Don't Eat Your Horse - He won't trust you any longer!

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Don't Eat Your Horse!

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 08:22

Don't Eat Your Horse
(He Won't Trust You Any Longer)

Did you know the French, Italians, Swiss, Japanese, and Quebecois in Canada are horsemeat aficionados? Most of the 65,000 horses slaughtered in this country each year are shipped to Europe, Japan and to the province of Quebec. The French developed their appetite for horsemeat during the Battle of Eylau in 1807, when the chief surgeon of Napoleon`s Army advised the starving troops to eat the flesh of dead battlefield horses. Using their breastplates as cooking pans, the soldiers used whatever spices they could get their hands on. Horses are immune to BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy). Their flesh is lean, protein-rich, finely textured, bright red, and firm. However, tougher cuts must be cooked long enough to break down the collagen connective tissue, or marinated before cooking to ensure both flavor and tenderness.

The height of a horse is measured in "hands" abbreviated "hh," at the highest point of the animal's withers (top of the shoulder blades). One hand is 4 inches or, as defined in British law, 101.6 mm. Thus a horse described as 15.2 hh tall, means it is 15 hands, 2 inches, or 62 inches in height. A pony at maturity is 14.2 hh. An animal any taller is considered to be a "horse".

In spite of the old adage that "a good horse is never a bad color," unusual colors and markings such as white on all four legs, are always preferred and in demand. A mare`s gestation period is approximately 335-340 days and usually only one male "colt" or female "filly" is born as twins are rare. Newborns are called foals while those aged between one and two years are referred to as yearlings. Fillys 4 years and over are called mares. Colts are stallions until a castrated male becomes a gelding.

Horses are herbivores, digesting grasses and other plant material. Unlike humans, they are able to digest cellulose although they cannot regurgitate - a digestive problem quickly spelling occassional trouble with colic - a leading cause of death. Most wranglers I know, soon become "mighty `ticular" about just what goes into their horses' mouths. A 1000 pound horse will eat between 15 and 25 pounds of food per day and, under normal use, drink 10 to 12 gallons of water.

The English and Americans find it offensive to consume horsemeat, as horses are companions, not food, the way most of us think of dogs! Yet, the Chinese and Koreans eat dog meat and consider it a delicacy. Horsemeat is particularly popular in Montreal and butchers specializing in the stuff are busier than ever due to the BSE fears spreading rapidly. Horse butchers in Montreal, claiming it to be superior quality from a sanitary perspective, sell minced meat, steaks, sausages, and brochettes. Yup, one man`s protein is another man`s pet. I'm just not going to eat ol' Patch!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 31, 2011 13:59

My rule about meat is that I don't eat any animal that I have named. If I am hungry and there is meat walking around I am going to eat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Aug 31, 2011 20:37

That all being said.....aren't you the least bit curious as to what horse 'tastes like'? ("Like chicken, only...different!)

I personally have no desire no try it, but I'm also adverse to try other creatures as well.
On the NO EAT list: dogs & cats, bears, possums, raccoons, rats & other vermin, squirrel, badgers, anteaters, porcupines, snakes, lizards and skunks.

I know these are 'good eatin' in many parts of the world, but not my preference.
Let's not forget there are millions who wont touch pork nor beef and consider it obscene to do so. Whether by culture or religious conviction (Leviticus 11:24-30), many look at those of us who consume these creatures (cows & pigs) with unbridled disdain or contempt.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 31, 2011 20:57

NorCalKid, on your list, skunk is the only one that I would avoid along with all other members of the family. Dog is good as is squirrel and muskrat. I haven't had any of the others because of availability. I have read that buzzard is to be avoided.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 00:02

