Smoker size larger than a toaster and smaller than a bus.

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Smoker size larger than a toaster and smaller than a bus.

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 04, 2011 20:46

My wife and I have a good agreement I do all of the cooking and she does the clean-up. I try not to use all of the pots and pans for one meal.
Our likes for food are comprehensive and smoked meat is a small part of our diet. This brings me to the question of the practical size of a smoker for occasional use for batches of less than a whole turkey which I would at least split. I don't believe that I could get away with an old refrigerator in my subdivision yard.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 23:27

Ross,
Take a look at this:
http://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/ ... n-egg.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page for smaller sizes. They are not sold over the internet and you must visit a dealer to purchase one. Lots of folks use them and swear by them, but I have no idea whatsoever how much one would pay for one. Just thought you'd like to look.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. My wife and I also have an agreement. I do all of the cooking AND I do all of the cleanup! :lol: Don't let your wife see this message :!:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 04, 2011 23:55

That is an interesting system but costly. I made a gas log fireplace with cement tile backer and ceramic tile. The outside of the fire box is insulated with fiberglass house insulation and it is housed in a plywood framework. It has been completely dependable for about ten years. Materials are inexpensive, labor and design is expensive.
Maybe a ceramic tile lined smoker could be made durable and aesthetically pleasing. Frost proof tile is readily available and the temperatures involved are moderate for these materials.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 04:35

Ross,
You may want to check with two of our members who are very experienced with professionally made barbecue grills etc. (They make their own). They can both be reached by private message (PM) by going to the "membership" list on the homepage.

These hombres are:
CrankyBuzzard
and
GrayGoat

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 05, 2011 04:50

Thanks!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 05:31

Ross,
My brother lived in an "exclusive" neighborhood in an eastern city where smokers and "setch things" were not permitted on verandas, decked porches, etc. He couldn`t give up smoking meat so he went to his nearest giganto-mart hardware and gardening supply store and bought a great looking terracotta pot - a nice garden decorative item. However, he stopped by the kitchenware department on the way out and bought a stainless steel dish and an inexpensive hot plate. He inserted a steel rod through two holes near the top and hung meats from the rod. Need I say more? :wink: It worked very well and didn`t cost much at all.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 05, 2011 14:32

Chuckwagon that is what I was waiting to hear. I understand how complex a smoker can be but I wondered how simple and small they can be made and still do a reasonable job.
I bet a large flue liner would be just about the right size and length.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 02:14

Ross, I have seen people MANY times use a simple cardboard box (of any size) to contain the smoke from an electric barbecue starter and a pan of sawdust or a hot plate. A dowel jammed through the cardboard (near the top of the box) served as a hanger to suspend coils of sausages. The box needs a "damper" and a "draft control" (cut with a pocket knife) to keep the smoke flowing at trickle speed. It works just fine. On page 195 of Stan, Robert, and Adam Marianski's book, "Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design", the illustration even shows folks how to insert one box into another to form a "double decker" model. (See: Bookmagic.com) Also, be sure to check out the smoking instructions given on the homepage of this site. Click on Wedlinydomowe.com then go to "smoking". Lots of good info there too.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 07:08

Chuckwagon wrote:Ross,
Take a look at this:
http://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/ ... n-egg.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page for smaller sizes. They are not sold over the internet and you must visit a dealer to purchase one. Lots of folks use them and swear by them, but I have no idea whatsoever how much one would pay for one. Just thought you'd like to look.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. My wife and I also have an agreement. I do all of the cooking AND I do all of the cleanup! :lol: Don't let your wife see this message :!:
Hey Ross,

I have used a 'Little Chief' smoker for years. It is totally adequate for the needs of a small family. It was only when I began sharing my products with family and friends that the need for a larger unit became necessary. (Besides, I always wanted a bigger unit, don't really know why.)
I still have the LC but have cut it in half (2 trays) to take along in the motorhome. We spend a lot of time, wilderness camping. So a couple of trout, grouse or a rabbit provide a great alternative to beefchickenpork. With the seafood resources you have at hand I can imagine smoked mussels, clams, crab or lobster would be over the top.
I highly recoommmend the LC as a solution.
Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 11, 2011 13:41

I like the portability of the little chef because this would be an occasional use item. Smoked meat and seafood is wonderful but so also are many things. I am still in the planning stages of this endeavour.
Different subject: breakfast sausage shaped not as a patty but in a skinny ring about 2 1/2 inches inside, fried done and then while it is still in the pan break an egg or two inside the ring.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 14:01

Sounds like 'huevos marylandos.' A great presentation idea. A liitle BBQ sauce, some sliced tomato, hash browns and Texas toast would round it out nicely. (Maybe a little grated cheddar or Monterey Jack?) :grin:

Gotta go make breakfast. :arrow:

PS!

If you are on the west coast and have just woken up, turn on the TV and prepare for a quick exit to higher ground.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
DAS

Post by DAS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 14:47

I most likely should not admit this on my first post. but, I use a Brinkman Smoke and Grill. Like you I also live in a crowed residential area. It is a propane unit. I know its not the true way to smoke food. But, it allows me to smoke more often than I would by using other methods. And the food comes out very good!
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 22:51

Welcome DAS!

As long as you don't use diesel or canola to fire your wood chips, all else is allowed. :mrgreen:
I use electricity for the most part and can't recall anyone spitting out any of the produce, ever.
There are purists among us who advocate the use of charcoal and it is probably the top end of the craft. I couldn't tell you, never tried it.
The end result is the goal. if you and your family enjoy what you produce, no worries.

I hope you will learn, share and enjoy this forum. We try to keep things light and interesting. Speaking of interesting, have you heard what old Chuckwagon has been up to? Maybe I shouldn't say. :shock:

TTFN
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 12, 2011 05:54

I work wood for a living. Yea, even at my age I still work. I am going to try smoke cooking some pork loin this weekend on my grill. I will lay one inch hickory board on the bottom grate in my gas grill. Put a heat shield on the middle grate and put a drip pan on that and place the meat on the top rack. I have to rescue the meat from the salt, ,sugar, orange peel, bayleaf, mustard seed, black pepper, crushed chili pepper, brine it as been in since monday.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 07:11

Hi Ross,
It is highly recommended that folks don't use "treated" lumber and boards for smoking.
You wrote:
one inch hickory board
Once I looked up the composition of the stuff they treat lumber with. The toxins are unbelievable. Stay healthy my friend! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon