[USA]Canned chopped liver

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

[USA]Canned chopped liver

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 22, 2012 19:41

Nancy and I enjoy chopped liver spread on crackers, but only on an occassional basis. The result is that I have learned to can a good spreadable chopped liver.
This is my method and recipe: cook one chicken leg quarter about one pound size.. Allow to cool and pick all of the meat fat and skin from the bones and save. Chill the broth over night and skim the fat and save that also. Need a half cup. Heat the stock, rinse 2.5 pounds of chicken livers with cold water, check them over for any gall bladders and simmer them in the stock until they are done. Place the boneless chicken , the cooked, drained livers and the fat into the bowl of a food processor and mill until smooth, add a tablespoon of table salt, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper corns and a tablespoon of dried onion. Mill some more and taste. Adjust seasonings.
Pack into quarter pint canning jars leaving one inch of head space adjust the lids and process 75 minutes at 10 psi at sea level.
To use mix and work the spread a little to bring it back to a smooth texture. This recipe makes about 15 jars. It stores well on the pantry shelf for at least a year.
Last edited by ssorllih on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:58

That sounds good!
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 22, 2012 22:14

The quarter pint jars really only hold about two and a half ounces which is about right for two people with crackers and cheese.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 08:49

Good stuff ol' pard!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D