Busy, HOT Summer

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Busy, HOT Summer

Post by two_MN_kids » Sat Jul 28, 2012 22:30

I haven`t posted in awhile, but I have been busy making sausages (for a family reunion). So far I have made 15# of Tom`s Venison sausage, 10# of CW`s Tarragon Chicken sausage, 10# of Big Guy`s Chicken w/spinach and feta, and 20# of Butcher Packer Bier Bratwurst.

Also, I have 14# of Butt Bacon curing which should be ready for smoking about August 6th.

I`m just finishing smoking the last 10# of bratwurst this afternoon, and still have 15# of all-beef sausages and a 10# batch of Big Guy`s Special Sausage to make next week. On Monday I have a peck of baby cucumbers coming for fermented pickles.

I`m only taking about 4# of each type of sausage to the reunion, but everyone has been asking to try a variety of my sausages, so I have made several to choose from.

Life is good!
Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 01:40

Hey Jim, that sounds great! I sure hope you have some help. Is Jean giving you a hand with all this stuff? When is your reunion? Why not make several "cooked" type pepperonis with lots of freshly "cracked" black pepper. Use sweet Hungarian paprika just to show off and you can knock their socks off. (Spanish paprika has a bitter taste). Semi-dry (cooked) salami and pepperoni is a snap to make and you don't need special equipment. "Poker Face" pepperoni is made with Fermento. Instead of being fully dry-cured, it is "semi-dry" cured. Just an idea. You might have some fun. Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Jul 30, 2012 02:20

Chuckwagon wrote:I sure hope you have some help. Is Jean giving you a hand with all this stuff? When is your reunion?
The reunion is in two weeks, and I have a plate full of work to do until then. Jean usually gets home from work about the time I`m mixing and preparing for stuffing, and even after all the years we have been doing this, still enjoys getting into the fray and helping.

Hey CW, I willing to give all them recipes a try; maybe next month. There are so many things I want to try. I even got a small commercial upright freezer for free last month. Just not sure I can make it work for dry cured sausages as the shelve are all coil cooled. As a freezer it works great. After two days testing it the temperature was minus 15°F. Maybe I`ll keep it as a freezer and find another one for sausages.

:oops: I might be into a bit of a bind here. I just went down to turn the bacon I have been curing. I have it sitting in a meat tub in the refrigerator. When I turned them this time I noticed that the bags are leaking the curing brine/meat juices onto bottom of tub. I`m quite certain it won`t do much good there. I used some inexpensive zip type bags with a pull tab on them, and at least one has an opened seal. The rest may be leaking at the pull tab.

Is there some way to repackage these with the brine without a total loss of product? Brine loss seems to be from all four bags, but is less than 1/8 cup total.

It was a dry rub using Ross`s recipe.

Anyone have some suggestions? I can and am willing to vacuum seal them as I should have in the beginning, but I am concerned about cure loss. Can I add a small amount of new brine?

Many thanks in advance.
Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 02:31

Jim ,If it is still in the tub all you need do is scoop it up. I use freezer weight zipper bags and they seem very good. loosing a couple of ounces is not a panic situation. A minus 15 freezer is worth keeping as a freezer. You wll want it the next time you find a real bargain on some meat and need to room to store it. I bought 70 pounds of pork butts for 69 cents a pound late last winter. I bought 10 pounds of chicken legs for 69 cents per pound last week. Freezers are good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 07:20

Ross wrote:
Jim ,If it is still in the tub all you need do is scoop it up. I use freezer weight zipper bags and they seem very good. loosing a couple of ounces is not a panic situation.
I agree and Ross' advice is usually pretty sound - I just don't agree with his sailing techniques as he crashed into Uwanna's kayak last summer and sank it! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:21

Only 4# of each ! they will be clammering for more. LOL Have a great time. :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55

Chuckwagon wrote: I agree and Ross' advice is usually pretty sound - I just don't agree with his sailing techniques as he crashed into Uwanna's kayak last summer and sank it! :shock:
Well it was night and he wasn't showing a light. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Jul 30, 2012 14:54

You have been very busy. Sounds like a good get together in the making.
Dick

Never quit learning!
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Jul 30, 2012 16:16

First, an update on the bacon. The open bag has been replace and as much brine as could be, has been returned to new bag. All bags are sticky with sugar/honey, but seem to be staying sealed. :oops:

Although I come from a large family, the reunion is on the small side with 35-40 people coming. It's only the forth annual we have had, and it's still growing. I am bringing about 4 lbs. of each of 5 sausage variety. That's over 20 lbs. of meat or about 1/2 lb. per person.

Everyone else supplies the remainder of the food and beverages. If anyone goes hungry, they did it to themselves. :lol:

Jean and I really enjoy sharing our labors of love with family and friends. I want to thank the members of this forum for selflessly supplying recipes and guidance.

Such a great group of people! :grin:

Jim