WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Aug 19, 2012 17:08

Hello.

I have some time now, here is the recipe.

C.W. please move it to the place it belongs to, because I don't know how, thank you.

Fresh, Hungarian sausage.

1 kg. pork shoulder butt.( I like 20 to 30 % fat)
18 to 20 grams Morton coarse kosher salt.
15 grams Hungarian paprika....(Penzeys spices sell second best, first is home made), or any paprika You have.
10 grams fresh garlic....(too much for some people).... or use garlic powder.
2 to 3 grams black/white peppers (ground.)
2 grams ground caraway seeds.(some people grind half of it, some add it hole).

Cut meat to 1", to 1.5". I remove all soft tissue. Mix all ingredients, You can use some cold/icy water/whine. Add to meat, mix well. Grind with 8 mm. (5/16), or 10 mm.(3/8) plate. After grinding, mix again, until sticky. Stuff, link, and bake, fry in pan, grill, to done.

* this can have soft fat in it.
* To make it hot, use 2/3 sweet paprika, 1/3 hot paprika.(change to preferred hotness.)
* If not using Hungarian paprika, use more to color, to Your liking.

Ps.....use anything You like in it, pl.....add some beef, nutmeg, ginger, clove, coriander seeds......but change only one ingredient at a time, to know how it changes. Some people use even mustard seeds in salami.

Cold smoked/dry sausage.

1 kg. pork shoulder butt, 30 to 35 % fat.(Use only hard fat,or bacon, hard trimmings.)
25 to 27 grams Morton coarse kosher salt.
20 grams paprika.
10 grams garlic.(or garlic powder.)
3 grams black, or white peppers, (ground)
2 grams ground caraway seeds.
2.5 grams cure # 2.

Cut meat as above, mix, grind, stuff, hang it in cool place for a day or two, to cure and dry.
Cold smoke for 3-4 days, to red/brown color.....or to Your liking, do NOT over smoke, or it gets sour.
Hang in cool/dry airy place, let it dry for 2-3 weeks, salami takes 4 months or so, lose minimum 30 to 40 % of green weight.

Hmmmm...maybe next Hungarian winter (Pick) salami.....

One have to know, there is no such thing as diet sausage, or bacon......

Joe.
Last edited by Gulyás on Sun Aug 19, 2012 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Sun Aug 19, 2012 17:26

I have had good luck using a sweet wine instead of dextroxe in my recipes for a hard, dry sausage. I think the lacto-bacteria ferment using the sugar in the wine. Anyone else tried this?
circlecross
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 19, 2012 18:53

Gulyás wrote:Hello.

I have some time now, here is the recipe.

C.W.

Cut meat to 1", to 1.5". I remove all soft tissue.

Joe.

My question concerns the removal of all the soft tissue. Does this mean the sinews and tendons? Usually soft tissue refers to anything that isn't bone.
Thanks and it is good to have you here.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Aug 19, 2012 19:58

Hello ssorllih !

The meat in pork shoulder butt can be separated by pulling it apart on the fat layers. In between is a thin layer of fat, the size of your hand, you can almost see thru it.
That is the fat better removed, sinews and tendons too. When you cook it, the fat melts out from the fresh one, but not from the dry one.

Caraway seeds are not my favorites, for myself I leave them out, but that is what makes the difference between a regular, or the world famous gyulai (sausage), similar to csabai.
In this garlic is the dominant flavor.
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Sun Aug 19, 2012 20:25

I thought I knw how to cut up a Boston butt and did not know to pull it apart at the fat layers. I see that I have much to learn. Thank you for the tip.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Aug 19, 2012 20:33

The only reason I'm here is, because I don't know anything.
If I knew how to change my nick, I'd change it to the Jack of everything, master of nothing. :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 19, 2012 22:44

A knife is very helpful. I always can separate a joint at the muscles but a knife is always needed at the bones. The layers of fat cushion the muscles and there is much connective tissue that holds the fat in place.
Ross- tightwad home cook
workaholic3927

Post by workaholic3927 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 02:02

Count me in on Project B...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 20, 2012 02:29

Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:56

Howdy wranglers! It sure is good to see some of our older members joining in Project B. You folks are a sight for sore eyes! Glad to have you folks on the roster.
Crusty, the terror of Australia, is joining us from Brisbane, and our ol` sidekick "fridgedoc" is here from France although he`s still flying English colors :wink: Good to see you hombres! And our ol pal "Gunny" (jarhead) is here from s/w Missouri, along with "circlecross" in Oklahoma. Hey folks, did you know that James (circlecross) is a member of MENSA? And our ol` buds from Illinois "workaholic" and "tooth" are back with us and lookin` good. And.... lookie there! It`s "grasshopper" from Montana - we`ll have to change his tag when he get some good Project B experience behind him (he won`t be a grasshopper any longer). Yes sirrreee! Boys, you are really a sight for sore eyes! Ya` all pour yourselves a cup of Arbuckles and pull up a log around the campfire. We`ll be starting soon.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Aug 20, 2012 04:52

Yes sir.
I'm ready. I have 29/32 mm. hog casing at home, I think I will use it for the breakfast sausage, instead of buying a bundle of 22-26 mm sheep casings.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 06:09

Hi Workaholic, you wrote:
I am having so much trouble navigating in this web site. That is why you never see me in here. When I brought it up it said I had 1 or 2 thousand messages deleted automatically. I would have looked at and most likely answered each one of them if I knew where to go.
For navigating help, please click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5357
I believe it will clear up much of the confusion. Please let me know if you have any further trouble. I'm here to help.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 07:27

Hi Gulyas,
Thank you so much for your recipe. I will copy it and put it in the "sausages" section. Once a week I post all the new recipes in the Member's Recipe Index (http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146) so I'll be sure to include it there too.

If we twisted your arm really hard, could we get you to post a recipe for Hungarian Goulash in the "Recipes Around The World" section?

By the way... I've found out that if I am going to write anything on Wedliny Domowe, I always write it on a blank page in "Word" on my computer. Then I highlight it and "copy" it. Next, I open up the "new topic" in WD and "paste" what I wrote (inside a new text box or a reply). I've had too many recipes get lost in cyberspace somewhere. There have been many times I've had to go back and copy (again) the original text to try to send it again. I've been awfully glad I had the "original" to go back to.

One more thing to help you navigate. No matter what page you are on in WD, you can always go back to the index page (home page) by clicking on the words, "Homemade Sausage Making" in the upper left-hand side of any page. It's under the FAQ icon. Be sure to let me know if you need more help. That's what I'm here for.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54

Hi Chuckwagon.

I wrote something, but it got lost again in cyberspace. Looks like writing it in World is a very good idea.
I'll write you the Hungarian Goulash recipe later, like next week, because I'm very busy now.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:59

I had a massage, but looks like that got lost too.
I'm sorry, but I can't answer it.