Almost at the end of the chapter

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Almost at the end of the chapter

Post by markjass » Sat Aug 09, 2014 13:52

I have been a bit preoccupied since well, I am not to sure when. Lets go back. In Feb 2011 Christchurch had an earthquake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Chris ... earthquake. For 18 months I was without sewerage. I gave up with a chemical toilet and built a long drop. I let the grey water flood over an area of the garden.

I have a small two bedroom stand alone house. It has tilted from one end to another (length wise) by 25 cm and by about 10 cm the other. After numerous surveys my insurance company said my house was for a rebuild. I wanted to take their offer of a pay out, but after a lot of research and legal advice I had to take the option of a rebuild (I could write a 10 thousand word essay on why I wanted to do this and why I did not). Basically I want to leave Christchurch. I have been single since the new year and the world is my oyster.

Since March I have been a bit unwell. The problem was caused by black mould from a leak in my bathroom (my insurance company put it down to the earthquake) . Because the house tilts downhill the water ran down into the spare bedroom. I have shut off the spare room, moved my computer into the lounge. I am well on the way to recovery, but have used up all my sick leave for the year (next entitlement is May 29 next year). This is not a sob story, I have had amazing support from many, many people and from some very unexpected groups. There are so many people who are worse off than me in the city. In a scale of 1 to 10 I am 1. Comparing my situation to the rest of the world I am a pathetic winger. I know it is all relative to your own perceptions and experiences.

My insurance company has been second to none, no bs, but things have taken time. I am now waiting to hear from the builders re-my rebuild. I have a completion date of May 2015. No start date. I hope the rebuild starts soon as I want to get on with the rest of my life.

There are so many people who helped out after the shake. The international urban search and rescue groups. The police and Army from Australia, the groups that made cakes and sent them into the hospital for staff (I am a Registered Nurse). The Nurses who came from Austrailia and other areas of NZ to help us out (writing this has brought tears to my eyes). This meant that we were overstaffed and could take time off work at very short notice (some day I am going to repay them) to sort out problems.

I also want to thank the NZ quilting group. For some unknown reason I was given a quilted bed spread by them. It is a piece of art. It gave me a real buzz and a sense that people care.

So how has this tied in with sausage making. Well my favourite sausage maker l (loved his Merguez) left town shortly after the big shake. I could not find what I wanted so I decided to make my own. The rest is history.

Thank you for reading this rambling, just remember that a random act of kindness or consideration can have have an amazing effect.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Sat Aug 09, 2014 15:59

@m, hang in there buddy! You were dealt the short end of the stick, in fact, the whole city has... But as an expat, I can tell you, pulling up roots at a fairly advanced age is not that easy! I did it six years ago, and sufferred greatly from it.
So just stuff your own sausages and sit tight, it will become better again...
JL
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 16:16

Markjass, last year our buddy Spud (Graham) sent me a map of the earthquake activity in New Zealand and the shaky ground in Chirstchurch is absolutely unbelievable. I don't know how anyone at all has survived all that activity. Good luck to you my friend; I hope you find some "stability". Maybe you'd better come up here in the Rockies and nurse some cows with me! :roll:
There are good people everywhere. In these troubled times, it seems we have to look twice to find 'em, but they're certainly out there. Many of those good folks are right here on WD!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 09, 2014 17:35

Ben Franklin stated the opinion that a tree often transplanted doesn't prosper.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 19:58

Hi Mark,
Good to see your post on the Forum and read about all the hassles you had and are still having.
Last year when you were at my place, you mentioned coming to settle in Australia eventually.
Is this still on the cards?
Hospitals here are screaming out for people like you.
Whenever you are in Brisbane, just phone me!!!!!
Keep in touch Mate!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 01:00

Hey Mark! We missed you on the forum! Keep on posting buddy!
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 23:12

Hope it gets better for you m8!