another riddle

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

another riddle

Post by ssorllih » Tue May 31, 2011 21:15

1 is fifty cents
12 is one dollar
314 is a dollar and a half
What am I selling?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 31, 2011 22:51

I've got it! I've got it!
Bad arithmetic. :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jun 01, 2011 00:46

nope but I give another hint 4875 is two dollars.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 02, 2011 01:36

Not getting much responce on this. It isn't some arcane problem it is easy if you take it logically. If one is fifty cents and twelve is a dollar then twenty-one is also a dollar as is forty-seven.
Ross- tightwad home cook
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 09:08

Numbers?
~Joe~

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I love playing with my sausage!
Nie mam pojęcia co robię, ale uwielbiam bawić się z moimi kiełbasy!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Sep 21, 2011 20:29

ssorllih wrote:1 is fifty cents
12 is one dollar
314 is a dollar and a half
What am I selling?
I tried defining a variable then applying it to a calculation and it does not pan out. So it can't be coins.

Another hint please?
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 22, 2011 02:41

Tacklebox nailed it. House numbers. I live at 802 my neighbor lives at 801 my friend lives at 709.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:18

Well, uh.... ok Mr. Smartypants Hill. Let's see if you can figure this one out! :twisted:

Three men checked into a hotel. They asked for and got, the cheapest room available, for only thirty dollars. Each man chipped in ten bucks and the bill was paid. However, when the night clerk came to work, he told the bellhop that the day clerk overcharged the men because the room actually rents for only twenty-five dollars. So, the bellhop was sent to their room with a five-dollar refund. On the way up, the bellhop realized that five dollars could not be easily split into three portions, so he pocketed two dollars and gave each man a dollar refund. Now, each man had paid 9 dollars. Three times nine is twenty-seven. The bellhop kept two dollars and added to the twenty-seven, the total comes to twenty-nine dollars. Where is the other dollar? :shock:

(There is actually an explanation to this weird problem. Where did the other dollar go? Only three per-cent of the population is able to figure it out - and most of them are women.)
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25

I'll let y'all sweat it out a bit...I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, so I won't go 2 for 2 in two days :mrgreen:

But, I will leave you one to ponder on:

You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things:

1. One path leads to Paradise, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two paths. Worse, once you start down a path, you cannot turn back.

2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards.

You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads to Paradise. Remember that you do not know which guard you're asking -- the truth-teller or the liar -- and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the path to Paradise, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?
~Joe~

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I love playing with my sausage!
Nie mam pojęcia co robię, ale uwielbiam bawić się z moimi kiełbasy!
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37

tacklebox wrote:I'll let y'all sweat it out a bit...I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, so I won't go 2 for 2 in two days :mrgreen:

But, I will leave you one to ponder on:

You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things:

1. One path leads to Paradise, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two paths. Worse, once you start down a path, you cannot turn back.

2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards.

You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads to Paradise. Remember that you do not know which guard you're asking -- the truth-teller or the liar -- and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the path to Paradise, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?
"If I asked the other guard, which door would he indicate leads to Paradise?"

You would then take the door opposite to what's indicated! Regardless of whom you ask, they'll point to the wrong door.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42

Chuckwagon wrote:Well, uh.... ok Mr. Smartypants Hill. Let's see if you can figure this one out! :twisted:

Three men checked into a hotel. They asked for and got, the cheapest room available, for only thirty dollars. Each man chipped in ten bucks and the bill was paid. However, when the night clerk came to work, he told the bellhop that the day clerk overcharged the men because the room actually rents for only twenty-five dollars. So, the bellhop was sent to their room with a five-dollar refund. On the way up, the bellhop realized that five dollars could not be easily split into three portions, so he pocketed two dollars and gave each man a dollar refund. Now, each man had paid 9 dollars. Three times nine is twenty-seven. The bellhop kept two dollars and added to the twenty-seven, the total comes to twenty-nine dollars. Where is the other dollar? :shock:

(There is actually an explanation to this weird problem. Where did the other dollar go? Only three per-cent of the population is able to figure it out - and most of them are women.)
the internet is a wonderful thing wrote:The $27 that the men ultimately end up paying, plus the $3 that was returned to them, adds up to the original $30. The $25 that the men were supposed to pay for the room, plus the $5 that the bellhop was supposed to return to them, equals the original $30.

The question tries to trick you into adding the $2 stolen by the bellhop to the total of $27 that the three men end up paying, for a total of $29, and then wondering why it doesn't add up to the original $30. But this is nonsense, as the $27 already includes the stolen $2
($25 for the room plus the stolen $2 equals $27).
Did I cheat?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 22, 2011 15:38

IBCN puppies
MSNO puppies
OSAR puppies
CMPN

another one :

Seville der dago.
Tousan busus inarow