Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 07:19

There`s a new jasper in camp today and he rode all the way from Managua, Nicaragua. Welcome aboard Oswald. You`re going to like this outfit. Throw yer` saddle on the top rung and pull up some shade. You`re just in time for brats n` chorizo on the grill!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Still Smok'n

Post by Still Smok'n » Tue Jun 26, 2012 15:55

Hi, Wanted to say thanks for the welcome.Been viewing this site for quite a long time and find it most interesting.Been making sausage and trying recipes for many years and still have questions which I'll get to later.For now I just wanted to see if this reply gets posted. Thanks,Still Smok'n
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41

Hey Smokin...
We're mighty glad to have you with us. Ask all the questions you have a mind to. There are lots of folks here with answers and genuine concern for helping others. Nice to hear back from you.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14

Alright wranglers... guess which state in the USA our next member hails from. I`ll give you a few hints. It`s home to the world's largest wind generator (it has only two blades 400 feet long on the top of a tower twenty stories high), and it`s the only state in the U.S. that actually grows coffee. It`s home of the largest mountain range in the world. Welcome aboard Hiloboy in Hawaii! It`s nice to have you with us.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:16

Venison for dinner again? Oh deer! Hey smoke addicts... here`s some "Saddlebum`s Western Wisdom": After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Yee Haw! We`ve got two new members with us today. First, is "lide" in Adelaide, Australia and she`s ponderin` about joining this passel of people, passionate about Polish Pierogi! Well don`t worry lide, because these members are just like fudge... yup, sweet but there are a few nuts sprinkled in! :mrgreen:

Next, there`s "Arwyn" in historic Brittany, in northwestern France. This is a peninsula of megalithic stone monuments! Yup, I tried riding my horse across Carnac. He ran into every one of those rocks head first! And of course they stopped him dead in his tracks, jolting me out of the saddle "headfirst" into the dirt! Shucks Arwyn, I had to rename my horse. Now I call him "B.D."... that`s short for `brain damage`. :roll:

Welcome aboard folks! It`s nice to have you with us.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 05:12

Hi gristle grinders and meat munchers! We have a new member in the WD camp and he looks... uhh... sort of.... well... distinguished and intelligent! He must be a mayor or a governor or something! Welcome aboard Pikeman_95 (Kirby) in Missoula, Montana. I have some "Thrilling Tumbleweed Trivia" just for you. And it all about "birds".
A woodpeckers tongue is long enough to wrap it around his head 2 times.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
A flamingo can eat only when its head is upside down.
An eagle can kill a young deer and fly away with it.
Owls are the only birds who can see the color blue.
Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
Baby robins eat 14 feet of earthworms every day.
And last but not least... Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

It`s nice to have you with us Kirby. Pull up some shade around the campfire and pour yourself some brown ditchwater strong enough to float a Colt 45. Make yourself at home because you`re with great company.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 08:40

It`s time for some "Thrilling Tumbleweed Trivia"! :roll: Yup, utterly useless minutiae that you probably just can`t live without! :mrgreen: Can we really imagine relativity? When you start feeling all alone, just remember that you share your birthday with at least 9 million other people in the world. We can all imagine a million, but do you realize that you blink your eyes over ten million times in one year? How about a billion? Just one ragweed plant can release as many as one billion grains of pollen. A trillion is hard to imagine. If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion. And if you think this earth is rather large, get this: The sun is 330,330 times larger than the earth!

We have three new folks joining WD today. Welcome aboard btedeski in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, , m-valerij in Moscow, Russia, and MarkNB in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. It is very nice to have you folks joining us. Make yourselves right at home and join in the chat.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Fri Jul 06, 2012 14:37

Thanks for the welcome Chuckwagon.

I must say this site is great,

I am new to sausage making, As a kid I helped my data butcher deer, but I stopped hunting when he died. A couple of years ago I got back into hunting to take my (then 15) step son, as his dad did not have the time.

Since then I have butchered 12 deer.
Did some venison Summer sausage, Kielbasi, Italian sausage and of course jerky.\
I also can meat and other things from the garden.

I bought a cheep smoker, but was not happy with the results, so I am going to build my own before hunting season this year.

I am glad that I found this site, the wealth of information is staggering.

Bill T
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 07:35

Bill, do you folks have an archery hunt in your wonderfully green state? Perhaps your step-son would like to flick-a-stick. It's a very sporting and skilled method of hunting deer. Glad you are enjoying WD.
Bill, our buddy Seminole (Stan Marianski) and his sons Adam and Robert, also wrote a book called, "Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design". If you are going to build your own, be sure to check it out at: www.book-magic.com. It is a winner and choc-full of ideas and information. Good Luck! Keep us up on what's going through your sausage grinder. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36

Chuckwagon, thanks for the book recommendation, I downloaded the kindle version of it last week :) Lots of good information.

yes we have archery hunting here, This year will be the first year for me and Adam. In the county that I live archery, muzzle loader and shotgun slug are the only permitted ways to hunt. So far we have been out only with slug, but this year we are going to give archery a try. There are ares around here that we can not hunt with the shotgun but can with archery.

Next year we may be heading up into the mountains with high powered.

Dont know what a flick-a-stick is, dont know if it it would be legal to hunt wit here. PA is very strict on what we are allowed to us.

Bill
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 00:57

A new member joins us around the ol` campfire today. Welcome aboard Harrison44 in California. Hey Harrison, did you know that a catfish has over 27,000 taste buds? Yikes! I wonder what could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond? Nice to have you with us Harrison.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 10, 2012 15:07

Chuckwagon wrote:...flick-a-stick. It's a very sporting and skilled method of hunting deer.
Would that be an atlatl? Talk about pre-dating the musket and bow-and-arrow! :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 07:28

I think I told you about the time I crossed the creek in moccasins after bragging to all the ranch-hands about the new arrows I had just made. I was only about fifteen or sixteen and really cocky. I confidently told them that I would bring back a rack of antlers wearing a deer! I headed up the south slope in the quaken aspens to shoot a trophy and, well... I found him alright, but when I pulled the arrow back, my hand was shaking so badly that the arrow actually skipped off his back when I let it go. Then I saw something that day that I'll never forget. That startled buck raised his chin and blew snot in a straight, horizontal line to the ground. (Yup, green, gooey, snot!) :shock: Scared the crap out of me! Later, I walked back to the ranch totin' a beautiful wild turkey. It was great, but for weeks... the ranch-hands would "gobble" behind my back every time I turned around. It's amazing how we mature with age... I've never bragged about "flickin' sticks" since that day.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Jul 17, 2012 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 09:07

Welcome to WD "Slider" in the UMR in the USA. If I`m not mistaken, that`s the Upper Mississippi River basin. Hey Slider, did you know that the first testicular guard, called the "Cup," was used in Hockey way back in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important. OOOoooo It`s nice to have you with us Slider.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
slider

Post by slider » Thu Jul 12, 2012 14:48

hahahaha, learn somthing new every day, you are correct on the upper mississippi river, look on a map and find MM 282.3 and youll find my location, I grew up on a farm we butchered all our own meat, man i miss those days. I found this site looking to start dry curing some sausage, ive been making fresh sausage and snack sticks for a long time, brine cured some hams & cured bacon, Ive bought stans books and have read them a couple times in the last 2 years. im ready to start the build on a cure chamber (as soon as i gather up parts). Thanks to all that have posted on this site there is a wealth of information on here to sift through.

Take care
Slider
"The duck hunter, probing the secrets of a new day, sees the night retreat, and nothing is so fine as daylight coming and night departing while wings overhead whisper the old and unsolved mystery of migration." - Gordon MacQuarrie