Crafting a bill in Congress

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
laripu
User
User

Crafting a bill in Congress

Post by laripu » Sat Oct 12, 2013 15:25

It's a very old joke: that crafting a bill in congress is like making sausage....it's better to just accept the result without looking at the process. The implication is that somehow making sausage is a disgusting thing to do.

Well, we know it isn't.

But recently, I've been asked by some people what making sausage was like, and I turned around the joke and said it was like crafting a bill in congress. No response. Deadpan faces. I asked, and it turned out they'd never heard the original joke, so the flip side made no sense to them.

Is it that obscure? Have you heard this joke? Do people ever suggest to you that sausage making is a disgusting activity?
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 15:42

Hey, I get it!

What I've heard is, "If you like sausage, don't watch how it's made." I think that transfers to your joke quite well, because people apply the above phrase to messy processes.

We who make sausage might more accurately say, "If you like crummy factory made sausage...." But to be fair, I've never watched sausage being made in a factory, so maybe the joke isn't accurate on that scale either! There are plenty of things I've heard are JUST AWFUL until I've actually seen them. The raising of veal calves, for instance. Butchering is another. When people make a mess of something they are likely to say, "I really butchered that!" They think of butchering as a messy, bloody process, and often confuse it with slaughtering.
Nobody says, "I really carved that up skillfully and cleanly - what a butcher job!" And nobody says, "If you like meat loaf, don't watch it being made!" But making sausages is a lot like making meat loaf.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 12, 2013 22:11

in either case it can be rather messy. There is a lot of stuff in both processes that you wouldn't allow in sensitive company at the dinner table.
Ross- tightwad home cook
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Sun Oct 13, 2013 00:44

When I talk to my co-workers about sausage making I get funny looks from most of them. That look at me as though I was an immigrant from some backward place. (Actually, I'm an immigrant from Canada...not exactly backward, after all.) I think they expect me to be wearing a jacket, no tie, and a white shirt buttoned all the way up, and my wife should be wearing a kerchief.

There's only one that doesn't...and he came to the United States from Albania as a child, and he and his parents make sausage themselves.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 16:22

It is definitely an unusual hobby. I guess it is not unusual for those who hunt, and by the looks of this site, especially not unusual for Canadians who hunt.

Now "charcuterie" is a big fad these days. Maybe you should tell your friends your hobby is charcuterie. Since it is a French word, you might throw a little pronunciation in with it...you know, half swallow the second r. Now you've moved from sausage to haute cuisine!
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Fri Oct 18, 2013 03:54

Cabonaia wrote:It is definitely an unusual hobby. I guess it is not unusual for those who hunt, and by the looks of this site, especially not unusual for Canadians who hunt.

Now "charcuterie" is a big fad these days. Maybe you should tell your friends your hobby is charcuterie. Since it is a French word, you might throw a little pronunciation in with it...you know, half swallow the second r. Now you've moved from sausage to haute cuisine!
C'est un tres bonne idee!

That means, "I'm down with that, bro!" :wink: :razz:

Reminds me... 17 years ago, when I was applying for the job I've been in all this time... I put zymurgy as my hobby. Home-brewing: the interviewer found both the hobby and the choice of words interesting. So I think I'll follow your advice and say that my hobbies are zymurgy and charcuterie, with rolled r's, mon ami! :mrgreen: