"Disclaimer Container" - Where Did My Post Go?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Tue Jul 22, 2014 16:52

Just a quick aside: for me personally project b2 didn't go too fast, but because of my location the part were it became necessary to use a starter culture was just not feasible.
No starter cultures available and not really the right climate.
One day I will get to it though and re-read all the info and will come with more and more questions.

On topic:
I am also almost out of fresh sausages. I still have a bit of my version of fresh chorizo and a couple of Thai sausages, but they are not going to last very long......
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Post by oops1215 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:28

I would like to participate! I have made it in the past with beef and pork then hot smoked it. Tasty but dry looking for some consistency.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 04:23

Okay folks, here we are so far. Have you got any more ideas or suggestions?

Wedliny Domowe " Project KB" - For Beginners

1. Sambal Badjak
2. Shuswap
3. El DuckO
4. Grasshopper
5. Graybeard
6. Rgauthier20420
7. Spud
8. Oops1215
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Jul 25, 2014 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Wed Jul 23, 2014 09:31

Just a quickie.

How long do you take to get the possie organised.
I'm out of bounds come 27th Aug for 6 weeks.
Not really a problem just interested.

rgds Spud
dabrjn
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dabrjn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 13:30

I would like to participate too. Thanks.

david
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10

Spud, start with us for sure! We`ll just have to let you go on sabbatical leave for 6 weeks. The cool thing about the project is that there will be a permanent copy waiting for you when you get back. You can start on the recipes at your own rate. It`s easier when others are working "with" you at the same time and comparing notes, but not impossible for you to gain much information from their experiences later on. Good luck with your job.

Dabrjn (David), you`re on the roster pal. Hey, how is summer shapin` up in Delaware? Do you folks have any of those "cow critters" to chase around out there? :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
psykobillys

Post by psykobillys » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51

i'm new here, this is my first post in fact.
i'd like to get in on this project as well.

cheers!
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:18

CW, I'm curious about a projected begin date? Also, I know it's settled on Polish style throughout the different phases, but has a recipe been decided on?
dabrjn
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dabrjn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:57

CW,

Cow critters? Not familiar with the reference. This is chicken territory here on the delmarva penninsula. Several million a week face their death here! The crabs are great though.

david
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 08:16

Here`s how the roster looks so far.
Wedliny Domowe " Project KB" - For Beginners

1. Sambal Badjak
2. Shuswap
3. El DuckO
4. Grasshopper
5. Graybeard
6. Rgauthier20420
7. Spud
8. Oops1215
9. dabrjn
10. psykobillys

Dabrjn, I would trade you an entire heifer for a plate of those Delaware crabs!
rgauthier, you wrote:
CW, I'm curious about a projected begin date? Also, I know it's settled on Polish style throughout the different phases, but has a recipe been decided on?
How about we start in about a week? We can probably attract 5 more folks by then. In the last project, we covered the Slovenian Krainerwurst, Italian sausages, and the Spanish Chorizo. This time I`d like to include at least one good cured-smoked-cooked type Polish sausage in the project. The object of my search is to find a few sausages to demonstrate how one recipe can be made into three different types of sausage. Up front, we should talk about some of the fresh sausages with which to begin the project. Has anyone got a favorite "fresh" (not cured) sausage they`d like to make? I`ve got tons of recipes and all include modern cures and processing procedures. This is YOUR forum. Let`s make something you`d like to sink your teeth into. I could suggest a few if you`d like. For instance, everyone likes English "breakfast sausage", made with thyme and sage. We can show you how to make a "brown n' serve" sausage that would make Jimmy Dean jealous. You may ask why anyone would prep-cook or "brown" a sausage then freeze it until it is fully cooked and eaten later on. It's because there is less fat oxidation using this ol' time trick (and ol' Jimmy Dean knew it!). Lots of fun things to learn lie just ahead.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri Jul 25, 2014 13:50

Chuckwagon,

Are you retiring Project B2? I don't want too many pokers in the fire. I surely appreciate all the work and knowledge you give to this site. Thank you!

Jim
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 25, 2014 14:52

My first thought about recommending recipes was, why not use a compilation like Marianskis' "Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions" to learn about Polish sausages in general. After all, I know little about them, other than that they are popular and cover a wide range of preparation types.

But that would exclude all the Italians, Czechs, Spaniards, Chinese, even people from Utah (you know who you are) who have their own favorites. ...not good. There are some really tasty recipes out there from other lands and schools of thought. I'd rather keep it open to lots of varied countries' approaches.

I still think we need to have a basic text for the course, and the obvious choice is Marianskis' "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages." However,...

Sure, let's try one recipe which can be prepared the three different ways, but overall, I would like to see several fresh examples, several cured/smoked, etc, working our way down the "three-fold path" to sausage nirvana. After all, you CAN prepare any given recipe all three ways, but most recipes are best done in their traditional manner. The sausage recipes that have been developed over the years always focus on a single technique, rather than try to cover everything. We should be aware of that, make them in their own manner, and contrast and enjoy them that way.

...just my two cents worth.

...and I would vote to include Csabii.
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 15:00

Since the purpose of this course seems more geared towards getting a better understanding of the techniques involved with making different styled sausage, why not have a choices? Of course we're looking for something will translate through each phase nicely, but it doesn't need to be constricted to Polish right? How about a single style from several regions (spanish, polish, german, mexican, italian, etc)?

This way people will have an option as to what their favorite taste is, but will still be able to see the progression from different cooking styles. This will also give the on lookers and participants more exposure to some other regions of sausage and how they move from phase to phase.

With the experts that are on this forum, I've no doubt we'd be able to get great feedback regardless of what region a recipe came from.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 01:38

Jim, you wrote:
Chuckwagon,
Are you retiring Project B2? I don't want too many pokers in the fire. I surely appreciate all the work and knowledge you give to this site. Thank you!
Jim, thank you for the mighty kind words! (my paycheck). Project B2 was headed into the fully "dry-cured" type sausage and we need to bring that one to a close and open another "Project A2" for those who wish to continue working with molds, cures, and starter cultures for fully fermented-type sausage.

The Project KB is for rank-beginners and new members of our forum who are just beginning. I`ve designed it so there would be an emphasis on the basic procedures of the first three types of sausage, (1.) fresh (2.) cured-smoked-cooked (3.) semi-dried.

To answer your question, yes, let`s close out B2 and head into the challenging territory that fully dry-cured sausage offers us... IF we have enough folks showing interest. This is YOUR forum. I`m here to offer my limited expertise and make sure everyone follows the safety rules. We'll continue with the beginner's project at the same time in the "beginners forum" instead of the "fermented sausage forum".

Oh, and Jim... it`s not "pokers" in the fire when brandin` those cow critters! It`s "Irons" in the fire... (Pronounced "Rrrns" in the "Far"). :mrgreen: And there`s a brand just for you and Jean to use out here in the west. 2MK :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 04:11

The Duk (at 15,000 feet :roll: ) wrote:
But that would exclude all the Italians, Czechs, Spaniards, Chinese, even people from Utah (you know who you are) who have their own favorites. ...not good. There are some really tasty recipes out there from other lands and schools of thought. I'd rather keep it open to lots of varied countries' approaches.
I still think we need to have a basic text for the course, and the obvious choice is Marianskis' "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages." However,...
Sure, let's try one recipe which can be prepared the three different ways, but overall, I would like to see several fresh examples, several cured/smoked, etc, working our way down the "three-fold path" to sausage nirvana. After all, you CAN prepare any given recipe all three ways, but most recipes are best done in their traditional manner. The sausage recipes that have been developed over the years always focus on a single technique, rather than try to cover everything. We should be aware of that, make them in their own manner, and contrast and enjoy them that way.
...just my two cents worth.
...and I would vote to include Csabii.
and RGauthier wrote:
Since the purpose of this course seems more geared towards getting a better understanding of the techniques involved with making different styled sausage, why not have a choices?
I agree completely guys! I'd like to go just a bit slower, not trying to bite off too much at one time. I'd enjoy hearing all about people's experiences making these sausages and seeing more photos posted. Any more ideas or suggestions?