What to do with out of date foods and leftovers

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

What to do with out of date foods and leftovers

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 26, 2011 13:44

I apparently have some form of insanity, (shut up Chucky) which compels me to buy all manner of "superspecials," particularly meat. Consequently, the freezers are always full and frequently need to be cleared of `out of date` goods. In the past, we`ve given some to friends and neighbours for pet food, the reminder went to the landfill.

This time I contacted the SPCA and they welcomed all the meat we could provide.
They also partner with a local, private wildlife refuge. The refuge has wounded or orphaned eagles, bears etc. They are willing to take any type of food. Leftovers, soups/stews, veggies, fruit, fish, whatever. The bears apparently love pizza.

If there is an animal shelter or refuge in your area, you may want to share what would ordinarily be tossed. None of our stuff is older than one year and all is vacuum packed. Oddly enough, when we offered it to the local soup kitchen it was refused. They have rules!

Sometime in the next week we will be donating about 200 pounds of food to these two organizations, in the name of the WD forum. They will be invited to express their thanks to the forum.

My therapist has told me to quit buying more than we can use and I told Dr Phil to mind his own business.

In the future, we will save and freeze leftovers in bulk packs, as many animals will eat pretty much anything. I`ve written letters to the editors of our local newspapers, encouraging the community to pitch in.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 26, 2011 17:51

For many years I have simply tossed my table scrap and meat waste out back and a local fox cleans it all up. It is never there in the morning and often by midnight it is gone.
Ross- tightwad home cook