But... its better for you, right?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 02, 2012 01:51

Cabonaia wrote:Butterbean, you nailed it. We will have to sneak our nites. I understand in old Italy they were scraped from urinal walls. Fact or fiction? Did Chuckwagon spread this one around?? All I know is that everybody from that era is DEAD!

Tonight I have 15 lbs. of pork butt to turn into something. My kids have already requested Mexican chorizo and smoked andouille. So I will do 5 lbs of each. Scratching my chin over item 3. Can't be anything dry cured because we are going to Yosemite next week and I don't trust my curing fridge to behave in my absence. Folks - any recommendations? Would love to use a recipe from this site. Something to roast over a fire.
Hire a fridge sitter.
Ross- tightwad home cook
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 02:27

Cabonaia wrote:Scratching my chin over item 3. Can't be anything dry cured because we are going to Yosemite next week and I don't trust my curing fridge to behave in my absence. Folks - any recommendations? Would love to use a recipe from this site. Something to roast over a fire.
How about some super high-quality hot dogs? Maybe that's anathema here... it could be hot-dog sized fresh sausage...maybe with lots of garlic and cayenne? Call 'em Klingon wurst...a warrior's dog. :wink: :grin:

Edit to add: Found this: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=2249#2249
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Aug 02, 2012 02:41

I'd go with hotdogs too. Some big ones. Maybe call them The Nose in keeping with Yosemite, Will you be climbing anything?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 04:37

Thanks guys. High quality hot dogs it is! No reason to shy away from any of the standards, if you ask me. I have NorCal Kid's bologna on my to-do list.

They will be fatties because I only have hog casings, but that's they way I like em.

Will let you know how they come out.

Not counting on climbing anything in Yosemite, but fishing is planned. It's a low water year, so will be hitting the lakes. We are camping at Yosemite Creek campground, about 7200 feet elevation.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 06:41

OR.... you could go with Bronsonville Jots... over a glowing campfire. Here's a link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=7803#7803
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 07:04

Thanks CW for the great suggestion. I already mixed up the spices for California Hot Links, from Len Poli's site. Got kind of late, so will grind/mix/stuff tomorrow, and smoke them on Sat. We are leaving on Tues., so I am thinking, freeze them Mon. night.

I mixed the cure and spices into the andouille and Mexican chorizo (except the vinegar) tonight, and will grind and stuff those to :shock: morrow. Hope that works out ok..... :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 07:18

Have a great trip. Hope the sausages are "magnifique"!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Tue May 14, 2013 07:22

Cabonaia wrote:..... free running vegetarian chickens (!!)...
Having raised chickens for many years, how do you keep a free running chicken from eating every bug, grub, worm, frog, lizard or other small creature it can catch so that it's a vegetarian? :roll:

-t

PS Sorry for posting in such an old thread, I just could not help myself!
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Tue May 14, 2013 15:39

:mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 14, 2013 17:23

Awww Shucks! Out here, our chickens have teeth! :roll: They are a little larger and a little more aggressive than normal chickens because they often swoop down and snatch up porcupines for lunch. Along about supper time, five or six will start circling overhead until they spot a Rocky Mountain submerged heifer in one of our lakes. These young bovines often enter the water, carefully at first, to "pre-marinate" during the month of April. They even do the back stroke until they reach the deep, take a long breath, and sink to the bottom where they not only test themselves (how long they can hold their breath), but to pre-marinate their delicious meaty bones. We add gallons of soy sauce to the lake water, along with a canoe full of garlic and ginger. A dump truck full of onions go into the water next, and remain until the marinade water tastes just right. Yes, some of those young cows just don`t bother to surface until late August. However, in June and July `round these parts, half a dozen of our Rocky Mountain Rapacious Roosters "dive" from the clouds in `clusters` (not flocks), picking up small submerged heifers with their chicken talons! What a heartbreaking sight it is... five or six chickens flying off with a young bellowing bovine clasped in their clenched, chicken-clutching claws. We don`t shoot these chickens anymore because it just makes them angry. So, we`ve resorted to using dynamite. If you visit our area, don`t mind the intermittent small explosions in the atmosphere. We`re just hunting chickens and "having a blast". :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue May 14, 2013 22:19, edited 3 times in total.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue May 14, 2013 18:38

Thewitt wrote:Having raised chickens for many years, how do you keep a free running chicken from eating every bug, grub, worm, frog, lizard or other small creature it can catch so that it's a vegetarian?
Hey Thewitt - welcome to the forum! I spent a decent amount of time in Penang a couple years back, and really loved it. Friendly people, amazing food!

You have to put the chicks through sensitivity training, teaching them the value of all life - even bugs and worms. It helps if you also teach them yoga. This has the added benefit of making them more supple. Then, when you eat them, you are getting a very tender, 100% vegetarian bird.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue May 14, 2013 19:53

I have been told, the only difference between a caged chicken and a range chicken. Is that the range chicken has a 10 minute head start. Just kidding of coarse.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed May 15, 2013 14:57

To label a chicken free range, you have to give them an opportunity to go outside. Apparently few of them do. The official definition: "Producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the outside." Maybe they should be called "free range opportunity" chickens.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed May 15, 2013 17:12

"Producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the outside."

Coyotes wouldn't eat chickens that were having a nice day outside, would they? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed May 15, 2013 17:19

"Free-Range Vegetarian Hot Dogs" it is. (The link posted above, http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=2249#2249 is for Chuckwagon's "Hobble Creek Hotdogs.")

Everyone knows that cows are vegetarian. Every equal-opportunity cow has the freedom to nose open the corral gate and head for Cow-i-fornia if she is the least bit clever. (From what I have seen of the "gifted" category in our public school systems, many qualify.) Other than equal gender opportunity, which they don't have (and therefore cannot serve in a combat military unit), they are the ideal candidate for consideration as a wholesome, new-age foodstuff.

As to casings, you can't be too careful, so go with the plastic casings. Any organic chemist can tell you that the polymer used is an organic compound. Even the plasticizer (a solvent) is an organic compound.

But be aware that sodium nitrite is NOT an organic compound (no carbon in the molecule), so be sure to mix it in at 150 ppm, so as to meet food processing standards but still qualify for "organic food" labeling.

Eat enough of these guys, er, gals, and even YOU might qualify for gifted status. ...no sausage maker left behind!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.