At last things are moving. I want to tell the world

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

At last things are moving. I want to tell the world

Post by markjass » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36

On 22nd of February 2011 at 12.51pm a 6.34 magnitude earthquake situated 5.95 km deep occurred under the city of Christchurch, New Zealand. It caused the loss of 185 lives and scores of serious physical and mental injuries. It has also caused major damage to Christchurch and its infrastructure. Much more damage and a greater loss of lives and injuries would have occurred had lessons not been learned from other quakes around the world and in New Zealand.

It is very important for me to acknowledge that there are many still living in sub-standard housing and in over crowed situations in Christchurch. Yes, I am a lot better off than many others. My house was damaged and it has been a long road of not knowing what is going on. Prior to a letter today the last I heard about things was last July, it was from a disputes arbaratrator. All I gleaned was that there was a dispute between myinsures and the EQC. He told me that what was going on was a paper exercise. A year last ago last November I had been informed that a decision would be made by March last year as to what was going on with my house (remember I am one of thousands). Despite badgering EQC and my insurers nothing happened. Many issues have occurred since then including EQC thinking I own two houses and them mixing up my address with an undercap house in another street.
Anyway enough of that. A major step forward on my house has today. The EQC have agreed with my insures and have settled. The EQC is a New Zealand Government agency providing natural disaster insurance to residential property owners. They provide insurance cover up to $100 thousand plus GST (Goods and services tax15%). This is called the cap. If the damage is below cap my insurers pay nothing. Above this amount my own insurers pay the difference. From the outset my insurers said the damage was well above cap and they said that my house either need major repairs (including new concrete foundations) or to be demolished and rebuilt. My house is liveable. I was without sewerage for nearly 15 months. I used a chemical toilet then dug a long drop (pit toilet). I collected let the grey water and used it to water parts of my garden. The house is very wonky and has sunk by about 20 cm from one end to the other and has twisted the other way. It has also moved between 5 and 10 cm north.

What all this means is that. The $115 thousand dollars from the EQC goes to my insurers (who are my bank, which makes things much simpler). They pay my mortgage off and invest the remaining money. Fortunately my mortgage is much less than the cap. When my house is rebuilt I restart my mortgage payments. In the interim I may be mortgage free (need to find out more about this). I will save the money as I think there will be costs and expenses that will crop up. My bank has said they will honour the terms of my existing mortgage and will insure my new house. There are many other details that I am unsure of.
The next step will occur in 3-6 months. The underwriters will organise a core drilling of my land. This will indicate to them the type of foundations I need. I will then go on the waiting list for either a repair or rebuild (I think I will need a rebuild). As I had my house renovated a couple of years before the earthquake everything has to be replace to the same standard (same heating, double glazing etc). My house was built before the existing insulation guidelines (which are stricter) were brought in. So the insulation this will be brought up to current standards. I am not sure how long I will be out of my house. My insurance pays for alternative accommodation. I can also change the internal design and size of rooms (not something I plan to do). I am going to look into the cost of solar water heating (will have to pay extra for this). I may also have a small porch built as at present I go from my lounge directly outside. The other thing I need to think about is the roofing. At present it is tiled. During the shake almost a quarter of the roof tiles shifted. I am not sure about what type of roofing to get.

Mark
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:54

This is very good news for you. You have been in limbo for much too long. You have made no mention of family but are they also a concern?
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:42

That's great news for you, congratulations! I like fiberglass tile roofs, they're hard to start on fire and last forever. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:09

Mark, about a year ago I saw a chart of the earthquake activity in Christchurch. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's amazing that you folks are hangin' on. It's like all of your area has been selected to be shaken without mercy. I hope all works out for you pal. What an inconvenience all this is eh? Just be happy you don't have family injured.
Our sincerest hopes and wishes are with you my friend.
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D