some ideas please

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ajwillsnet
User
User

some ideas please

Post by ajwillsnet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 00:38

I just bought a boneless turkey breast from Walmart. Can some one give me some recipe ideas. I would like to brine cure it and smoke it afterwards.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Bert,
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: some ideas please

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 01:17

ajwillsnet wrote:I just bought a boneless turkey breast from Walmart. Can some one give me some recipe ideas. I would like to brine cure it and smoke it afterwards.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Bert,
Here's a place to start Bert. I'd imagine you'd want to cut down the brine quantities to at least half for part of a bird as opposed to a whole one. I also guess the recommended smoking temps would work fine as long as you remember when to pull the bird from the smoker when the desired internal temp is reached. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 01:18

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sat Feb 16, 2013 09:07

Hey Bert, I don't know exactly what. You're looking for but go here
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#LUNCHEON
Check out the turkey luncheon meat. I've never made it but been thinking about it for a while. I think it would be really good and kinda fun too. Anyway hope you find something you will enjoy. :grin:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 14:47

Hey guys, don`t forget to read the material on our own forum written by our very own Stan Marianski. Valuable information at this link: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/poultry-and-game/poultry

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 20:33

Bert,
CW's Smoke and Choke turkey with 7UP recipe is great. Have a look in history what Sawhorse did with his chickens. I have done a trial 7UP chicken the same and will never go back the old way.
As Ray says, WATCH THE INTERNAL TEMPERATURE for a moist result.
Good Luck.
Jan.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:10

They had cherry 7-up on sale around Christmas and I used this in a brine and they turned out very good. Another thing to try is add a little vanilla to the brine. It lends a very familiar, friendly flavor to the bird but no one can place what the flavor is.
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 03:47

I have had mixed results with brining turkey. Mainly because cheaper turkeys that most grocery stores sell are already have a salt solution added and I find that brining and a rub make it too salty. I tend to prefer an injection. I did a smoked turkey breast for the superbowl and just injected it with apple juice. I used a really basic BBQ rib rub and smoked on a mix of hickory and apple wood. It was AMAZING.

just my two cents.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 18, 2013 13:28

workingpoor wrote:I have had mixed results with brining turkey. Mainly because cheaper turkeys that most grocery stores sell are already have a salt solution added and I find that brining and a rub make it too salty. I tend to prefer an injection. I did a smoked turkey breast for the superbowl and just injected it with apple juice. I used a really basic BBQ rib rub and smoked on a mix of hickory and apple wood. It was AMAZING.

just my two cents.
Did you use any sodium nitrite to cure the turkey before smoking? I inject and soak turkey and chicken in CW's 7-up solution, it's got the Instacure #1 that prevents a untimely and ugly death. RAY