NorCalKid - Inspiration

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

NorCalKid - Inspiration

Post by Butterbean » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:30

I was intrigued by NorCal's post on the krakowska sausage so I decided to give this a try with some tweeks. Once I got started I ended up making some ring bologna, Jadwurst and some beef bologna. Essentially, all of these recipes are Marianski's with some tweeks of my own and off NorCal's fine thread.

I highly recommend the Krakowska and the bologna. If anyone decides to make the jadwurst I would suggest using very very gentle cured bacon OR cutting the salt back by maybe a third.

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 22:47

Dang, ButterBean, those beautiful sausages you've made there have INSPIRED me to get back at it!

I've not made Olive Loaf-but your shot there reminds me that I need to take some of the many jars of California olives I've packed into the pantry & start adding them to chubs.

That Krakowska looks simply amazing! :shock:

Great job!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 23:08

Butterbean,

Love the natural casing you used for the olive loaf. Great job!!!!
Rudy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 02:19

Indeed J.M.! You've got some terrific sausages there. Beautiful work. Congrats sir!
Have you ever tried Big Guy's "Splam" recipe?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 05, 2013 14:57

Thanks guys, the sausages are a big hit. The natural casing is one I pulled out of a steer myself to give it a try. Next steer I butcher I'll be spending more time in the gut pile for
sure cause this saved some serious money and you can always wash your hands. :lol:

Havn't tried the BigGuys splam yet. I've been meaning to make some cause I've never made anything BigGuy suggested that I didn't find spot on for my taste.

The other day I had an epithany on sausage making and curing. Can't really put it in words but I think the lights finally turned on and if I can keep these thoughts in mind I am sure to come up with some really good stuff in the future.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Mar 06, 2013 01:57

Butterbean, the Krakowska, Bologna and Jagdwurst look awesome.

I have added them to my every growing "to do" list in the order of Krakowska, Jagdwurst and Bologna.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 06, 2013 03:59

Is there anyway to make one pound batches of these?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 04:49

Is there anyway to make one pound batches of these?
Ross, why not make a more "convenient" three-pound batch, stuffed in the larger 4-7/8" red artificial bologna casing? It's easy enough to cut it in half, vac-seal, then freeze the remainder for later use. Works for me. :cool:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 04:54

I'm all for making big chubs...10lbs goes quickly in our house.
Maybe I need to 'upsize' my thinking.... :mrgreen:

Slicing off some mort....
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:02

Yeah! That`s it. Shucks, years ago we just had a couple of ranch hands hold up a large casing while we ran a couple of steers inside. We`d quickly shovel in some salt and cure, then lassooo the ends to close off the big sausage. We`d then tickle the critters from outside, makin` them jump around quite a bit, mixing their own sausage!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:40

[quote) Slicing off some mort....
Image[/quote)

Whoa, what a gal! I had to save this pic to e-mail to some buds, and my wife, bet she wouldn't be backin' down from pulling the trigger on a magnum pistola. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:10

ssorllih wrote:Is there anyway to make one pound batches of these?
I'm with CW on the freezing but .... anything is possible.

I stuffed some of the mince in into ring bologna casings and they were just over a pound apiece.

I don't see why you couldn't treat it like a terrine and use a circular tart mould with the removable bottom and line this with cellofane, stuff the mince with a little liquid smoke in the mix in this and wrap it tightly then cook it in a waterbath. You'd get the smoke and the shape and you might get the opportunity to piss off a purist which is always a good thing. Just a thought.

That is some sausage there!!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:36

Bean , I believe that you have a good idea there. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook