Looking for info on 2013 Wedliny Domowe in Poland

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
kielbasanjo

Looking for info on 2013 Wedliny Domowe in Poland

Post by kielbasanjo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:48

Hello

Does anyone have any information on the 8th annual 2013 Wedliny Domowe convention in Poland? Assuming it is the same time as the last conventions (late Aug), I would possibly like to attend and need to start planning for it now. Also, how much Polish would one need to speak to really engage with people there? I have rudimentary knowledge of the Polish language.

If this is not the right place for this inquiry, can someone tell me what forum or whom to contact about it?

Thanks in advance

Brian
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:29

Best way would be to go to the Memberlist, contact Maxwell, as he would know the most about it and can speak both languages. Good luck.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Fri Dec 28, 2012 18:26

WB VIII National Congress will be held from 22 to 25 August 2013. We invite you to participate. :D
The meeting comes Seminole (Marian Stanley) - do not worry about translation.
And so we had a good time together, because the food and drink unites nations. :D
Click this link to read the preliminary information http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewforum.php?f=99
We welcome all.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
kielbasanjo

Post by kielbasanjo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 16:29

Thanks guys for the quick reply and info, most appreciated.

Max - I see you are located in Bełchatów. This past summer I visited nearby Tomaszow Mazowiecki as my last name is Tomaszewski and I was curious to see perhaps where my last name orginates.

Thanks again for the info, I will be in touch if I have more questions.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 29, 2012 17:02

kielbasanjo wrote:Thanks guys for the quick reply and info, most appreciated.

Max - I see you are located in Bełchatów. This past summer I visited nearby Tomaszow Mazowiecki as my last name is Tomaszewski and I was curious to see perhaps where my last name orginates.

Kielbasanjo, most likely your name does not originate from a place but rather than from someone named Tomasz, so his son was Tomaszewski. The English translation of your name would be Thomson. Tomaszow was probably named after some landowner named Tomaszewski.
kielbasanjo

Post by kielbasanjo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 17:59

redzed wrote:
kielbasanjo wrote:Thanks guys for the quick reply and info, most appreciated.

Kielbasanjo, most likely your name does not originate from a place but rather than from someone named Tomasz, so his son was Tomaszewski. The English translation of your name would be Thomson. Tomaszow was probably named after some landowner named Tomaszewski.
Hi, thanks for the interest in the name discussion. From what I learned, last names can come from a mix of a person's name and/or place names. For example, this page:

http://www.one-name.org/profiles/tomasz ... tml#origin

discusses origins that start from a person that then lends their name to place that later people then use the place name as a surname - i.e., "3) Later when surnames were forming it seemed natural to call someone from that place (Tomaszow) Tomaszewski - one from the place of or related to Tomasz (Thomas). Possibly 'son of Tomasz'." Tomasz + ewski = Tomaszewski or "from Tomasz"

so that was why I was curious to visit Tomaszow Mazowiecki (and hopefully at some point Tomaszow Lubelski) to see where the full Tomaszewski might have originated.

Switching back to sausage, anyone ever try to make kiełbasa tomaszowska? See recipe for it from clicking on link shown on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/d72dtmd
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 30, 2012 05:56

Tomaszów Lubelski was named after Tomasz Zamojski in 1613 and Tomaszów Mazowiecki after Tomasz Ostrowski in 1788. Both came from powerful aristocratic families.
kielbasanjo

Post by kielbasanjo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:44

redzed wrote:Tomaszów Lubelski was named after Tomasz Zamojski in 1613 and Tomaszów Mazowiecki after Tomasz Ostrowski in 1788. Both came from powerful aristocratic families.
Thanks for those details! The Tom. Maz. website talks about the Ostrowski family.

So which of these or other cities you think lent it's name to Kiełbasa Tomaszowska (KT)?

See recipe for KT from clicking on link shown on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/d72dtmd
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 31, 2012 06:24

I could not find any information about the origin of the tomaszowska sausage. Perhaps the author of the book, who goes by the handle "Seminole" here will be able to shed some light on the subject. I also posed the question on the Polish WD site, so maybe some historian of sausage will be able to identify the birthplace of this sausage. Many decades ago I spent a year on an exchange scholarship at the Historical Institute at the University of Warsaw, but had little interest in sausage at the time. :lol:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewtopic ... 852#307852
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 02, 2013 07:06

Maxell, who is a co-author of the book Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipies and Instructions replied to my post on the Polish forum. He surmises that it is probably named after the Tomaszow Lubelski region. He lives not far from Tomaszow Mazowiecki and that particular sausage is not known there. I would also agree with this since T. Mazowiecki is a relatively new city, being established at the beginning of the 19th century, whereas T. Lubelski is a couple of centuries older.

Going back to your surname, it is also unlikely that it was taken from one of these burgs. Surnames were used in Poland by the 13th century, and that is before both towns were established. That leaves you with being named after some guy named Tomek. :grin: