WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Trosky
User
User

WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Post by Trosky » Fri May 14, 2010 13:03

CHAT - CHAT - CHAT!
Do you have something to say, but you don't want to start an entire forum topic? Post it here. Tell everyone what's on your mind. Let it all hang out! All we ask is that you don't break the rules of the forum. If you have something to say but you don't wish to open an entire new topic, this is the place to post continuing ideas or just idle chit-chat. Above all, have some fun! :lol:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

:grin: My first Kabanosy turned out great! I am trying to add a picture but I've never done this before. Well I guess its not gonna work. The weather here was was just right for curing temps down in the low 30's at night and 40's in the day. I was able to hold the sausage at 60 degrees for 7 days and ended up with a 52% yield. If I can ever learn how to post a picture I have allot of pic's of my smoker build I'd like to share it works great and I am proud of it. Trosky
Last edited by Trosky on Sun Sep 29, 2013 03:01, edited 6 times in total.
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Fri May 14, 2010 14:02

Congratulations on your kabanosy's success. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Unfortunately I can't explain how to post a picture because I use "Fotosik.pl " not Imageshack.
Trosky wrote:The weather here was was just right for curing temps down in the low 30's at night and 40's in the day.
Is it in Fahrenheit ?( we use Celsius scale ) so I think you ought to have air temperature about 20 st C ( 68 st F) .Can I be wrong or I did not understand this sentence :oops:
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Fri May 14, 2010 14:24

It is in fahrenheit I should have stated that . Real cold for this time of year. Trosky
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Fri May 14, 2010 15:02

Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Fri May 14, 2010 15:35

Good site Chudziak. I am closer to Cleveland a little colder up here always look at the map on this site I have a ballon there.
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Fri May 14, 2010 15:39

Trosky wrote:look at the map on this site I have a ballon there.
I already checked. My balloon is also there :lol: .
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 15, 2010 08:46

Way to go Trosky! I'm glad it turned out well for you. Uh... don't you think you ought to have Chudziak and me "test" it for you? ha ha :wink:
Kabanosy is one of those meat products that you just can't get enough of. Pretty soon it will be time to make some more. How are you with jerky?
When you get ready for bio cultures and dry-cured salami and pepperoni, let me know and I'll help you through the process all I can.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Sat May 15, 2010 09:49

Chuckwagon you and Chudziak should test it come on over anytime. I posted a pic in hyde park. I made jerky once it was OK but I didn't like the recipe I used, it was a honey and something I don't remember. I do want to get in to bio cultures and dry-cured salami. I'll have to wait until fall. I don't have a way to hold temps when it warm out. If there's another way to do it let me know and I'll give it a shot. Trosky
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Sat May 15, 2010 12:43

Trosky wrote:Chuckwagon you and Chudziak should test it come on over anytime.
Ok I will drop over with pleasure :wink: :lol: :lol: but....
I think it is more probable that you will visit me in Poland :mrgreen:
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Sat May 15, 2010 13:13

I do have relatives in Vilnius maybe :wink:
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Sat May 15, 2010 13:46

But Vilnus isn't in Poland :sad: but throughout history Vilus belonged to the Poland for a period of time .After The Second World War Vilnius belonged to the USSR and since 1991 is the capital of independent Lithuania. ( It's only about 650 km from me )
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 16, 2010 00:37

Hey Olga,
Wait for me.... wait for me! I'm hitching a ride with Trosky. Sorry, but the only relatives who claim me are on the planet Pluto! :wink:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Jul 23, 2010 18:13

I just printed the recipe for Kabanosy and am ready to give it a go.

I finished a pancetta that may be ready to try this weekend so I am up for another test.

I am curious as to the differences in salami's that use products as Bactoferm and this Kabanosy. Is it not really like a salami?

Dave
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 18:31

Dave zac did you make the Kabanosy if so how's it coming along. As far as I know Kabanosy is a semi dry cured sausage curing stops when you heat it to 152 f and salami is a fermented sausage that can take months to cure without cooking it. Chuckwagon knows allot about salamis ask him.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 18:53

I have not yet made it. My Pancetta is still drying. We were very humid here last week (80%) so I only lost a few ounces in a week. Back down to 70% humidity so I hope one more week and it will have lost 25% of it's original weight.

I did a bit of research on fermented sausages. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kabanosy ferments in the 72 hour refrigeration stage; whereas a Bactoferm reduces that to one day of so.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave