High rise house

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

High rise house

Post by markjass » Sun Oct 05, 2014 03:58

High rise house. It has been amazing watching this process. This house across the street is having its foundations fixed. I am not sure if they are going to pile it, dig out and relay the foundations or what. It was originally proposed that this was going to be done to my house. I am glad that it is not.

Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 05, 2014 05:14

Rather amazing what they can do with modern machines.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sun Oct 05, 2014 21:38

Ross,

You are right about the modern machines, but old school gets it done many times. Years ago I was responsible for a project that required the placement of two 10,000 lb. plus boilers in an elevated mechanical room with only a small entry door(in a vertical wall). I managed to work out all of the issues except how I would get the boiler off of the dollies that we would use to roll it into position -I was discussing this problem with my crew and one of the old timers said "we always used ice blocks". I asked what he was suggesting and he explained that they had always placed frozen sheets of ice under the item to be placed and pulled the dollies out from beneath the object and allowed the ice to gradually lower the unit to the deck. Since we were not allowed to drill or weld the subframes of the units and I could not come up with a better plan we tried it----danged if it didn't work! we were probably overkill on the ice blocks (frozen to our specs at a local firm) but it did allow us to gently place a couple of multi million dollar boilers precisely where designed. Since that time I have never dismissed a simple solution to an intricate problem--

Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Oct 08, 2014 01:04

Just spoken to the foreman. They are going to dig the concrete pad out and then dig down to 2 meters and start the foundations from there.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime