WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jul 21, 2012 04:16

Tie 'em in rings like the guys at City Market in Luling, Texas, do so you can hang 'em up easily for smoking..
...short circuits? :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 01:24

Hi gristle grinders, casing crammers, smoke sniffers, and meat munchers! Have you checked out the Members` Recipe Index lately? :idea:
The MRI is in Hyde Park (in the "sticky section"), and it contains a couple of hundred recipes! Be sure to check out the second index also (at the bottom of the page) - that`s where the "non-sausauge"-related recipes are kept. This list contains everything from sauce to sauerkraut and there are some great recipes from all around the globe. Hope you're enjoying them!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

soup

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 09, 2012 03:01

Yesterday I made a small pot of chicken soup. Two drumsticks some onion,celery, carrot, bell pepper, black pepper, red pepper, salt and about 750 ml water. The soup was disappointing. Something was off. It tasted watery. It was watery! I had started with water.
The week before I had salted and spiced a package of drums and thighs and cooked a few each night by stewing them and each night I saved the cooking liquid. For the last three thighs and drums I put them in a large pan with carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms and the saved cooking liquid. When they were finished I kept the meat hot while I reduced to cooking liquid. I used some of that as a dressing for the meat. The rest I saved. The saved liquid when cold could be sliced and served on bread. I didn't do that . I added it to my left over soup. It produced the best soup that I have ever made.
I always make soup with stock but never before have I reinforced my stock like this.
Normally I make stock from the back portions of chicken leg quarters. I am going to start recycling the stock to multiple batches of bones.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 03:21

How about a taste? :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Pork shoulder picnic

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 10, 2012 13:32

They are on sale here this week for 1.18/pound. If I excise the bone and lay it open to cure it will I still need to pump it?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Aug 10, 2012 17:50

I wouldn't think so.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 10, 2012 18:20

I am going to give it a try.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Organizing "Project B" (Starting Notes)

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 07:05

"Project B" - Starting From "Scratch"

Several people have mentioned that they are having problems with the texture of their sausage and have said it comes out crumbly. Other folks say their links won`t stay put. Other beginners have complained about casings "blowing out" and a host of other problems common for beginners. All these problems have simple solutions. It just takes a little savvy and experience to overcome them. Why not make a batch TOGETHER, helping one another as we go along... in the privacy of our own homes? We`ve done it before you know!

Last year, ten sausage makers got together in one forum topic and made dry-cured salami for the first time. It was called `Project A` and it turned out to be a huge success as a valuable learning tool. (See: Microbiology Of Meat forum). Some folks` sausage turned out perfectly - others had problems. ALL learned how to made dry-cured sausage. Project A reaffirmed something for me too. It reminded me that when people get together and share information and help each other, there is no such thing as failure.

I believe quite a few people have been putting off "getting started" because they lack confidence or are unsure of themselves. Others think they might poison themselves with nitrite. Others are waiting until they can afford an electric grinder or a vertical stuffer. Well, it`s time to forge ahead kids!

I would like to propose a beginner`s project much like that of Project A, but for absolute beginners with confidence problems. How about a "Project B" (B for beginner)? This would involve learning the very basics while making a "fresh" type sausage and then a "cured & prep-cooked" type sausage for grilling.

Each day, I see how many "hits" we`ve had on various topics on the forums. The number of people browsing Wedliny Domowe without joining our membership, is incredible. The number of people searching for information is just short of astounding. How I wish these good folks would take a few minutes and sign in with us. Each day, I wonder how many of these folks are looking us over hoping to gain the confidence to actually begin making sausages. Why not join us in a beginning project where we will actually start from scratch and make some very good "fresh type" Polish Sausage and then some great "cured and cooked type" Brats for grilling? The best part is doing it together as beginners. We can compare notes and photos, and ask questions. We will discuss chopping, grinding, mixing, casings, stuffing, smoking, prep cooking, and all the other steps necessary to craft better sausage than one may purchase in a grocery store.

Believe it or not, the hardest part may be in admitting that you could just possibly be a rank beginner. Sure you know a little. Lots of folks just hate to admit they don`t know a heck of a lot about the subject - that`s the best part of remaining anonymous with an avatar instead of a real name. So, shucks pards... how about joining our group and signing up for "Project B"... knowing nothing about the sausage-making process. You`ll be making great sausages in no time at all. Hey... we all started from "scratch".

If you are interested, simply respond to this message with a commitment. Also, please feel free to make suggestions or comments. If we have ten or twelve interested people in a week`s time, we could start by reading just a bit, then by making some great Polish and Italian sausage links. Next would come some cured n' cooked type sausages and maybe a little kabanosy (Polish snack stick), before delving into some presentation-type smokey beef stick for Christmas gifts. I'd also like to introduce beginners to a fermented, spreadable Mettwurst using a culture. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Aug 20, 2012 22:42, edited 3 times in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56

That sounds like a grand idea. Count me in as I know just enough to know how much I have to learn.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:11

Count me in I've made a few batches of sausage and I'm always learning
Col. Big Guy
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Aug 15, 2012 16:07

Count me in. But will I need a hazmat suit for the nitrates/ites? :lol: :lol: (sorry, I couldn't resist myself)
ajwillsnet
User
User

Post by ajwillsnet » Wed Aug 15, 2012 16:41

Count me in. I have made sausage before, but a group effort sounds like a real learning experience to me!!

Bert
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 23:42

will I need a hazmat suit for the nitrates/ites?
Bean-O, you are a hoot! ROTFLMAO. :lol:
Image Image Image
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Wed Aug 15, 2012 23:50

I am sooooo in BUT with it being summer and all, there is a real possibility that I may be on a boat somewhere during the process......however I will strive to keep up.

Don't worry Buttah Bean Shooga! ChuckW. will keep us all safe!!!

Lead On Chuckwagon!!!!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 16, 2012 00:36

Lynn where do you sail? We are in the Susquehanna at Perryville.
Ross- tightwad home cook