liquid smoke

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

liquid smoke

Post by ursula » Sun Nov 30, 2014 07:00

Hi everyone,
I have had a bottle of liquid smoke for awhile now, and I was wondering if anyone who uses it regularly has any suggestions of different ways to use it and what the results resemble.
I don't want to ruin any expensive cuts, and there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of how or how much to use and when>
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Ursula
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sun Nov 30, 2014 13:50

I use it in my jerky. 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Anymore and it's over powering. I tried several brands and like the Sausage Makers the best. Good luck.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58

Thank you n
Nuynai.
Do many of you use this product? Is it supposed to be used instead of smoking and does it taste similar to the real thing? Does anyone know if the smoked products you buy use liquid smoke instead of actually smoking it?
Ursula
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35

ursula,

I do use liquid smoke (I have the "Wright's brand,but doubt if it makes a difference which brand) in some recipes that I do not intend to smoke. I do not feel that it is a replacement for smoking or even close to it-but it does impart a rather unique and pleasant(for me and others who have sampled) taste to the product. The last recipe I used it in was a kind of faux chicken jerky-marinated, steamed and oven dried chicken strips, I used about 2 tbls (25 grams) in 1050 grams of chicken strips. This amount was not overpowering in the end result but was definitely "there". The recipe is pretty spicy and I would reduce the amount of liquid smoke in a milder flavored recipe.

I have used it in snack sticks as well and it is quite good, but not a replacement for smoking. I would suggest you give it a try in a marinaded/cooked product and see what you think-start with about a tbls/1000g meat or so and go from there. The taste in a cooked product will be much the same as it will be in a dry cured or other product.

Good luck
Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Dec 02, 2014 07:47

I used it just once in linguica, before I had a smoker. It was ok, but not like real smoke. But I use it all the time in beans. They get a smoked hock or a trotter or two, and also some liquid smoke. Gives that nice "BBQ Beans" flavor.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 15:35

Like everyone else said it's not a replacement for the real deal. I use it in jerky if I am making it in my dehydrator and its to cold outside to use the smoker. It adds a different flavor but not like real smoke.
1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat is about right.

One thing I learnt is do not use it in any kind of sous vid cooking. It will get so strong you will have to throw everything out