Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Re: Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 15, 2021 18:28

Hojdiinnz wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:54
I measured the PH of an imported Italian salami the other day and it was 5.75. This surprised me as I read everywhere that it should be lower than 5.3 to be food safe?? Does PH go up again after fermentation and curing?
Good question, but you've learned that at the pH value of salami increases during the drying and maturation stage. If the salami is fermented down to 5.2 and not lower than 4.9 at any time, the salami pH value will increase over time. It will rise back to the same level as the starting point and it's not unusual for it to rise even higher, over the 6.0 mark. This is a result of proteolytic activity where alkaline by-products are formed, and is entirely normal and expected. The salami is usually shelf stable and safe by then because the water activity level was reduced below 0.89. When a salami is fermented down to 4.6 -4.8, the pH recovery rate will be minimal, to a 5.0 - 5.2 reading.
Hojdiinnz

Re: Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Post by Hojdiinnz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 20:41

Nice, with your expert information things are starting to make a lot of sense and I start to understand the whole process much better. Thank you so much for all the time you have taken to answer my questions. My Kefir batch still seems to do ok and in a couple of weeks they should be ready.
Thanks again, redzed :-)