Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Winephile

Re: Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Post by Winephile » Thu Feb 28, 2019 01:19

Yea, I was measuring, combining two recipes, and typing in the recipe as I went. I think I used 6 grams, just less than the 1/4 ounce asked for.

Your comment was very welcome, but threw me for a loop because I know that about Prague 1 & 2. The Dextrose called for 3/4 oz and the ingredients were one after the other. I think I glanced at the book and reversed the measurement for those two entries when I typed it up. Writing the recipe was my lowest priority at the time.

That said, I’m profoundly human and make huge blunders sometimes. Does anyone have knowledge of what, if any, taste indicators come with 700+ ppm? Otherwise, I may have to toss it on general principles.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:37

It won't kill you and you probably won't taste the difference. Just don't eat it all in one sitting. Give it at least a month in the chamber, allowing the nitrate to convert to nitrite and eventually nitric oxide. I'm also confused by your product as Pepin's recipe is really not a "saucisson" but a whole cured pork tenderloin.
Winephile

Post by Winephile » Sun Mar 03, 2019 13:18

You are confused because I was confused. I bought the Fermento because it was listed in “the book“ by some guy that made sausages forever. Now I realize that he was just making commercial sausage for the resulting flavor, not for the excellence of the product. Pepin‘s whole cured tenderloin looked appealing. When I realized that the fermenter wasn’t doing anything to the whole tenderloin, I ground and stuffed it.

On a related point, no one seems to sell fat here in Maryland. I suppose I could use rendered pork fat, but I have no idea whether that could work.

I will start using the recipes on this board and, in the meantime, order some starter culture.

Thank you for your assistance.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 21:27

Just for your information - yesterday made registration on our English site two of polish very valued members - Fisiek56 (known on polish site as Arkadiusz) and Miro(miro on polish site). Both of them are known as Masters of meat processing. Especially Fisiek56 aka Arkadiusz is known as Senior Master in most important fields of polish meat processing like kielbasa and others smoked products, offal products, cured and matured products. Miro is Master as well in these fields. I'm sure that soon they will introduce themself. Additionally as today Fisiek56 has Birthday.
Let me Welcome them to our Sausage Maker website.
Fisiek56

Post by Fisiek56 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 22:06

I would like to say hello to you :D . Stefan has already introduced me so I won't add anything on this issue. Probably some of you know me from the Polish side and know that I write directly what I think often very critically so don't take it for me wrong. So already I have style. About my products tooplease express yourself directly without being beaten by the bush. Constructive criticism is welcomep.S
Because my English is low, forgive me, but I will use an online translator ...
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 03, 2019 07:19

Hey Arkadiusz it's great to see you here. Welcome to the fold! We all look forward to your contributions.
oldsmoker

new to this forum

Post by oldsmoker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 06:24

i thought that i would introduce myself , i just ran across this forum today and found a lot of interesting reading
i have been smoking meat for about 40 years now and i still do things the old fashioned way , i don't use any of the fancy toys
that many do nowadays i keep it simple !!! , i learned how to smoke meat while helping a neighbor that owned a large BBQ restaurant
in my early 20s and have been doing it ever since , nowadays i mainly smoke Ribs , Boston butts , briskets the occasional chicken and about twice a year i make and smoke approx. 150 Lbs of smoked pork sausage for our friends
still enjoy talking anything BBQ
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 11, 2020 18:05

Welcome oldsmoker! With 40 years of smoking behind you I'm sure your experience would be of value to the gang here. And who knows, you might learn a few new tricks as well! :D Here we are are all about sharing and forever learning. What type of smoker do you have? And how about posting your brisket recipe?
oldsmoker

Post by oldsmoker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 19:53

thanks for the welcome ,
nothing special about the way i do brisket , just the standard rub, brown sugar , red pepper, onion, garlic and paprika
i do like to use oak wood for it instead of the fruit woods , ( just a bit sweeter tasting wood ) but for most everything else i use
nothing but hickory , i have a commercial stainless steel vertical propane smoker , it lets me get a good 50 lbs of sausage on it
i am interested in finding out what some of the folks on here think about the Dakota water stuffer ,
i am getting to old to keep stuffing 150 lbs of sausage using my 15 lb crank stuffer ( bad shoulders ) and am looking at buying one in the next couple of weeks , it would be nice to get some input before buying it
Mujo

Post by Mujo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:39

Hi guys, been lurking on here for a while and decided to join in the fun :wink: , from Australia with Croatian heritage so have grown up on mostly smoked/ cured meats and looking to continue the tradition. Have been making salami with a few Italian mates the last few years and coppicolla but now looking to start on more traditional Croatian style cured bacon (slanina). Im in the process of making a cold smoker to accompany my curing chamber I’ve brought....thanks for the knowledge you all provide on here and hopefully I don’t bug you all with to many questions :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 12, 2020 15:24

Welcome aboard mate! We are happy to have you join us and ask all the questions you want. It would also be great if you would share some of your recipes. I have been to Croatia two times and know that there is a great tradition there for both the Central European smoked products and the Southern European dry cured meats. Best of both worlds! As to the slanina are you going to do something like this? :D

https://www.croatiaweek.com/photo-world ... n-croatia/
Mujo

Post by Mujo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 21:57

haha iam usually one to take my hobbies way to far but don’t think my wife would appreciate that hanging in the back yard...my recipes are still quite basic don’t want rock the salumi world to much just yet. I have done a white wine infused capicola which was a friends recipe that we also cold smoked, turned out awesome. Will have to post some pictures once my old phones repaired. Thanks for the welcome
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 12, 2020 22:14

Welcome to the forum Mujo. Can't wait to see some pictures.
wasuky
User
User

Post by wasuky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 23:59

Hi guys,I'm Cesar from Venezuela. I've been reading you for a couple months now. After falling in love with dry meats a couple of years ago while living in Argentina, I have kept a very small project in my head but just did not have time to pull it off. Now, I came back home in january, had an accident (stupid one) and broke an ankle (literally). So, after surgery and 2 months of recovery (still a couple more ahead) I've had a lot of time to think about this and I'm all in. I'm planning to start a very small (home-based?) bussiness making sausages (to start) and then moving on to dry sausages and meats.

For now, my problem is 0% experience (although I'm quite experienced in eating all these stuff). I've been gearing up in these past months with basic things [very basic home grinder that hopefully will work until I get a little bit more experience (I'm on a real budget here so can't give away all my money the first day )], reading a lot (not sure if it counts as "gear") and making contacts with a few providers (it's quite difficult in this area of the country as I live in the beach area (west of the country), so we have a lot of fish and none commercial meat productor (except for those "in-home" productor).

I have a lot of questions in my head that I got from 2 production test I did a couple years ago while living in Argentina (and had 0,000% experience) and tried to make a dry salami. Result: case hardening both times. And 2 weeks ago trying the grinder I made like 1kg of common sausage. Result: although it had like 45% fat (in purpose) it was dry (good in taste but really dry). I think it was because of the grinding disc I used (3mm) and it ended up being more like a paste (even thought I kept everything as cold as I could as long as my only good leg let me) than a good texture sausage. The meat and the fat looked good after grinding but when I started to mix the thing, it got like a paste (I thinkg that was my problem here).

Anyway I hope to count on you to solve my doubts when I can't find it on the forum and really hope you guys can understand what I write (I know my english sucks :lol: ).

See you around!!! Cheers!
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Thu Apr 02, 2020 03:47

Welcome aboard