Just Another Chicken Recipe

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Just another chicken recipe

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 27, 2014 19:56

Neither Nancy nor I are fond of chicken breast meat but it seems to be attached to the chicken so we take it when we buy a whole chicken.
One of the premiere recipes for chicken breast is Chicken Cordon Bleu. Which is a chicken breast flattened and filled with a good slice of ham and some good cheese and the whole rolled up and dredged in flour dipped into and egg/milk mixture and rolled in bread crumbs. Then it is browned in a skillet and finished in the oven. It makes a very generous serving.
I got radical and diced all of the meat from a whole chicken, minced bacon equal to 10% of the weight of the chicken and minced cheddar cheese equal to the bacon. I seasoned with 1.5% salt, 1% celery seed, 1.5%marjoram and 1 % black pepper. I mixed until it got very sticky and formed 3.5 ounce patties. Gave them the flour, egg/milk, bread crumbs routine and fried them in a skillet until they were browned on both sides , turn the fire down and cover the pan to finish.
Nancy with her badly compromised sense of taste praised them as being something she could taste and enjoy.
They require gentle handling as they are very lumpy and somewhat fragile.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jun 27, 2014 23:36

That sounds good.

With her diminished taste and all have you considered cooking her a fatty? Lots of good stuff in them and very flavorful.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 28, 2014 00:42

I have seen them and have considered them but they mostly make a lot of leftovers when you have only two people with small appietites. With these patties we get freshly cooked food. Going to broil a piece of salmon for supper in a few minutes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 03:13

ssorllih wrote:Nancy with her badly compromised sense of taste praised them as being something she could taste and enjoy.
And then she said, "Ross, it tastes just like chicken!"Image
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 28, 2014 03:29

Which is a great improvement over it tastes like cardboard. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 04:57

Ol' pard,
This is how your recipe looks. How about putting some hard figures with it?

Comminuted Chicken Cordon Bleu by ssorllih

diced meat from 1 whole chicken
minced bacon equal to 10% of the weight of the chicken
minced cheddar cheese equal to the bacon
1.5% salt
1% celery seed
1.5% marjoram
1 % black pepper

Mix the ingredients together until the sausage becomes sticky. Form 3.5 ounce patties. Sprinkle the patties with flour, shake off the excess, dredge them in a milk/egg mixture, and coat them with bread crumbs. Brown the patties on both sides in a skillet over medium heat. Finish cooking them covered, inside a pre-heated 325° oven. Remove the patties for serving when the internal meat temperature reaches 170°F.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 28, 2014 05:35

I just finished in a covered skillet. But I won't quarrel with your editing in any way. Thanks. If I was doing a large batch I would use the oven to have them all hot for serving. This first time effort was 900 grams of chicken. and made about 12 patties. The bread crumbs came from a batch of bread that I made with carrots and chard. The bread was terrible but completely dried and milled for crumbs it is very good.
I used a 1/3 cup measure for a scoop for the patties. It seemed like a proper size for us.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 06:16

I really like the simplicity of the celery seed and marjoram. Nice stuff ol' timer!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jun 28, 2014 06:29

I like to make Chicken Cordon Bleu a couple of time a year using the old Julia Child recipe. Tho not a huge family favorite it seems like a nice dish now and then just to shake things up. I think your patties sound wonderful Ross, and I'd be inclined to try them with ground thighs. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 28, 2014 14:07

Nancy and I discussed this recipe and concluded that is best with small intact chunks of meat rather than ground as for burgers. I think that a blend of ground and chunks would make it hold together and little better. When next I make it I plan the soft freeze everything to make the cutting easier.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jun 28, 2014 23:55

ssorllih wrote:I have seen them and have considered them but they mostly make a lot of leftovers when you have only two people with small appietites. With these patties we get freshly cooked food. Going to broil a piece of salmon for supper in a few minutes.
You needn't make it large, just make one using a pound of sausage. Leftovers, if there are any, can be sliced and frozen. They are very flavorful.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 29, 2014 00:04

I will give one an honest try..
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 00:35

I think she will like it. I'm just thinking about her dulled taste buds and I just find these things really send your taste buds every which a way. Definitely has some calories in it but she might need that for her strength.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 29, 2014 01:54

That looks very appealing.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 03:25

Its wonderful. Of course it might just be that I'm no longer supposed to eat it.