Crusty Bacon & Cheese Bread

Butterbean

Crusty Bacon & Cheese Bread

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 08, 2016 20:29

This is a recipe from the Lodge Manufacturing Co. and it looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. Anything with cheese and bacon in it has to be good and the recipe seemed simple enough.

The bread itself is really good and interesting in that the outer crust is crusty like a cracker but the inside is soft and moist and almost has a meaty texture. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't use a bacon that had sugar in it because I got some blackening from the sugar charring but it didn't seem to bother the flavor of the bread just the looks.

This is nutrient dense for sure and I think would make it good for hiking or hunting or a slice for breakfast.

Recipe

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 lb bacon cooked till crispy then chopped or broken
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water

Mix all dry ingredients together well then add water and mix till everything is wet. Dough will look shaggy.

Cover mixing bowl with plastic and leave at room temperature for 24 hours so things will ferment.

Gently form a ball with dough and let it rest for 1 1/2 hours.

Place Dutch oven into 440F oven and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Once heated place dough in Dutch oven and cover with lid and bake covered for 30 minutes. This is what makes the soft moist center. After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes and this sets the crust. Then remove the Dutch oven from heat and remove bread and place on cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Oct 08, 2016 21:15

Looks good!