WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
jcflorida
User
User

Re: WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Post by jcflorida » Mon Mar 29, 2021 22:24

Albertaed wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 21:45
JC have you made these before?
Edit - Oops, Albertaed I misread what you were asking about.
Yes, I've made both the smoked sausage and hot dogs before. This will be the first time for using brisket for the hot dogs though.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Mar 29, 2021 23:18

Share pics!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 01:05

Albertaed wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 18:39
Hey Red I had Krakauer (which I believe is basically the German variation of Krakowska) on my list of to do’s. I may make it a this weekend and work on a few techniques.
I imagine your white sausage is a variation of German wiesswurst, Which I have to admit doesn’t look overly appetizing. :lol: :lol:
Weisswurst is a favorite of mine. Instead of water or ice in the emulsion I use frozen milk or ice cold milk. When grilled nicely they are golden brown like the outside of a toasted marshmallow. A silent cutter or big food processor is a must.
I'm making fresh breakfast sausage, a Kasseler ham and smoked paprika, jalapeno chili smokies as well.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Tue Mar 30, 2021 01:07

Man I wish I could find an affordable bowl cutter
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 01:09

jcflorida wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 21:25
Picked up a couple of choice briskets cheap sooo....
- Yesterday, a couple of 100% beef salamis into fermentation.
- 100% pork version with same recipe as an experiment also fermenting.
- Tomorrow, all beef smoked sausage and all beef hot dogs.
- Smoke the points for burnt ends over next weekend.

Beef salamis and hot dogs variants of cajuneric's videos here:
http://twoguysandacooler.com/making-a-100-beef-salami/ and
http://twoguysandacooler.com/hebrew-nat ... at-recipe/
I make a lot of wild game hot dogs. I use about 55% wild and 25% pork belly trim and 20% pork butt. If you don't have a decent amount of fat they turn out very rubbery.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Tue Mar 30, 2021 03:14

Albertaed wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 23:18
Share pics!
I'm not sure what pictures you want shared (Or even if you're asking me), but here's some of the types I'm making this week.

Hot dogs - skinless are the only ones my grandkids will eat! (These made with 80/20 chuck).

Previous smoked beef sausage from brisket.

Burnt ends.

Yesterday's brisket salami fermenting:

Previous brisket grind, approx 80/20 flat/fat.

Previous brisket salami
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 03:51

Okay, I've got my very first dry curing attempt underway. Two coppe are curing in the fridge. Meanwhile, I'm still fiddling with the drying chamber.

I had difficulty trimming the coppe because I had apparently never noticed how carelessly those Costco butts are boned--it was like they were hacked at by a crazed serial killer. I tell myself they are just experimental subjects, possibly sacrificial, but if I like the results, I can repeat with heritage pork, lovingly butchered.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:54

JC, is the brisket salami 100% beef w/beef fat? If so were you happy with the results? And did or could you post recipe? My wife likes Jewish salami and I had hoped to make one before too long.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Tue Mar 30, 2021 20:22

Scogar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:54
JC, is the brisket salami 100% beef w/beef fat? If so were you happy with the results? And did or could you post recipe?
Scogar - I used the brisket fat. Separated the lean(ish) brisket flat meat, then added 20% fat back in. The recipe is from this video:
http://twoguysandacooler.com/making-a-100-beef-salami/
In my most recent batch, I added 0.2% ground coriander and 0.1% mace. Liked it a little better. Also, in Eric's written recipe, the amount of non-fat dry milk is confusing. The amount posted works out to 20g/Kg while the percentage is given as .2%. I asked, and the 20g/Kg (2%) is correct.

I don't know the rules for Kosher, but there is no meat other than beef. We were happy with the results.

John
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 20:57

Awesome, thanks I'll check it out. No need for kosher but "strangely" my wife doesn't seem to like sausages too much but if i make it from at least mostly beef or I can finally get into Italian salamis (pork or otherwise) she somehow doesn't classify these as sausage. Don't ask :roll: :roll:
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 22:14

Scogar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 20:57
Awesome, thanks I'll check it out. No need for kosher but "strangely" my wife doesn't seem to like sausages too much but if i make it from at least mostly beef or I can finally get into Italian salamis (pork or otherwise) she somehow doesn't classify these as sausage. Don't ask :roll: :roll:
How about cooked salamis? I have made cooked all-beef (brisket) salamis similar to the Hebrew National style with some success. Brisket fat seems to be sufficiently hard--not as nice as pork back fat, but it works.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 00:52

There really is no rhyme or reason...I think she would like to be about 80% vegetarian in her head and could take or leave meat. She always "likes" what I make but in small portions. But when I buy her a Jewish salami she cuts off a few slices with her tomato and avocado and cheese. I'm working on her, but it will be a while. By cooked I'm thinking things like summer sausage, etc. That's a maybe
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 19:14

Here are the Melton Mowbray Pork Pies. These are pork mince seasoned only with salt and pepper and are supposed to be topped up with a pork gelatin stock. This time around I have leaky pie crusts. So much for a hot suet crust...lard works better. But these will be frozen and used on hikes and camping.
ian Harvey

Post by ian Harvey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 05:14

Trosky wrote:
Fri May 14, 2010 13:03
CHAT - CHAT - CHAT!
Do you have something to say, but you don't want to start an entire forum topic? Post it here. Tell everyone what's on your mind. Let it all hang out! All we ask is that you don't break the rules of the forum. If you have something to say but you don't wish to open an entire new topic, this is the place to post continuing ideas or just idle chit-chat. Above all, have some fun! :lol:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
________Condensation in my curing chamber______________________
Hello
I am new to all of this but... I have a single glass door drinks fridge that I have set up as a curing chamber. I have had a couple of batches of meats thru it and have been fairly happy with the results.
M y problem has been a bit of case hardening so after a bit of online research I replaced the fan with a computer fan. This has stopped a lot of air in the chamber.. But... I now get a lot of condensation. I guess there is not enough air going across the cooling fins?
Has anyone come across this problem?
:grin: My first Kabanosy turned out great! I am trying to add a picture but I've never done this before. Well I guess its not gonna work. The weather here was was just right for curing temps down in the low 30's at night and 40's in the day. I was able to hold the sausage at 60 degrees for 7 days and ended up with a 52% yield. If I can ever learn how to post a picture I have allot of pic's of my smoker build I'd like to share it works great and I am proud of it. Trosky
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Thu Apr 01, 2021 13:13

I use the Imgur app. You have to edit the size to I believe 850 x 850 pixels and then from the View menu in Imgur, copy and paste the BBcode link.