WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun May 13, 2012 15:38

That is really something to be proud of.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

I rebuilt my computer this weekend

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 03, 2012 04:08

My five year old Vista operating system had become glacial in terms of operating speed. Internal testing show HD faults and errors. So I bought Windows 7 professional for 140 dollars and a new hard drive for 90 and spent several hours introducing my computer to all of its neighbors.
This doesn't mean that my posts will be more scholarly but I will be able to get all the way through a sentence without a coffee break.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 03, 2012 05:27

Your a brave man. I think I have a bot on my computer. Its gotten slow. Installed a new anti-virus software but nothing is picked up. I'd like to find whoever writes vruses so I could go medieval on them for a week or two.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 16:06

If your system is slow you may have registry error problems! Try clearing you Cache and Cookies (not the ones you eat) and your Browsing History regularly and that may help speed things up!
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 03, 2012 17:34

There were serious hd problems. It would skip entire sentences when I was typeing.
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 18:51

Ross
Where did you get your hard drive at? There are several good online sites that sell good quality computer parts at discounted prices (New-Egg and Geeks.com are two of my favorites). It was probably a good thing to switch from Vista to Windows 7 as I read somewhere that Microsoft is soon to stop supporting the Vista Software soon.
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 03, 2012 20:23

Got my HD and OS at Newegg. Nice people to deal with. Microsoft has stopped updates for Vista.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 08:23

Ross wrote:
It would skip entire sentences when I was typeing.
Yeah, me too pard, but it wasn't my computer's fault! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 04, 2012 14:40

CW, I just gotta ask--- when do you sleep? Now I understand that you live on cowboy mountain time but by my calculations you do your best work after midnight.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Jun 04, 2012 16:14

Gentlemen! ......easy computer bug fix!

If ever you see the above bug on your screen, spray-soak your screen vehemently with Raid. If the bug continues crawling around on your screen, slap the living crap out of your screen.

After that, if the bug continues to crawl around, you can assume with certainty your PC has a bug! :lol:
Ron
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:06

I seem to have bugs in every computer I own now! Ahhhhhhh!!!! :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 23:11

Has anybody here tried "System Mechanic"? It's available downloaded from AOL for about five bucks a month or so. I've used it for about 2 years and found that it really works for me.
Bubba wrote:
If ever you see the above bug on your screen, spray-soak your screen vehemently with Raid. If the bug continues crawling around on your screen, slap the living crap out of your screen.
Wrong approach ol' friend! What 'cha do is lure the critter into yer' sausage mixture. He's PROTEIN!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 17:47

Yeah thinkin about rebuilding mine too, the firebox is shot and the boiler leaks like a sieve and the little woman keeps bitchin about the smoke in the house, besides shoven the coal through that little tiny wienie slot in the front is just a pain. Might even upgrade to one of those new fangled models, yuh know the ones with the Main frame and rows of wires and black beads. Heard that Abacus OS is like really quick,Yup time to step into the modern age.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 22:41

Gentlemen,
After reading the messages from all you experts, a computer novice like me thinks of only one solution: Kick the crap out of it.
I am going to shop around for a new computer as well, mine hasn't been updated for several years and it's driving me nuts.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 05:31

Swallow wrote:
besides shoven the coal through that little tiny wienie slot in the front is just a pain.
I'm surprised you haven't discovered that-there western Colorado FLAT, low-sulphur, bituminous coal. It's best to mine yer' own of course... just start diggin' in your own backyard until you come to the real FLAT black stuff. You'll know it when you see it. I've always had to lubricate mine (with a little cod liver oil) before shovin' it through the little slot.
And Crusty...
Kick the crap out of it alright... but then shoot the dad-gummed thing! A Winchester 30-30 saddle carbine always works nicely! :roll: It ventilates as it penetrates.