Porcupines are wonderful. They must be prepared in a really different manner (you wouldn't believe me if I told you how), but it's not difficult at all. Too much of the meat eaten constantly is harmful to your health (concentration of vitamin). The flavor is magnificent and the texture is just right. It is terrific... once in a while. Bear meat is nice - a little gamy and a little tough, but the right cut over hardwood campfire coals is a treat. Nice in a stew if you know how to cook it. Rattlesnake is a little bland but buttered n' fried with lots of black pepper, it's ok. It must be kept clean and fresh. Although it is a cold-blooded creature, it still should be "cooled" overnight before it is eaten. If you kill one, be aware that the reptile has reflexes and may be capable of delivering venom up to twenty minutes post mortem. Step on its head and cut it off unless you want to make a hatband with the head on. In that case, simply leave the thing alone until you KNOW he's dead. How do you know? He won't smile back at you when you tell a bad joke or act like a monkey! :roll: Don't eat your horse - he won't trust you any longer! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Aug 02, 2012 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 01, 2011 01:57

The problem with most game is that the hunter shoots the oldest, toughest, critter out in the woods and forgets that you can't eat the horns. Yearlings are you best meat but who wants to brag about the 105 pound deer they shot. There was a time when swans were considered good tablefare but all that I read about them now says that they are very tough. But no one seems to harvest a young swan in the fall of its first year.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:56

Ross
The problem with most game is that the hunter shoots the oldest, toughest, critter out in the woods and forgets that you can't eat the horns.
You never had antler soup?

Not to be picky but a 105lb deer here in VT is considered an average harvest, during archery season. I hear what you are saying, I would never take a mama deer with a fawn beside her nor would I take a fawn. Which I have seen from other archery hunters! Pretty much every morning I look out in the back yard (through the window) there are commonly two mothers with fawns grazing.
We also have wild turkeys that hang around and our youngest cat thinks he is a great white hunter sneaking up on the turkeys. The turkeys have him pegged right of the bat, it`s funny to watch
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 05, 2011 14:14

Had a friend in the Air Force from up in New Hampshire. He said that he came in late one night, well just about daylight, and the deer were browsing apples in the backyard. e opened a window and sat down at the kitchen table with a .45-70, that was the only thing he could find shells for. Said he bagged a deer and woke up the whole house.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 14:19

A 45-70 holy smokes I can only imagine. That`s worse than CW`s TNT :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 05, 2011 14:25

One end was probably still good the eat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 21:53

Goodness gentlemen...
TNT?
45-70?
Out here along the river we have 105 pound mosquitoes! We don't shoot 'em because it just makes them mad. :mrgreen: Our deer often weigh thousands of pounds and I've learned how to bag them without any harm to the meat whatsoever. I just wait until one of those big boys comes along with a couple of dozen points on his noggin, then I quickly step out from behind a tree on the trail... right in front of one. Just the sight of my homely, weatherbeaten, one-of-a-kind, double-ugly, face usually just scares 'em to death! Yes, yes, with sudden heart failure, they often just drop in their tracks! We often mount the tusks of the larger ones over the fireplaces in the west.

I used to rope the deer out here but they started getting so big that I had to start using chain lassos instead of regular rope. Now, I'm gettin' along in years and throwin' a chain lasso is not the easiest chore on the ranch anymore. So, I went back to "face" huntin'.

In the high country, we have the infamous Rocky Mountain "Snowshoe" deer. It's quite a sight - a full-grown buck wearin' snowshoes. One on each hoof! And they don't even slow the critters down. In fact, with all that traction, it just speeds 'em up! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 02:55

CW
Out here along the river we have 105 pound mosquitoes
Trick here is to drink a bottle of hot sauce, let them have their way, then watch them fly away, and boom :twisted:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 07, 2011 05:16

"Chuckwagon"
Goodness gentlemen...
TNT?
45-70?
Out here along the river we have 105 pound mosquitoes!
Can you dress them out and make sausage with them?
Last edited by ssorllih on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 09:44

Ross Hill (ssorllih) asked:
Can you dress them out and make sausage with them?
Yes, but you have to do it with a cutting torch using a slightly carburising flame and 30 pounds of oxygen! :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 07:44

Topic Split 9.10.11 @ 12:45 by Chuckwagon. (see also "Sticky Chat" in Hyde Park).