. A pizza stone followed by a granite rock is placed on top of the cabbage. and the juices come to the top. Usually you have to skim of a scum that forms on the liquid. This year was unusual, as the liquid stayed clear throughout the whole time the cabbage was fermenting. As to the length of time, it varies, we just taste the cabbage and decide when it's ready. It can vary by as much as 2 -3 weeks, each year. And the taste is also different each year because the source of the cabbage is different, as are the bacteria in each batch. This year's results were better than most. Just writing this makes me hungry! :D
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 01:16

Thanks both, and good catch re: the ferment. I spoke incorrectly by referring to anaerobic. More accurately I should have said open container or water sealed container. You get rot if you ferment above brine...that's my compost pile :lol: