[HUN] Hungarian goulash.

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

[HUN] Hungarian goulash.

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 14:32

Goulash soup for city dwellers, the only ingredients you won't get is little smoke, and a little ash, depending on wind conditions.
*You can make better soup, if you use meat with bones in it.
Traditional goulash was the basic fare of the ancient shepherds. It is a very simple dish of beef, onion, potatoes and paprika. Nowadays there are many variations on the goulash theme. However a true goulash is never thickened with flour, and the only other admitted seasoning is caraway seeds. For more flavor, beef stock can be used instead of water.

Preparation time is about 30 min, cooking time is about 2 and 1/2 hours.

Ingredients.

400 gr. (14 oz) shin, or rump of beef, or stew meat, cut into 2 cm. (1 inch cubes) ......(note------ originally lamb was used).
500 gr. (1 lb.) potatoes, diced.
1 whole carrot.
1 whole parsley root.
2 sliced sweet peppers. (or you can use hot ones, if you like it hot)
1 skinned chopped tomato.
2 chopped onions.
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
1 tsp. sweet, (or hot) paprika.
1 tbsp. lard, (or use oil).
1/2 tsp. ground caraway seeds.
Salt to taste.

(You can also add pinched dough.)....recipe follows........

Preparation......

Melt the lard in pan, and fry onions, gently until light golden color. Sprinkle with the caraway, if added, because not everybody likes them.
Add the meat, carrots, peppers, tomato, parsley root, garlic, and paprika. Cover, and bring to boil. Add salt, and cover again, let it simmer.
As the water evaporates, add more, about 2 liters, (31/2 cups or so) will be needed to achieve the correct consistency------neither too thin, nor too thick.

After about 2 hours, add the potatoes and bring to boil again.

Meanwhile make the pinched dough, called csipetke in Hungarian.

1 egg.
Maybe little more than 2 tbsp flour.

Beat the egg, and mix with the flour, to make a stiff dough. Pinch small pieces from the dough (about the size of a hazelnut), but any shape, and about 5 min. before soup is done, or serving, drop them into the boiling soup.

Serve this soup when the meat and potatoes are tender, and the (csipetke) dough rise to the surface.

****One final note.

For much faster soup, you can use quality meat, such as steak meat.

Good appetite my friends.
Last edited by Gulyás on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:44, edited 3 times in total.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:09

Thanks Gulyas that looks great! I am going to try it.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:18

You welcome Cabonaia.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:41

Because I'm not able to edit my recipe any longer, (time ran out), one more note.

****You can make better soup, if you use meat with bones in it.

Mr. C.W. some people don't read all the notes, just print the recipes, could it be added to the recipe, only the second line.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 22, 2012 18:14

A very good beef vegatable soup or stew.
Ross- tightwad home cook
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:22

Thanks for the recipe, Gulyas. Sounds like a great one for hunting camp.

I can't say I have ever seen a parsley root in the produce aisle. Wondering if Parsnip is a favorable substitute? :???:
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:21

Yes two_MN_kids.
Parsnip is a little sweeter. That's about it. When I get time I'll write another one for open fire just like when you hunt in the woods. You can use other things in it too, it will be changed a little bit, but it will be fine.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 22:21

Gulyas, this is a knockout recipe! Thanks for posting and sharing. I can't wait to give it a try. Maybe tonight if I can scrounge up some old coyote bones somewhere! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 22:54

Ohhh Yes Mr.
Thanks for the help.
I think old/aged bones are fine, just like aged beef. Of course there are some people, who think that deer antlers are not the best choice for soup..... :lol: :lol:
Mysticl

Post by Mysticl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 21:33

I always make goulash soup the way my grandmother made it, using pork hocks for the meat ... unlike her however I usually remove the meat (and bones) from the soup before it's done and separate the good meat from all the fat, bone and gristle before chopping it up into bite sized pieces and returning it to the soup. These days I generally use one fresh hock and one smoked. They usually make a really nice base for the soup :)

Oh and if I have it I use bacon fat to initially lightly caramelize the onions. We serve this with drop dumplings boiled separately then added to the soup. Sorta like spaetzle only I drop them from a tsp so they tend to be a bit larger than spaetzle ... same dumplings I use for goulash/paprikash. I also use more paprika ... up to 2 Tbsp (hungarian) ... a few other minor modifications/additions ... like a handful of pearl barley if I feel like it, maybe some green beans and I always use a large teaball with about 2 Tbsp pickling spice instead of just the caraway and a bay leaf for flavour as well. Yum!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:12

Geeeeze Mysticl... can we all come over to your house for dinner? Girl, that sounds marvelous. The caramelized onions are a must... but the pickling spice just blows me away! I would have never thought of it. It sounds terrific.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 18:43

Gulyás, thanks for the wonderful recipe!
Godspeed!

Bob
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 17:31

Hey Gulyas - I made your goulash recipe over the weekend. It was a huge hit!

For meat, I used short ribs. Cut some of the fat off them and rendered it, used beef tallow instead of lard, because that's what I had on hand. Put in extra paprika and carraway, and didn't have a parsley root nor a parsnip. Maybe next time. To spice it up and give some smoke flavor, I used chipotle powder, and also some smoked paprika. The kids insisted I serve it with sour cream - no argument there. :razz:

I would really like to make it over a fire...this will take a little scheming but I'll get there!

Thanks again for a great recipe. It's a keeper!

Jeff
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:15

Thank you Gyulas and Mysticl for your way of making goulash. Both look wonderful.
My favoured meat still is shin beef for flavour and its juiciness when finished cooking although I have used smoked smoked pork as well for a change.
Parsley root here is called Celeriac, great in goulash and also in a proper European peasoup.
The picking spice addition sounds great.
Thank you for sharing your recipes.
Regards,
Jan.
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Tue Dec 04, 2012 07:05

Your goulash recipe looks good, the pinched noodle recipe sounds like my wifes German drop noodles (knopfles) She usually makes them for me to add to pork and sauerkraut. I let her do it since that is one thing she can cook better than me. I will have to try your recipe and have her make a batch. Thanks for the recipe. Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/